Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

downs test results advice plz

ive had fone call 2day and they have said im 99.1% of not having downs baby but i have a 0.9% chance. they offering me amnio, got decide soon as need it next wk but that carrys risk of miscarrige im so scared and going through it alone as the dad isnt supporting me emotionally any more xxx

Replies

• Dont have much advice hun but wanted to give you some hugs. Just try to think of it that its less than 1 in 100 chance which is still rather low. If I was in your position I think I would have to decide if the results of the amnio would make any difference to my decision and then if not I wouldnt take the risk.

Big hugs though xxx
  • thankyou, im so scared n confused part wants know part doesnt, but couldnt bare if i miscarried cos had the test, but i have another 25wks to wait til baby due xx
  • Hey hun GC from DIF2012. Compare both scenarios, best and worst and imagine how you'd feel with either outcome. Only you can make this decision, good luck chick xxx
  • Sorry i can't offer much advice either really as i've never been in your situation but i've never chose to find out i don't bother with any of the tests as i'd rather not know. As Steph has more or less said though, would it make any difference to how you feel about your baby if you knew or not?? xxx
  • I don't think anyone can answer this one for you, but the ladies before have offered very sound opinions and i'd say the same, weigh up what the pros and cons are for you personally.

We can only offer what we'd do in that situation and everyone is different. But shout if you need to talk it through some more. x
  • One of the things that I read when having ds was it wasn't the test itself it was the person carrying it out that was what you needed to enquire about. How long have they been doing it? Have they had anyone miscarry after the test was performed etc etc. You are perfectly entitled to ask these questions and obviously by having the nuchal scan in the first place you wanted to know the risks.

My oh's niece is severely disabled and I know how incredibly hard it is for 24 hour care and in and out of hospital. I know that I couldn't do it and therefore I would consider the amnio very carefully and I probably would go ahead with it. That's a personal opinion though and like the other girls have said, only one you can make. Whatever you do you'll get the support you need on here even if you don't get it from the father. xx
  • G/C from DIF, this is the reason we declined the tests as it causes such worry.

Wanted to add a friend of mine has a high risk of 1:65 she did not have the amino and has a perfectly healthy baby girl, you can get low results and then have a healthy baby. If you research it you will find the majority turn out like this. Good luck xxx
  • G/C but the thing that always got me with these tests is that they are only testing for down's, they don't test for other things such as cystic fibrosis, hepititus, etc until after the birth yet if baby has those it's just as hard work as having a down's baby. As a mum, you'll love and care for your baby regardless, yes knowing in advance can help you prepare to a degree but you'll never really know until baby is in your arms. The chance is slight, personally I wouldn't risk the amnio and take comfort from the fact the greater chance is no risk.
  • i have decided not to have the amnio now they have said if i change my mind i can have it at 32wks then would be a risk of bringing on labour which is a lot safer that far than now.. at the end of day we will love our baby no matter what so dont have to have it now thankyou ladies for all ure advice and support xxxx
  • Hi,

I've just had my screening result back and I have a 1 in 111 chance of having a child with a chromosomal defect. I too have decided to decline the amnio as Im too worried about the risks.

The counsellor told me that there is a good chance that the 20 week scan will give a good indication of whether the baby has downs ( I think she said the odds were 50/50 detection at 20 week scan). So I'm happy with that and I'll go with whatever fate deals me.

Hope all is well

Kxxx
  • hi kishha, its nice to speak to some one with the same experience when is you 20 wks scan they hadnt mentioned anything like that to me, my scan 1st dec going see midwife 2moro for check up to xx
  • Hi my 20 week scan is 6th December.

I think the scan can pick up indicators that point to downs but then it's only 50/50 correct. I guess if no signs show at scan then that will reduce your odds further. Main indicators are nose bone, femur length and heart defects.

Fingers crossed all is fine.

Kxx