Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

amazing

image i have just made my first breast milk donation!! and i am sooo proud of myself. thinking about all those lil prem and special care babies that will be given an extra chance of surviving down to my milk is amazing.

my lo was in SCBU when 1st born and he came out when he had my milk, if the nurses would've let me feed him from the start then he would've been out alot sooner. as some of u know he had fetal growth retardation which was undetected until 39 weeks, he was lucky to be born alive. at 5lb5oz he was small and had low blood sugar, my milk made him better and he is now a chubby happy lil boy!! he's amazing and has no detrimental affects of being starved in the womb image

if any other breast feeding mums would like to make a difference to a special care baby then please ask for details, i'm more than happy to help

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Oh hun, that sounds very interesting, how does it work. i would love more info, though not sure I will have enough milk. x
  • Options
    your body will soon make the extra feed up. anyway any amount you can give will be helping, most of the babies that will have the milk can only stomach about 1oz per feed anyway cuz they're so little, so your milk will go a long way.

http://www.ukamb.org/yourmilkbank.html

this web site has all the info, just contact your local milk bank as shown on here. they do need a blood sample to make sure you dont have any diseases.
    my local one is chester and they have given me loads of steralised bottles which connect onto my breast pump (medela) i then lable it with my name and the date it was expressed and then freeze it. every so often (either every month, couple of weeks or when you have a few bottles) i ring them up and they come and collect the milk.
    the babies who will recieve your milk are ones who's mothers intend to breast feed when their milk comes in, it will not be wasted on babies who's mothers do not want to breast feed. all the babies will be special care babies usually who have been born prematurely and the mothers milk is not ready as they have been born so young, or just while the mothers milk is "coming in".
    its totally hassle free as i express milk in the morn after riley has had his feed and he is busy playing. please do concider making a donation it makes a huge diference to babies lives.
    hope this helps
    xxxxxxx