Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

experience with Usbourne books/Ways to boost income

Hi All

I am returning to work on less days than I originally wanted and I am going to need to boost my income, I have been looking at Usbourne books does anyone have any experience with them, how easy is to sell the books and make money. Alternatively does anyone do anything like AVON or any other ideas, unfortunately I am not arty so cant make and sell things.

Any ideas would be great thanks

Replies

• Options
    I'm afraid I have no experience of Usbourne Books, but I'm looking for ideas too to boost my income. I like the idea of the Bounty distrubtors (the ladies on the post labour wards who deliver the bounty packs to new mums) there are some eves and weekends jobs advertised for them on jobrapido and I think there was one in Sheffield and one in Doncaster when I looked yest (I think that's quite close to you?) They tend to be only for a few hours at a time. If I come across anything else I will let you know. I've signed up for mystery shopping but it's very hit and miss. I would like to do something thats typing or envelope stuffing at home but can only find ones that require you to pay a fee and I remember something on GMTV or somewhere that said youshould never have to pay a fee to work from home.

I will keep looking! There was a job for a Lollipop lady at the school down our road for 5 hours a week and I seriously considered it but couldn't get used to myself in yellow! x
  • Options
    Haven't got any experience of any of the other suggestions but when I need to make some extra pennies I go to car boots very early on the weekends and pick up things (baby clothes, other clothes, kitchen electricals) and then resell them on eBay. You would be really suprised how much you can make. I once picked up a set of le crussaut pans for ??15 and sold them for ??60!
  • Options
    Hiya,
    I am an Usborne books rep, and to be honest it was quite easy to reach my initial target, and I really enjoy doing it. You can earn well from it but you do need to have access to lots of people, ie; going to baby groups, other kids at school etc.
    The starter kit costs ??38 and you get over ??100 worth of books in it, the only "catch" is that you have to sell ??100 worth of books in 12 weeks or they invoice you for the full amount of the books in the starter pack. I was REALLY worried about reaching my target but arranged a book party, invited 10 people and only 5 came, but I sold ??76 worth of books, and I literally put the books on a table and went to start talking and people just started going through the books and the catalouge, they really do sell them selves. When I put my order in I decided to top up the order to make the ??100, therefore having no more obligation, so now all the books are mine and if I dont sell another one it wont matter. If you want more info just email me, or if you decide to join them as I can get a little bit back if I sign you up (this is not a hard sell, its up to you!)
    The other thing I do for money is I deliver charity bags - yes I know they are the bane of most peoples lives, but the money is not bad I get ??80 to deliver 1000 per week. I can take Lily with me and I am getting fitter doing it - I lost 2% of my BMI last week so cant be bad!!! It is hard work and I do ache after, but hopefully that will get better!
    Hope this might have helped you a bit :\)

Lisa & Lily xx

P.S - Also wanted to say, I looked into Avon too and the trouble with them is you have a minimum order of ??78 every time you place an order, so you need to be able to get lots of orders every 3 weeks to be able to order out of each magazine, HTH x

[Modified by: lisalilypops on May 25, 2010 11:16 PM]

• Options
    Take a look at this website, I find it fab! It's the bloke off GMTV. There's loads of ideas about boosting your income including mystery shopping!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/

Shell xx
  • Options
    partylite candles... i've got several friends who do this and they enjoy it. you don;t even have to host candle parties.

another tip. type working from home in your google search icon and it brings up a website (mums something or other) tere are tonnes of adverts on that site for home working opportunities.

Good luck
    Diana
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Well I have looked at lots of ways to make money since i originally posted this thread i've been very busy.

I tried AVON and it didn't work for me, so I have chosen to do Usboorne Books and its FAB dead easy, I had a book party at my house to get me started and got an order for ??200 so I get my commission and loads of free books. I have a few more people interested in a party, when I say party i didnt really do anything I just displayed the books and let people look at the catolouge.

So if anyone would like any information on Usborne books please give me a shout xxxx

Annette