Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Apr 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone else had NHS scan at 10 weeks?

Hi all!

I'm just after a bit of advice. I had my NHS scan last week, and Bubba measured 10ks exactly, and showed heartbeat etc- a hell of a relief! The sonographer didn't really tell us much, apart from that it had a heartbeat (didn't tell us rates per min or anything), we were in and out in 5 minutes. Hubby says this is because everything looks fine, and I can see what he means. She said she doesn't want to see me again until 20wks. So I'm just wondering if its now ok to tell friends- my plan is to tell them next Saturday, when i'll be 11 + 3. Do you think that's ok or would it be a better to wait until after 12? Also I'm struggling with the idea of not seeing Bubba again for another 10 weeks, so am wondering whether to get private scan in between...?

Replies

• I had a scan at 10 weeks (thought I was 12 - now 37!) and they made me go back at 12 to do the downs test and other tests they do cos they said that they couldn't do their tests at 10 weeks.. So I would insist on going back again if I was you... Also the difference in the 2 weeks was sbsolutly amazing!!

However I did tell a lot of people our news after the 10 weeks scan cos it looked strong and well and then more after 12 weeks x
  • We had an early scan on Monday I was 9 +4 , I decided to tell the girls at work and hubby has told his work but have not announced on fb or anything yet, - going to wait till Ive had my 12 week scan. Our close friends and family already knew. I think if I were you I would tell friends as planned.

Its a long wait but you will get to hear the heartbeat at mw apointment which is really nice as well, I have mw apointment at 16 wks. x x
  • I think you'll be fine to tell at 11+3. Things don't magically change at 12 weeks, it just guidance, I'm sure a few days either side won't make a difference.

One of my friends had her dating scan at 10 weeks too and didn't get seen again until 20 weeks. I know testing varies between PCTs, so maybe yours doesn't do nuchal screening routinely?
  • I wld ask as if u want the nuchal you will need to go back. I went at 111 Then 13 wks and the difference is amazing x
  • I wouldn't worry about telling them at 11+3. If they only offer a dating scan in your area then it's quite normal to not see you again until 20 weeks but if they usually do nuchal screening that can't be done before 11weeks xx
  • I had a scan at about 11 weeks last time because of bleeding, but was still allowed the dating scan a couple of weeks later. The difference between the two were amazing. The PCT didn't do NT screening then so we had the blood tests at 16 weeks, but they do offer it now.

If you want your NT screening then push for the appointment to be kept xx
  • last time round I had an early scan at 6 weeks due to a bleed, I was then told that I would not need a 12 week one as I was dated there and then and a heartbeat was present. I was a bit gutted about it and ended up paying for a private scan at 14 weeks as I could not wait till 20 weeks. We told family and friends after the 6 weeks scan but didn't post on FB or anything until I hit the 2nd trimester.