Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Survived my first day back at work...

God it was hard leaving Jack but I managed. Had a lump in my throat on the way out of the door but composed myself and had a little sing to the radio on the way as I used to do every day. In a strange way, I enjoyed it. Rather than be thrown straight into my old timetable, I was given 3 students who needed support. I'd heard that they were a nightmare but they were great and we got loads done. I'm still doing KIT days and doing one day per week so quite looking forward to next thurs.

I actually felt like me; all be it a bigger version, but still me again! Had a MAJOR blonde moment though but eased the tension as I laughed for about 20 mins! I asked the students what time their break was when on timetable and they said 11 o'clock. Glancing at my watch, I let them go at 10:40am rather than start something new. They looked shocked but didnt complain and asked what time they had to be back in class. I said 11 was fine and they skipped off down the corridor.
"What a lovely bunch" I thought to myself wondering what all the fuss was. As I entered the staffroom, my boss looked up and asked if everything was ok and I told her everything was great and about them skipping off down the corridor. She asked why I had given them such an early break and explained that for 20 mins it wasn't worth starting a new topic. To my horror, she said "an hour and 20 mins!" ..............
I hadn't changed my watch since the clocks went back in Oct so it was actually 9:40am! !!! I've never worn it since having Jack because it's a chunky one with diamantes on so I worry about it scratching Jack's head - and no need for bling when I'm slumming it in the house...image

I was soooooooooooo embarassed but thought it was hilarious too. Broke the ice as the girls saw the funny side when I went back at 11.

Hubby had been fine with Jack and was so pleased to see my boys when I got in. Hubby was asleep on the couch at 5:35pm for an hour...he updated his facebook saying that us women need a medal for looking after babies all day. Successful mission I would say! lol

I'm still as dizzy as ever so cant blame that on baby brain. Feel a lot more like myself and had a little spring in my step!

K xxx

Replies

• Im so pleased you enjoyed being back at work, im terrified and I dont think im going to go back in June for a couple of reasons, the main one being childcare, unfortunately my hubby cant stay at home and for me to work full time would cost too much money in childcare, it wouldnt be worth me working.
    People keep saying I should get back into it for my own sanity but I dont know if thats the case am im loving being a full time mum and looking after Bertie and spending time with him that I couldnt do with my eldest who is now 13, its nice have a child the second time around and be a bit more chilled out.

Actually being in the office again terrifies me as I feel a bit softer, my job is very stressful as im a Property Lawyer and in the office its very busy and people shout at each other and every other phone call is someone having a go. I know I will be there and wish I was at home with my little one and think its just not worth it but also im worried ill just burst into tears at the drop of a hat as the barrier id built up has gone.

Sounds like youve got a great job and its brilliant that your loving being back. It gets easier leaving the little ones and its great your getting a bit of your old life back.

Gxx
  • I'm glad you enjoyed it kirsty. Was it like riding a bike?

X x
  • So glad your first day went well, apart from the watch error that did make me laugh!

Cat xxx
  • That made me laugh xxxxxxxx

Well done on surving the day I don't have a very family friendly job i work long hours I have just written to them asking to drop to 4 days waiting for a meeting with them i'm dreading it. I might be doing some kit days soon to do some training xx
  • I'm so glad you enjoyed it & that it went well. I chuckled at the watch incident though, he he.

I'm not going back until 24th May but I will be going back full time. I'm glad I worked so late into my pregnancy as I've now got more time to spend with Alfie.
    I've used most of my KIT days already and I keep in touch with both my boss and my work colleagues. It's only a small, family run business so it's a nice place to work.
    I think it does the blokes good to have the baby for the day, it's makes them realise how hard it can be!

Shell xx
  • Ah bless you, you sound much happier hun! xxx
  • Yes it's like riding a bike Kirsten - you really dont forget! Hopefully next week will be just as good but think it's a lot easier doing one day! Once I'm onto 3 1/2 in April I may change my mind! lol

K x