Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When your baby cries ...

Hello there, hope everyone is good and enjoying bonding with their babas. It was our wedding anniversary the other day and we went out for the evening (for the first time!) leaving our daughter with my mum, who put her to bed for us. She was goos for her, though had a screaming fit when being changed into her sleepsuit and stopped instantly afterwards. My Mum commented 'She's obviously a baby who is never left to cry' ... which is true! If she is upset, I always comfort her and never leave her to cry it out. Am I spoiling her? Really doubting myself now ... how do you deal with your little ones when they cry?

Helen

Replies

• James is 11 weeks and we never really leave him to cry, sometimes he just needs a cuddle so Id feel bad depriving him of that. I think its fine to pick them up lots when they are so small, I like to make the most of this stage as they grow up so fast! x
  • I am currently reading a book called "what every parent should know" and it says you should never leave a baby to cry as it is damaging to their development and at this stage they are crying for real reasons and not because they are spoiled. Our precious little beings don't know what spoiled is, they just want to feel safe, warm, fed and content. Its a really good book. x x
  • I never leave Holly to cry, she only cries when she is hungry or if she has wind. We were at the in laws house earlier and mil was holding Holly and she started to cry, she said it was ok for her to cry so i took her straight away and she did a massive burp for me so she obviously had a tummy ache. No one knows your baby better so do what you feel is best and you cant go far wrong image
  • i agree you shld never leave a baby to cry it out. Bebe always is trying to tell me something. Usually she wants to burp if she is laying down, i never leave her to wriggle it out - i wld feel mean.

Later on they can 'control'the situ with cries but not now xxx
  • In a morning after we have got up and she has had her bum done I put her under her playgym and she talks to herself in the mirror and often makes crying noises yet I leave her to it as she is just playing, but any other time we pick her up straight away as like everyone says there is always a reason!

Normally it is boredom to be fair, as she wakes up in her pram and doesn't make a sound, just happily kicks but then she wants attention and shouts!

Bets XxX
  • I dont like to let Jack cry but I am a little more confident with Jack's crying than I was with my first. With Brad, crying used to really stress me out as I thought I was doing something wrong and was sometimes embarassed that the neighbours would hear him crying and think I was doing a bad job. (crazy I know)

The only time I would ever let Jack cry is when I know he's okay and I can see him. If I'm getting him ready after his bath for example, he cries as he knows it's bottle time straight after and is tired. With Brad, I used to stop getting him ready and give him a cuddle as it broke my heart to hear him cry. Getting him out of the bath and ready could seriously take me about an hour! I continue getting Jack ready through the crying or nappy changing and he's done in a matter of minutes, then happy again. So much easier and less stressful.

Jack really only cries if he's hungry or as others have said, has wind. I will only leave him to cry when I believe he's old enough to know why I'm letting him cry and as long as I know there's nothing wrong - if that makes sense???

At this small age, they cry to communicate, and not just being spoilt. I dont believe you can spoil a baby with cuddles but you do need to be firmer when they hit the terrible twos or you make a rod for your own back. trust me I've been there! ha ha

K x