Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

my first doc. appt tomorrow.. help!!!

Hi... i'm gonna have my first doctor appointment tomorrow....

This's my first pregnancy and donno whats goin to happen!!! i'll be 9+3 by tomorrow.. can anyone tell me what my doctor is gonna check??? do i need a pap smear again? (i had it jus 2 months ago) are they goin to scan my baby??  i'm soo nervous ....!!

is it te time for first trimister screening?? or CVS?? will it be painful?? can anyone help???

Replies

• hi sweet, first of all relax!!!!

my appointment is tomorrow too but this is my 2nd baby,

first appointment is generally lots of questions about you and your partners medical history, you should prob take a urine sample, they may do blood tests and let you hear babies heartbeat, but theres no real in depth checks unless you have any health issues, 

after it you will wonder what you were stressed about, xx

• the doctor doesn't do much. they'll probably ask you a few questions about dates and advise you on food to avoid and register you on the system for the midwives. your first midwife appointment at eight to ten weeks will be to fill in your green pregnancy notes with your pregnancy, health and family history and to organise your twelve week scan. sometimes they ask you to give a wee sample and test it. i don't usually bother going to doctors and just register with midwives straight away x
  • HI Devonmummy - sorry to jump on the month before due date group - thought I would say hi and thanks for the info bout the doctors, I think in our area you can just book in with the midwife...but also if you have any issues, go to EPU...how are you doing?

• You're in the US aren't you hun? I think the process may be similar to I have here - I saw the gynaecologist at 8+2 and she went through my history, did an internal scan, took bloods (lots but that's common at first appt), took my bp and weighed me. Think thats about it! Good luck tomorrow x
  • hi Claire, i think the system is slightly different in each area but it us unlikely they will do a smear test. some doctors do a blood test, especially if you've had problems in the past with anemia. Im doing good Clare but so so anxious this time round as Im so worried ill have a mc again. i don't think ill relax until i see a little face on the screen so am hoping the midwife will organise an early scan at my booking in appointment on Friday. i had a tiny smear of blood last night too which really worried me but so far nothing more (fingers crossed)
  • Thank you all for the info... i'm in US.. !!! think the procedure will be almost same(hope).... getting ready for my doc visit... its 7 am here .. still 2 hrs to go... so anxious... i donno much about  appointments as this is the first time but when i called them yesterday for info. they said that i may be scanned.. but they didn't tell me anything abt midwife apt ..... lets see wat happens.... will update soon.... image

•    Hi marieB is ur appointment done..... ???