Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

weaning advice

Bebe is 5 1/2 mths - i started weaning on 31st jan...so just over 2 weeks ago. She has taken to food really well, likes all flavours. As you know she is exclusively bf and she also has about 2oz of water a day.

I started with one meal a day - baby porridge (3 days), then pureed Butternut sq (3 days), then pureed carrot (3 days), then either one of the above veg (for further 5 days). Then pureed pear.....then pureed apple...then the fruit mixed with the veg...etc

Usually Bebe has a bowel movement every other day. But when we started solids she didnt pass one for 4 days, then 4 days and now 7 days.....I am not happy with this. Her poo is soft so i know she isnt constipated but she gets very uncomfortable and cries before passig wind, for 2/3 days before passing a bowel. The HV told me to lay off the Veg and stick to fruit but this hasnt really helped. She also told me to add orange juice to her water - but again didnt really make any difference...

Bebe still breast feeds every 2 hours, so I know she is getting plenty of fluid.

Any suggestions?

xxx

Replies

• hey MKB!
    I have no suggestions but just wanted to say we started to wean on 14th Jan, and stuck to the3/ 4 day rule! after 5 days Cailey had awful diahorrea for which lasted 3 weeks so we stopped the food for a week, it was at the stage we were going thru 4 nappies an hour and she was screaming in pain and her bum was so raw it was bleeding!
    Ok sorry Ive gone way off the point, but I think they all deal with food in different ways hun and maybe it takes their little tummys sometime to get used to it.
    hope it gets better for Bebe.

xxxx
  • Hi, I have no suggestions but I think the change in bowel movement is very common when weaning your baby and even a slight change in types of food ulters them too.
    I had the same trouble with Ella when she was 4 months, poor thing was constipated for days and rather uncomfortable.
    Once her system got used to the thicker consistency of her food they eased up.

Even now I have begun to give Ella finger foods and homemade meals rather than the jars her bowels are harder again.
    Hope Ive helped or at least given you some reassured that this should pass?

Fiona and Ella 28 weeks x
  • If her diet has changed then you can naturally expect a change in her bowel movements but I don't blame you for being concerned when she doesn't go for 7 days, I'd be the same.

When you've said fruit, is it just apple & pear you've used? It's just if you've given banana then that can have a constipating effect. Alfie gets what we have termed 'banana bung'.

Is it only butternut squash & carrot that you've tried? She might be better with different veg. We've always given Alfie a couple of veg mixed with potato (either normal white or sweet) being one of them and he poo's 3 or 4 times a day.
    Tomato (peeled, de-seeded, pan fried with spot of olive oil) blended with courgette (steamed) makes a quite fluid, tasty combination. As courgette contains a fair amount of water it might help her bowel movements? Just grasping at straws but worth a try?

Are there any baby yoghurts that contain pre-biotics & pro-biotics or is it just adult ones? I just thought that as PP's help digestion it might help Bebe?

Shell xx

[Modified by: floss78 on February 19, 2010 11:33 PM]

• Hi MKB,

Grace's bowel movements have been fewer since she was on 2-3 meals a day.

One thing that never fails is spinach - I use the chopped frozen variety, steamed then blended (goes well with parsnip too).

I also find apple juice mixed with water helps - not sure why the juice rather than the pureed fruit.

Em xx
  • Is she allowed water downed Prune Juice? Waiting for HV to call me!!! xxx
  • i have given cailey water and prune juice.
    how did u get on with HV?
    xx
  • oh brill - how many parts water to prune?

HV still hasnt called me!! i have chased them aswell xxx
  • gosh thats shockin they aint called!!
    i gave her one onze of prune and 2 onzes of water.
    xxx