Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleeping

Hi ladies

I think i have posted this before but i have got myself into the silly routine of holding Lily and shhhh'ing to sleep which works a treat 90% of the time but then i put her down and she will 9/10 wake up and were back to square one.

I know its bcoz shes lovely and warm cudled into me and then into a big space on her own.
so...........i have just put her down when she was rubbing her eyes and whining a little and she cried so i sat next to her kept putting her dummy back in, oh boy did she scream but after 5-10 mins she was flat out.

feel a bit nasty but also a bit proud of myslef for sticking it out. i didnt leave her so wouldnt say it was controlled crying but didnt pick her up and rock is what im trying to say lol

image xxx

Replies

• well done!!
    we were the same (holding and ssssh'ing) until 1 night when oh was in work i just couldn't do it any longer and put riley in his moses next to my bed and just lay there until he fell asleep, didnt take long. and now he wont sleep any other way but to put him down to fall asleep by himself, he'll cry in his sleep sometimes (which is why he's in his own room now) but i doesn't disturb anyone but me and he is sleeping straight through every night now!!

jo and riley 4 months
    xxxxxxx
  • Jack started sleeping through when I did the same newlook. I stuggled for years trying to 'trick' Brad into sleeping and gave myself and him years of sleepless nights. Some nights Jack will fall asleep on his bottle before I get chance to put him to bed but if he wakes up (which he nearly always will) when I put him down, he rubs his eyes and goes to sleep. I'm sure this is because he often goes down awake so knows where he is.

He's badly teething this week and had tummy pains and runs so he's had a lot more cuddles but he's still slept all night. Last night he woke up and I just stroked his head and put my hand next to his cheek and he went straight back over.

He doesn't even want a dummy now although has taken quite a shine to both hands at once now he's teething! lol

Well done and keep going. I find though if he cries for more than a couple of minutes, it can be due to wind so I pick him up, give him a little burp and then put him down. He's also been sick once when I put him down and was very quiet about it so never leave the room until I know he's properly asleep (hands above his head) then I'll put the monitor on and go downstairs. I put the nightlight on the monitor but pull the door almost shut. If I leave the landing light on, he often wakes as he likes it dark. He's usually asleep in minutes after a little shuffling, eye rubbing and singing! Also likes 10 hours and have to wake him in the morning...Bliss x
  • Hi hun
    Iwish Lily would sleep through, i know she is only 15weeks but 15weeks with not 1 full nights sleep....its starting to take its toll lol

Ionly left her to go to sleep the once and havent since, shes a bit of a drama queen and cries quite a lot when tired so i find it easier to cuddle her to sleep...bad move really.

she seems to sleep from 8ish til 1-2 ish but then stirs quita a bit from then until 5.30-6.

is Jack in his own room? xx
  • She'll not be long by the sound of it hun. Dont want to preach (sp?) but it is often a lot harder to cuddle them to sleep but you do what works for you. I cuddled Brad to sleep for 3 years so I cant talk! lol I can only say it's easier as Jack likes it this way and is sooooo placid and laid back but I couldnt leave him crying either so I know where you're coming from. Think I'm just lucky he's so relaxed and chilled out! Jack is still in our room in his crib which he loves so bit worried to move him in case he starts waking up again but he's so big I think we'll have to do it after xmas. It also means that I cant put the light on in my room so hubby gets his work stuff on in the dark.....lol

I used to also lock up and watch tele in bed when hubby was in nights before Jack was born so once he is in his own room, I'll be doing that again. He kicked the covers off last night so think I'll try him in one of those sleeping bags soon too...

K x
  • i wish i could put her down to sleep but the second i do she wakes up or if i do get her down successfully i tiptoe around as she is such a slight sleeper....im talking during the day now.

i know she is still only little but i want her to know whos boss and learn to sleep by herself.

Jack sounds like a good lil boy!" welll done you xxxx
  • Hey hun, don't despair the sleeping thro will happen and kinda out of the blue too! Fred isn't exactly sleeping the 12 hours others are but he is going from about 7pm til around 5am which is bliss after the weeks of broken nights. he did this at 16 weeks so fingers crossed for you.

I have to hold fred upright for 20 mins after feeding him cos of reflux so at bedtime he has always either fallen asleep on the boob and I put him to my shoulder, or he falls asleep whilst I'm holding him. In the last few nights tho he seems frustrated by me holding him and shuffles around but when I put him down he goes all relaxed!

In the daytime tho I stil have to cuddle him off to sleep unless we're on the move. he started being quite good and going quietly off with his dummy in, but more recently he's started really getting screamy for a few mins before dropping off and if I put him down he gets beside himself, so we are still rocking and cuddling to sleep too.

I quite like it! But would be beside myself with excitement if one day he just closed his eyes and went to sleep! xxxx