Forum homeā€ŗ Archived Birth Clubsā€ŗ My baby was born in Aug 09
šŸšØ Advance warning šŸšØ This forum will be closing on 1st May ā€“ please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Ella has only gained 1lb in 10weeks!!

Hi girls and babies! How are you all doing?
I havent been to the clinic to get Ella weighed for 10weeks now because she's my 2nd I feel like the health visitors think Im wasting there time which could be for 1st time mums. Not only that but I was told theres no need to come back until Ella's 8months old.
Anyway thought I would weigh her myself tonight, as she can sit up unsupported now I put her on the scales. Found out she has only gained about a 1lb maybe less since her last visit to the clinic!!
This is Ellas routine:
1st feed - 7oz milk
2nd feed - 5oz milk and cereal or yoghurt
3rd feed - homemade mashed potato cheese and brocolli or a jar if i dont have time
4th feed - 5oz milk and brocollli cauliflour cheese or yoghurt (sometimes jar)
5th feed - 7oz milk
Once a day I try her on finger food such as banana, toast or rusk but she usually plays with these.

What are your routines like? Should I be giving her more at 6 1/2 months?
This is a big difference between my girls, Ella weighs 17lbs whereas Felicity weighed 21lbs at same age!!! She was a big baby but weighed less at birth surprisingly!!

Fiona an Ella 28weeks xx

Replies

• Options
    Fiona I wouldn't worry too much as she'll be a lot more active now. I weighed Jack at home just before the xmas time and he was 21lb. When I went mid January after all the snow, he was 19lb 2oz. Different scales weigh different too so could be worth trying her on your scales again. I can tell Jack is a lot slimmer than he was before xmas but he's a lot more active and cutting down on his milk which is laiden with calories.

I think your routine sounds fine and similar to Jack's.

7/8am - 1st bottle (8oz)

12pm - porridge/ 4-5oz bottle

mid afternoon finger food and a drink of water

4pm - fruit puree and 3rd bottle ( 4-5oz) plays with brocoli, carrot or whatever we're having!

7pm - 4th bottle (7-8oz) depending on how tired he is after his bath.

I'll be moving his porridge to the first bottle shortly and giving him a veg course on his 3rd bottle and fruit on his lunch time bottle once he officially hits 6 months.

I'm sure she'll be fine and maybe just losing a couple of rolls like Jack has but ask your HV if you're worried. She may just going to be more dainty than Felicity? Jack is twice the size Brad was at 6 months. Brad was only about 14lb!

K x

• Options
    Hiya Fiona,

I wouldn't worry too much about Ella's weight so long as she's still gaining, even if it is a slow rate. She's more active now isn't she so maybe she's burning it off quicker?

Alfie's feeding routine is virtually the same as Ella's only he doesn't drink quite as much milk (he has 1oz less each milk feed than Ella) so he has more solids on his 3rd & 4th feed than Ella. He's never been a huge milk drinker but has enough for his recommended daily allowance.

Alfie was weighed last wk; 19lb 10oz. He can't yet sit up unaided but I imagine his weight gain will slow once he's more active. He just does a lot of body popping when lay down and pelvic thrusts. It's so funny. He's started scratching the top of his head & feeling his hair like Stan Laurel (Laurel & Hardy) and it makes me laugh every time.

Shell xx

[Modified by: floss78 on February 17, 2010 09:59 PM]

• Options
    my second daughter only put on 12oz between 4 and 8 months and everyone was really worried but she ate well and started putting weight on eventually. shes 5 now and quite stocky (sp?)
  • Options
    Her drinking and feeding routine sound really good to me. Orla is also really slow to gain weight. It's taken her over 11 weeks just to gain a pound. And on her last two visits she didn't gain at all. She was 12lb 3oz so the hv told me to get her on to solids straightaway, can't bloody win! My older child was a little heifer at her age and really chubby but now at 4 years old he is a quite skinny so they all grow at different rates and all even out in their own time.

Cat xxx
  • Options
    Her routine sounds fine and she is eating well so i wouldnt worry to much about it. Maybe take her to get weighed properly and mention it then. Surely weighing isnt only for first time mums? Why would you second baby be any different? I would go along hun and then you can ask what she think too image
    xxxx

Shell - Lily aslo scratches her head and feels her hair haha - but she scratches alot and makes it bleed!
  • Options
    Morning, thanks for your replies!
    I took Ella to the clinic yesterday, she weighs 18lb 2oz so she has actually gained 2lb which makes me feel better.
    Felicity was a big baby too but now shes 4 shes very tall and slim.
    I asked the health visitor how much formula should she be having now and surprisingly she only needs 8oz before bed and she should be eating when we eat to make it easier for me!

Shell - I give Ella those bottles but thinking about it she does usually leave about 2oz!
    I have noticed that she isnt as interested in her milk lately so I suppose it all makes sense.

I gave her weetabix mixed with formula this morning, she ate the weetabix then didnt want the bottle! I plan to give her lunch at 12 with us. This change of routine is so exciting!

Have any of you stopped sterilizing??
    I read you can stop at 6 months so I have at 6 1/2 months! Much easier!

xxxxx
  • Options
    I think all babies are soo different and you cant copy someone elses eating routine. My sisters 1st baby was on 3 meals a day (two of these were two courses) and 2 breast feeds by 6 months old!

Bebe is still only on tasters and she is 5 1/2 months so no where near what her cousin wasc eating.

Is Ella still on her line - i wld just look at that - if she has dipped then spk to HV...or try to introduce more food??? xxxxx
  • Options
    Good news bout Ella's weight but bad news bout your scales as that may now mean you yourself weigh more than you think! eek! ha ha

When the HV said 8oz milk - was that for the whole day??? I've read that babies upto 1yr old should have 500-600ml formula daily which is equivalent to approx 20oz so I've always made sure Alfie has at least this much.

I haven't stopped sterilising but only because it's habit for me. I've read you can stop sterilising bowls, spoons etc at 6months but you should continue to sterilise bottles.

I gave Alfie weetabix (he only magaes half of one) this morning but I give after a formula feed and mix it with cows milk. He sneezed it all over me!

Shell xx
  • Options
    Lucy has only gained about in 3 months too, but she did go off her milk and for about a month it was really hard to get her to eat.

Her day goes like this

7am - 5-6oz bottle

8am - Breakfast with some water

11am - 5-6oz bottle

12pm - Lunch (normally veg) sometimes followed by a yogurt, with some water

3pm - 4-5 oz bottle

4pm - Dinner (more veg then a dessert) with water

7pm - 6-7oz bottle

She doesnt really eat a lot of her food maybe about 10-15 spoons of her dinner.

xx