Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

job interview dilemma

hi ladies. i was made redundant in Feb from a job i really enjoyed and have been temping ever since applying for jobs but nothing came anything. then a couple of weeks ago a really good job came up at the place im temping (in another department) so i applied. then i got my bfp and today i got sent a letter asking me to interview in a couple of weeks. now im in a really awkward situation where ill be eight weeks pg when i have the interview and twelve weeks if i get the job. i really want the job and am worried about what will happened if i get it and how they will react when i have to tell them a few weeks into the job and(its my second bay so think it will be obvious early!). Im also worriedabout the interview because utter involves dinner with the interviewers and other staff . they asked me to let them know dietary requirements which is difficult anyway cos Im vegetarian but how they can i possibly tell them the things i cant eat without it being obvious Im pregnant?

Replies

• I'm a believer in not worrying about a problem until it becomes a problem. Worst case scenario you don't get the job - the interview will be good experience. If you are offered the job you can consider your options then. They can't penalise you for being pregnant so it's a question as to if your happy accepting. You could get a good 6/7 months experience in your new role before leaving and who's to say how long you'll have maternity leave...

Other than pate or certain cheeses what else is there you can't eat? 

Good luck with your interview, knock em dead! x

• hi lolopop that is very sensible thinking, i think i worry ahead too much! wrt the foid im guessing it will be sarnies and the problem with that is that people usually think egg mayo or cheese and if its something like brie or goats cheese i wont be able to eat it which could be really awkward cos the dinner is part of tge interview as they are trying to guage personality :/
  • Hi Devon_Mummy I know what you mean about the interview, I have one on Thursday for a job I really want that will set me up for life really, and dreading telling them I'm pregnant if I get it. It's only the first stage too, and worried if I get to the second stage when that will be and whether I'll be showing by then...I was a bit reassured when I read their equal opportunities form though, which said they won't discriminate on the grounds of... pregnancy! The very first thing it said, never seen that on a form before.

With regard to your food... I guess you being a veggie solves a lot of problems in terms of pate and undercooked meat, couldn't you just say something like "I'm a vegetarian....oh and I really don't like goats cheese!" in a relaxed way, they know you anyway I guess so you can get away with being a bit over friendly in that way. Egg mayo I would think would be fine, the eggs would have to be cooked right through and shop bought mayo is fine. The odd tuna sandwich won't do any harm either..

Hope that helps & good luck! x 

• i always worry about mayo so try to avoid it, but it makes buying sarnies out near impossible! Hubby thinks i should say im olactose intolerant but i think they will tear their hair out if they had to find something for a lactose intolerant veggie! Plus if i get the job theyll then see me scoffing cheese and yoghurt at work lol

• Well firstly congratulations on the interview invite!

Yeah just let them know your veggie, you'll be fine if its egg coz scrambled eggs are always cooked hard. I think you'll be ok with the cheeses to the chances of it been a "bad" cheese is unlikely and if it is then just eat it....a one off sandwich won't hurt image

(i ate brie and goats cheese loads with my dd)

With regards to pg and telling your new boss....just don't! Make sure you have a loose fit uniform (ask for a size bigger if they supply one). You don't need to tell them till loads later legally. Plus you've worked there a while so its not like your new new.

I wouldn't worry, if there mad when you tell them, its tough! A lass I used to work with did this and we just had to get on with it lol

• Thanks ladies, i think ive got too much of a conscience and i need to be a bit selfish and just go for what I want and not worry so much about what other people think. Besides I didnt klnow I was preganant when i applied! If i do get this job it will be the answer to all our financial problems as it pays more than my pervious job, Fingers crossed they just produce a cheddar and pickle sandwich for me!

• p.s Pinklullaby, fingers crossed for your interview on Thursday xxx

• Thanks hun. Yes they will do plain old cheddar and you'll wonder what on earth you were worrying about (nothing beats a cheddar cheese sandwich in my opinion anyway!)

• Good luck for your interviews ladies...

Devon_mummy I wouldnt worry too much Im not sure they are gonna be that bothered by what you eat but just to try and suss you out in a more informal setting over a meal??? At the end of the end having food likes or dislikes surely doesnt disriminate on whether u would be good at ur job or not?

Try not to worry too much hun and just go with the flow x