Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is there still hope or should I give up?

Sorry for the depressing message, but I'm starting to worry myself silly and was hoping to get some honest opinions.

According to my LMP I should be 6+6 today. On Tuesday afternoon I noticed that I wasn't nearly as tired as I had been for the last two weeks or as nauseous and my boobs were less sore, so a pretty dramatic loss of pregnancy symptoms. Then when I went to the toilet that evening I noticed some dark brown discharge when I wiped.

I wasn't too concerned until Wednesday morning when it had turned pink. This hasn't happened since, just a little more dark brown spotting yesterday and this afternoon.

I went to the doctors on Wednesday, as the spotting, combined with the lack of symptoms was concerning me. GP referred me to the local EPU where they examined my cervix (which was closed) and sent me for a blood test. HCG came back at 2529.

Went back yesterday for an internal scan, where they saw what they thought could be a gestational sac but said it was measuring less than 5 weeks and I was 6+5 according to my dates. Also couldn't detect an ectopic.

I went back today for a 2nd blood test and just got the results; 3345. So an increase of about 30% in 48hrs. They kept asking me if I was aware of what the symptoms of an ectopic were and to go straight to A&E if I experienced any of them.

I'm booked in for another scan in 10 days time but I think I might go mad with worry before then.

I know every pregnancy is different but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and what the outcome was for them (good or bad). I think I've resigned myself that this pregnancy isn't going to end well.

A very concerned mummy-to-be (hopefully!)

Replies

• Im sorry, I have no experience in this but I just wanted to say that I have everything crossed that everything is okay with your little bean. Hope someone else can help a little more hun, Big hugs.

xx
  • Sorry, I don't have any experience either but from the little I know isn't the increase in hcg good? Also, this early on it could be quite usual not to see a heartbeat, esp if you ov'd later, etc etc.

Don't give up yet, you never know what's going to happen. I don't have any symptoms really so am still not even convinced I am (except lack of af). Don't give up hope hun. Just try and keep busy for 10 days. I know, easier said that done though. xxxx
  • The rise in your hcg must be a good thing? ,maybe your just not as far along as you thought? even if you are 6 weeks according to lmp, maybe you ov'd later? Mw usually say not to worry about brown discarge it's mainly bright red that means the worst. surely if you have mc'd your hcg would have gone down??

Try not to worry too much, i'm sure everything will be fine x
  • I'm really sorry but I don't know the answer. O agree the rise is def a good thing, although I don't know what it's expected to be. Can't imagine how scared you must be. Really hope all is well. X x
  • a raise in hcg should be a good thing. im thinking of you lots and hope you little bean is made of sturdy sticky stuff xxx
  • Don't give up hope yet! What you are going through sounds just like my pregnancy with my little girl.

At 4wks I started having brown spotting (and after previous recurrent miscarriages we were fearing the worst) so they took some blood tests but after my inital set did double the next set only went up 30% in 48 hours...by this point we were so worried and the nurse said I was miscarrying again.

However, we went for a scan at 6 weeks and there was my perfect little baby with a heartbeat! (they said I was only 5+ weeks but I KNEW I was just over 6 and later scans proved my dates were right - remember they're measuring something SO tiny that even a mm can make a weeks difference)

I did continue to bleed for the whole of the 1st trimester on and off and then had a big bleed at 11 weeks but the main thing was that she was absolutely fine and is now a very busy little toddler image

So keep believing cause dreams really can come true! image

Good luck - I really hope everything goes well for you.

xx
  • A similar thing happened to me. By my dates I should have been 6+ weeks but at my scan they only dated me as 5 weeks (maybe less) I was so worried but I am now 37 weeks with a healthy baby. The fact your HCG levels have come back normal is a good thing. Never give up xx
  • I am currently 30 weeks pregnant... When I went for first scan I measured 2 weeks behind my lmp so basically had ovulated later than I thought (not unusual) I have spotted for 2 weeks from 10 -12 weeks and have never really had any pregnancy symptoms..

Hope that gives you some hope I really think you have nothing to worry about x
  • Thanks so much for your replies girls. It's good to hear your stories and they have made me feel a bit more hopeful.

