Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

:cry: advice/reassurance please

Hi ladies, sorry havent been on much lately Holly has been keeping me quite busy!!

Today I got results for my smear test and it has shown "borderline cell changes" I have to go to the colposcopy clinic next month.
Im so scared, I just assumed it would come back all fine, and im sure its probably not a big deal but I cant help thinking the worst.

Have any of you had this before?

I was so happy about ttc again, and really enjoying my beautiful little girl and now I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me.
:cry:

Replies

• Hi Lisa,

I have had this before, on more than one occasion, but following colposcopies and further tests, everything came back fine. Do try not to worry too much hun image

The colposcopy is no more uncomfortable than a smear, although it does last a little longer. I had to have my feet in stirrups, and (embarrassing image!) was told to leave my shoes on for comfort..... so the first time I had my legs in stirrups in front of a very attractive doctor, whilst wearing a hospital gown and knee high boots! Not good..... so definitely think about footwear image

My results came through the post within about a week I think and I was recommended to have a repeat smear three months later, which was also ok.

I hope it goes well for you, and just focus on ttc and your little lady.

Any questions feel free to message me.

Em xx
  • Replyed in baby x
  • Hey Lisa, my frind had this and all was fine, don't think that it's that unusual. I know it must be scary but try not to let it get you down. The fact you're waiting a month for your appointment suggests it's hopefully nothing urgent. Good luck with your TTC! xx
  • thank you ladies, feeling much better about it today. I'd never heard of anyone being called for it before but then its not something people really talk about I guess!! And the doctor did tell me if it was urgent I would have been called in straight away. So im sure it will all be fine. Might hold off on the ttc for a month or 2 just in case though.
  • Hiya Lisa,

I've had this done but I also went on to have loop excision after the colposcopy. Please don't worry about it, it'll be fine.

I'll be completely honest - I found the colposcopy uncomfy but I also had several biopsies at the same time. There was a monitor right at the side of me which displayed everything the Dr was looking at. I didn't want to watch my cervix so I chose to turn away! If you are really worried it can be done under anaesthetic (my hospital offered that anyway) but I don't think it's needed. It's just like a thorough smear and doesn't last long.

I had pre-cancerous cells. This means the cells are abnormal and if left for any length of time could develop into something more serious. So it's good you're getting it checked out now and not ignoring it. I had to go for the loop excision (Lletz) which is done under general anaesthetic and they basically zap/burn the abnormal cells off. I wasn't in any pain afterwards and was allowed home the same day, just had a bit of bleeding. You will then have to have follow up smears every few months.

Shell xx

[Modified by: floss78 on April 20, 2010 09:14 AM]

• HI hun - As someone that has been through it all (wont go into details) I can assure you that a colp is ok (ish - as much as it can be). It is uncomfortable but not agony.
    Its so important to have them when needed and keep up with smears.

Take Care sweet.
  • Hey....
    I dont have any advice, but I just wanted to wish you well for your appointment.
    xxx