Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

can you explain the weight gain chart?

Born - 7Ib 9.5 oz
10 day check - 7Ib 11oz
3 weeks +2days old - 8Ib 15oz
6 weeks +2days old - 11Ib 5oz

My baby has jumped from the 50th line to 90th line - what do the 'th' mean??

Replies

• I'm not 100% to be honest! But the way a ladyhere explained it to me is that the 50th centile is average,so 50% of babies will be around this line (on the nhs "normal" weight guidelines) so if you're on the 75th centile,75% will be less than this and if you're on the 5th centile, 95% of babies will be above this weight. It's confusing so I hope that makes sense to you! x
  • Also worth pointing out that so long as length and weight are on similar centiles (i.e within 10% either way) then everything is good and proportional. I mean blimey if your little one was on the 95th centile for weight and only the 5th for length i would think things had gone rather awry
    Jo xx
  • Have you asked for the breastfeeding weight gain chart? My health visitor changed mine as formula & breast are diffrent x x
  • They dont ever measure her!! And no one has mentioned the bfing chart!! I wasnt that impressed before with my HV - now I realsie why!!

xx
  • The charts are breastfeeding ones, they changed them earlier this year, as that is what is encouraged and babies appear to be underweight compared to bottle fed babies so the breast feeding is used as the basis for the centiles now.

Isabelle has just had her 8 week check, and was traking between 75th and 90th centiles, however has dropped to just below the 75th and her head circumference is on the 50th, yet the doctor said this was nothing to worry about.

MKB I have only seen my HV once when she came to our house, she was nice enough but I am not sure that I will need to pop in and ask her anything as Isabelle seems quite happy and contented, I have her weighed every 4 weeks at baby Yoga, sometimes by a HV, sometimes by a midwife just depends who is running the clinic, but we have only been once so far!

p.s. Isabelle has never been measured either!

Bets XxX

[Modified by: betsyboo on October 26, 2009 04:07 PM]