Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Blood Groups

Can't believe we haven't done this one before! I was wondering, now we have all had babies we should know our blood groups. Thought it might be interesting seeing if our forum is a microcosm of society and if the most normal one is our most normal one!

I'm A positive

Replies

• I'm A Positive as well image xx
  • Sorry ladies im breaking the trend!

Im O Negative.xx.
  • I'm A positive

Shell xx
  • Redz, did you have to have the anti-d injections then? x
  • Redz, did you have to have the anti-d injections then? x

Hi Kimmy,

Yep i had the Anti D - the 2 i had whilst pregnant were no problem, the one i had post delivery was a killer! - the bruise i had afterwards was awful. I think the midwife must have stabbed me with the needle so hard im surprised the needle didnt break!:lol:
  • a positive too
  • I'm another A positive, does anyone know how long after chilbirth I can start giving blood again?

Cat xxx
  • I'm AB Positive.
  • Mummy Cat- I thought a year as that's how long it is after a piercing/tattoo but don't quote me on that x
  • B+

I've never given blood as i had piercing when younger or been pg but i will do this time as soon as i'm allowed.
  • 0+ I think!

I have a high plasma count though, so I don't give blood as normal, I give plasma, same as my mum and sisters, it was discovered when we went on the bone marrow register so we only go once every year!

Bets XxX
  • I'm O neg and an Anti-D lady. My first was a positive baby so needed anti- D after his birth but Jack is also O neg so didnt need one this time - Hooray! x
  • Kirsty, explain it to me. What's the issue with having a positive baby? x
  • I'm A negative and Sophie is A positive so had the Anti D injections. That one post delivery was awful - really big bruise for weeks too!

As you may be aware there are four main blood groups or
    types (A, B, AB and O).
    Included in these blood groups is a substance known as
    Rh factor. Eighty-five percent of our population have the
    factor and are Rh positive. The remaining 15 per cent lack
    the factor and are Rh negative. One of the Rh factors called
    Rh D is especially important.Like all blood groups the Rh factors is inherited. If an Rh negative woman falls pregnant to an Rh positive man, there is a good chance that her baby will be Rh positive. During
    the pregnancy and birthing process, there is a risk that some
    of the baby's blood cells will get into the mother's blood
    stream and she will form antibodies against the baby's blood. If a mother who has developed the antibodies has a Rh positive baby, her antibodies will cross the placenta and
    may damage the baby's red blood cells.
    Untreated babies may be anaemic, have a risk of brain
    damage or even die before birth. Giving Anti-D to an Rh negative mother helps her stop making antibodies.
  • im A negative and had positive baby so had the jabs too
    in fact amongst my friends i know of 3 more 'negative' ladies and one of those knows several more - i thought being a negative was meant to be rare lol!!

j xxx