You're right that the increase in HCG is good, but from what I've read it should really double and a slower rising HCG level can be an indication of an ectopic. I think I need to step away from google!

I've started brown spotting again this morning, but I feel a bit nauseous and have sore boobs again so maybe this is just what my pregnancy is going to be like!

I'll let you know how I get on on 22nd with my next scan.

Fingers crossed!

xxx
  • Try to keep positive, it's good the the levels are going up and the fact the symptoms have come back must be a good sign. Keeping everything crossed for you!
  • Hi guys,

Thought I'd update with what's been happening with me since my last post.

So, after my slow rising HCG level on Friday 12th the EPU contacted me to ask me to go back in on the Tuesday to see the doctor, just to discuss how I was feeling. I think they still had a possible ectopic on their minds. The doctor had a poke around my stomach and said that he was reasonably happy to assume it wasn't ectopic as I would have -hit the roof' with pain during the poking if it had been.

I returned to work feeling a little more confident and pleased that it probably wasn't ectopic. Then throughout the afternoon the cramps I'd been having started to get more painful and when I went to the toilet around 2.30pm the brown discharge had changed to bright red blood. Feeling very sorry for myself I went home from work. My husband rang the EPU and asked if we should go back and they said I was fine to stay at home if I was happy to do so but to go to A&E if I couldn't cope with the pain.

For the next 3 days the cramps go more painful (worse than normal period pain) and the bleeding worsened (similar to a normal period, so not really heavy), with some small dark red clots. Then on Saturday afternoon I passed a larger clot about 1 x 4 cm, which wasn't just red in colour, a bit pink and more opaque. From here the pain all but disappeared but the bleeding remained.

I returned to the EPU for the scan they booked for me 10 days ago where they saw something in my uterus, which they thought might be clots. They were a little concerned about my right ovary. At my last scan they saw what they thought might have been a corpus luteum cyst but couldn't rule it out as an ectopic. This mass was still present so they still wouldn't rule out an ectopic. The doctor wanted to take another blood sample and said if my HCG levels had dropped to around 500 she would be satisfied that I had had a miscarriage and we could continue with conservative management as that was what I'd been doing anyway. My HCG came back at ~1500. So it had approximately halved since the last one I'd had but wasn't as low as expected. The nurse rang me back later and said the doctor was still happy to treat it as a miscarriage and I could go back and talk through my options if I wanted to or just carry on with the conservative management and come back for another scan in 10 days.

So basically, there isn't going to be a baby this time around for me and I'm gutted. I just want the bleeding to stop so I can feel a bit more normal and get back to TTC again. I've been bleeding, in one form or another, for 2 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be slowing down and I'm getting a bit sick of it. Any ideas how much longer it's be?

Sorry this is a bit long, but it helps to write it all down. Thanks for listening and good luck with the rest of your pregnancies. Hopefully I'll be back in another -Due in' forum soon!

xxx
  • So sorry Peachy image Wishing you all the best for the future x
  • So sorry Peachy. Hope the bleeding stops soon for you and you can try to get back to normal.

Wishing you all the best for the future
  • I'm so sorry to hear your news fingers crossed you can TTc very soon
  • sorry very sorry for you. Hope the bleeding stops and you get a sticky bean soon xxx
  • So sorry to read this peachy image All the best for the future and I hope you can start TTC again very soon xxx
  • So sorry peachy, that's really sad news. I have no idea what you shoul expect but hope it stops soon and you get your sticky bfp. Take care of yourself. X x
  • So sorry to hear this peachy but I hope it all stops soon and you feel all back to normal. Big hugs and I hope to see your name in another DI forum in the near future xxx
  • Thanks for you comments girls. I just had a phone call from the midwife to give me a date for my 12 week scan. the hospital hadn't told my doctors surgery about the miscarriage and I hadn't got round to doing it either.

Felt a bit rotten :cry:
  • I'm so sorry to read about your mc...and about the hospital ringing up.

There's no real set time how long the bleeding will last (all 3 of mine went on different lengths and were so different) but I really hope it doesn't last much longer for you.

You're in my thoughts

xx