Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Left or right handed baby?

Hi ladies and gorgeous babies! image

I was just wondering if your little ones have started to show a preference for one hand over the other...eg with holding toys/spoons etc?

I watch Issy and she seems to show a preference for her left hand...I was just wondering if it's a coincidence or does this mean she will be left handed?

What age does the lefty/righty thing happen?

Hope you're all well.
Sapphire & Issy
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Sapphire,

I think Grace shows a preference for her right hand, but my hubby thinks she prefers her left.

I think that it may well mean that Issy could be left handed, but may be wrong!

My mum tells me that I did everything left handed until I was nearly one; mum was ill so Gran looked after me at our house for a while and encouraged me to use my right hand for everything!

Em xx
  • Options
    My LO seems to play with toys more with her right hand, but mainly sucks the thumb of her left hand (until I point this out to people, then to prove me wrong she goes for her thumb on the right hand!) I was also wondering if this means she will be right or left handed, or maybe ambidextrous!
  • Options
    I read the other day that children can change preference until early childhood (around the age of 6 apparently...) so nothing is set in stone yet. Roisin still uses both alot and is obsessed with passing things from hand to hand, turning them over and examining them ... so cute to watch! Xx
  • Options
    My LO also seems to prefer her left hand.... if i hand her something she takes it in her left unless she already has that hand busy! Also like Roisin she likes to pass things back and forth, turning them around and examining, putting them in her mouth! She also tends to suck her right thumb sometimes.

Its amazing the stuff we're learning about them!
    Thats interesting to know littlerose. My MIL has told me to take things out LO's left hand and encourage the right! Indeed I will not, its her choice! She can be a pain in the a** sometimes hehe

xxxx
  • Options
    Ooh, that is interesting!
    Issy also passes things from hand to hand and examines things! I love watching her do it. It's lovely to watch them growing and developing into proper little people isn't it?! Issy seems to be doing something new every day. I love the stage she's at now!
    I want to press pause!!!!
    xxxx
  • Options
    Lily passes things from hand to hand all the time and examines everything! lol She tends to reach out for things first of all with her left hand, finger food, toys, everything so im not too sure.

Just yesterday she started clapping her hands when i did and when i sing " If your happy and you know it" she claps at the right bit, its so cute! xx
  • Options
    Ah bless Lily, Newlook, Fred loves me clapping and is just starting to get it a bit now, though he does it with his fists clenched! Silly boy! At the mo, Fred seems to prefer his feet to his hands! I'm sure he's got some chimp blood in him somewhere! x
  • Options
    Jack is a lefty but then Brad always was and is now a righty...He reaches with his left hand, even if I pass it near to his right, then passes it back and forth too. He often puts it out at arms length too which is really funny. Looks like he's inspecting an antique before an auction. ha ha x