Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Medicine during pregnancy?

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the situation is with over the counter medicines when you're pregnant? I'm choked with the cold & have a sore throat, sore ears & a cough. I just wondered whether its ok to take paracetamol or ibuprofen or any sort of flu-ey type tablets (lemsip or beechams type of thing). Also throat pastils & cough medicine? Not ill enough to go to my doctors & know they won't give antibiotics or anything for the cold so happy just to self-medicate but just not sure what I can take when pregnant. At the moment i'm just having plenty fluid & fruit juice as rather be safe than sorry but if there's anything that anyone knows if definitely ok to take then that might help.

Hope everyone else is keeping well xx

Replies

• I know you can't have ibuprofen but paracetamol is fine. The only thing with cold and flu remedies is they're usually a mix of stuff. The best thing to do is ask your pharmacist to suggest what to take. They're trained up with what is safe in all sorts of situations.

• It's just plain old paracetamol I'm afraid hun, all the cold and flu meds say aren't suitable in pregnancy. I caught every cold and flu bug going when I was pregnant with ds, was desperate for some sudofed xx
  • I've been poorly with flu like symptoms as well image I went to doctor as no one would give me anything they just say go to your GP !! He said Paracetamol was fine and he gave me some Codeine which is also fine but you cant but it over the counter , It did help loads to be honest i had a major head ache , sore throat and limbs etc so might be worth going image xx
  • and honey and lemon with hot water - but that's it. It sucks getting ill when pg! Hope you feel better soon x