Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Nursery advice

Hi ladies

I was just wondering if you could give me any advice about the first few days/weeks at nursery.

Joe will be starting for two days per week at the begining of September, I'm really aprehensive but I need to go back to work image

Any advice welcome x x

Replies

• Hi

Lily is also in nursery 2 days a week and has been a bit of a tough ride trying to get her to settle. She started in April for a couple hours a week befroe me going back in June. Last week was her first 'ok' week without crying lots but she is lowly getting there.
    Im sure Joe will love it but it may take a while for him to trust the people there and enjoy it xxx
  • Hey hun, hope you're ok. Fred has been at nursery now since the beginning of June, he just goes 1 day a week. They do a 3 session settling in programme, firstly with me being there with him for 2 hours, then the next time me leaving for 2 hours and then a half day with me not there. Fred was so unhappy after the 2 hours without me that nursery suggested he do a couple of hours everyday for a week before he did his full day. I was very impressed that they didn't just leave it to chance that he would be ok. He cried on and off they said the first couple of full days, and now he cries when I leave (which always makes me cry! I have to scuttle out of there avoiding speaking to anyone and then have a "moment" in the car). They are really honest about how he is and they say he is pretty much fine the whole time but they encourage you to ring in if you're concerned and they send emails from him to me with pics to show what he's up to!

I'm pleased so far with the care he's had. he never eats and sleeps as much as he does at home but I guess he's doing well considring he's away from everything familiar.

I'm sure Joe will be fine, but it takes time and be prepared for you being more upset than him!

xx
  • ahhh Slippers, Fred sounds just like Lily. She too cries when i leave, its so sad isnt it? i power walk to my car and blink away my tears on route to work. Some days they say she cries on and off all day which breaks my heart but just last week said she had 2 good days playing and ate her lunch - she doesnt normally eat alot at nursery.

Im sure its a time thing and should get better! image x
  • It's horrible! I still feel sad every Thursday night and Friday morning. I feel mean dropping him off, I know he's ok really, but god it breaks my heart to leave him withsomeone else when he's crying!

I'm such a wuss!

I agree it must be a time thing too, my friend's litle boy has been going just short of a year and he loves it now, so fingers crossed Fred and Lily will too.

xx
  • Isabelle, as ever the socialite! took to her nursery like a duck to water when we went to look round prospectively, but only at that one out of the 5 we looked at. She wanted to play and join in straight away, so they took her for singing whilst we looked downstairs at the big kid rooms!

She has an induction of whatever we want, first session is Monday with me at 10, then hubby is doing an hour weds, but from the drop off time til breakfast which is essential as it is going to be his job to drop now he is working closer to home ( at our old school where we both went!)

Then she is going for 2 hours friday without us in the room, but on the premises filling in her First Book.

The week after is up to us, so I will probably take her the weds and leave her for an hour or so, and hubby will take her the Friday as I am back in work then :\?

Then we hit the reality of it all the following tuesday! Fingers crossed, I will keep you posted!

Bets XxX
  • Well,
    we are now 2 induction sessions in and Isabelle has caught a cold, refused to eat, stolen another childs bottle and needed 3 staff to help change her as she kicked off so badly!

To be fair, it's no different than she is at home, we did warn them that she hates having her nappy done, but at least she slept their today!

She happily goes to her key staff, who seem lovely, and not really young which is good. Now the real test will be see to how she reacts when Daddy leaves her on Weds, she will be having breakfast, lunch and a nap, Mummy will be having a soak in the bath and read prior to work!

How has Joe gone on?

XxX