Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Eating?

Hi all

Just wondering what your little ones eat? I started off really good making purees and home made food and freezing them, then for some silly reason i tried Lily on jars and now shes realy fussy. Everything i give her unless its pure mush she wont eat, ocassionally the odd bit of toast and bread sticks but most savory food she throws on floor or wont touch.

Its starting to annoy me as i know its not texture as she will happily eat a full banana or a biscuit, so in other words things she has to chew?

Any advice?? image

Newlook & Lily 11 months xx

Replies

• Hiya Newlook,

I'm in the same boat! I'm having a nightmare with Alfie. I can't get him to eat lumps or finger foods. This has been going on for months. I do keep trying and persevering but to no avail! He either spits it out or tries to swallow finger food whole and ends up gagging so much he vomits everything he has eaten. He will eat baby pasta and rice though even though that's lumpy?? He'll also eat fruit (strawberries, kiwi, satsumas etc), biscuits and Organix crisps but getting him fully onto finger food is proving difficult! I thought it was just me and that I've being doing something wrong. I can't understand why he'll bite and chew some things but not others??

Unfortunately I don't have advice but maybe knowing each of us is experiencing this, helps? I've not seen my HV since Alfie was a few wk old and at the last baby weigh-in clinic I requested a home visit so they're sending a nursery nurse round next week?? I'll see if she has any words of wisdom and report back!

A very fed up Shell & stroppy Alfie xx
  • Have you tried spoon feeding her lumpy stuff? Just thinking if Lily is used to jars the maybe the next step could be those toddler meals that you can buy? I went down the puree and fingerfood route and still usually give her 'proper' food (if you know what I mean!) but have always used Ella's kitchen aswell. When she got to about 9 months I would sometimes use a toddler meal - usually the heinz home made. They have lumps of stuff but are very sloppy and unchallenging, might she go for something like that?

Baby pasta is also a good one, that was one of the first 'lumpy' things R would eat. Finger food-wise, what you could try some little things like sweetcorn from a tin, something that doesn't require Lily to bite off chunks and chew for ages, plus it keeps them occupied for ages picking up all the tiny bits! It's good she'll have biscuits and bananas, what about any other soft fruits? Roisin loves cherries, plums, pears, nectarines, blackberries, grapes. Oh but she does love throwing everything on the floor too! x

[Modified by: littlerose on August 11, 2010 09:29 PM]

• At the moment I'm calling Fraser a 'fruit-a-tarian' as that's pretty much all he wants to eat, that, yogurt and porridge. I just keep offering him different things and hoping that one day he'll decide to broaden his tastes! x
  • I think i'm just one of the lucky ones and been blessed with good eaters. I've baby led weaned all my little ones and not introduced food before 26 weeks with any of them. I also make sure that we all eat together at least once a day, babies are like sponges and love to copy and that is why they eat better in company than alone, the other benefit of baby led weaning is that they are learning to actually eat as in chew and swallow mass rather than just have their tummies filled which is what purees do.
    On a typical day Iris will have:

Breakfast + milk: (7.15-30am)
    *Porridge with raisins or chopped dried apricots (we do it with two spoons one which i load up for her the other she tries for herself.
    or
    *Scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast, followed by a yoghurt and fruit
    or
    *Wheatabix with cows milk and fresh fruit again with two spoons

Snack: (a combination of the following)(10am ish)

fruit
    rice cakes
    breadsticks with dips
    Lightly toasted pitta bread cut into stips to dip
    chopped veg like carrot, peppers, cucumber etc
    dried fruit
    mini bagals with cream cheese
    diced varieties of cheese
    homemade mini apple muffins
    natural yoghurt with fruit
    toasted teacake

Lunch: (12.30 ish)

Jacket potato with various fillings
    -tuna mayo
    -broccoli and cheese
    -baked beans
    -homemade chilli
    -bolognaise

or
    pasta with salmon/ chicken
    lots of veg
    sweet potato cut into chips and baked is a favourite and same with pumpkin and squash

or
    sandwiches and homemade soups again two spoons lol

she then sleeps from 1pm to 2.30

Light snack and Follow on Milk after afternoon nap (3pm ish)

Dinner - smaller portion of whatever we are eating (5.30 -6 ish)

Then breastfeed and bed (around 7.30)

This is only typical of a day when we stay in and timed usually to fit round school /nursery runs and various activities we go to but they do like to eat lol
    Jo xx

[Modified by: Jojomummy on August 13, 2010 09:22 PM]

• i too have been lucky with my LO's eating! I have also done baby led weaning from just before she was 6 months old and now i think the only thing she wont eat is jelly!
    cailey will eat jars of food.... well mostly the toddlers meals if we are out and about, but loves to sit in her high chair and eat with us. she is very good at letting me feed her when it comes to porridge or yoghurts.
    i think if i let her she would also be a fruit-a-tarian hellym!

i have no advice apart from keep trying with different things..... i think the sweetcorn is a good idea.... also raisins are good!

xxxx
    hope