Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

C-sectioners.....

how has your recovery been?

Just wondering how everyone else who had to have a section is doing? I had my section on 21st Aug, a week and a half ago and I was in absolute agony for the first week. I've felt tons better these last couple of days and even ventured out of the house today on our first family outing with hubby & baby Alfie. I didn't do anything strenuous and wasn't in any pain but on my return home found I'd been bleeding quite heavily. It was fresh blood, not like lochia. It has eased now. Has anyone else had this?

My wound is healing nicely although I was surprised that you aren't stitched up externally. I've got dissolvable sutures internally but otherwise the wound was left open. I found laughing & coughing extremely painful and was scared my wound would open up but it didn't.

I've found the trapped wind quite painful too but I had been told about this previous. It's only now that it's eased completely.

I just thought it would be interesting to 'compare notes'.

Shell & Alfie xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Floss!!

i had my op/gave birth (!) on 7th Aug - so 3 weeks and 4 days ago.

I also found it very painful in the first week. I managed to stand up and get into a wheel chair the night of the op to see my bubba (he was in intensive care) and I think it was only around day 4 that I managed to walk to the nicu unit without a wheelchair!

My wound too has healed nicely, looks like someone has taken a biro pen and drawn a line on my belly.

Today I carried in my pram carry cot with a load of shopping and blankets it - it was really heavy. i initially felt a slight pulling on my belly, but it has eased now!

Considering it is such major surgery, I am very surprised how well I have recovered so far!

I'm using aloe vera gel to help fade the scar and I'm occasionally still taking arnica tablets!

I hope your recovery continues to go well! image

Rach xxx
  • Options
    I had Lucy on the 20th July, 6 weeks ago now.

Its strange as I never felt pain at all, not even in the hospital. My wound has healed really good and like you say it just looks like someone has drawn in on me.

I was driving after 3 weeks as I felt ready, my doctor said I was fine to drive too.

I have my 6 week check up tonight so we'll see what she says.

I hope you ladies recover as good as i have

xx
  • Options
    hiya

i had a planned section on 24th and am recovering much better than when i had the emergency.

they gave me an intramuscular injection after the op- it was quite a new procedure and i have ha nearly no pain!

i am tired though so have rested as much as poss!

• Options
    MrsBlue and Annem1982... I can't believe you've had hardly any pain, you're both so lucky!

With regards to the bleeding that I had yesterday it has continued today but is actually really heavy. I'm changing pads (maternity ones) every hour or so! It is still fresh blood (sorry TMI) but am in no pain from it. If it carries on I'll phone my community midwives although I don't like mithering. I think had I been in pain with it I'd have phoned already.
    How soon do you start periods again? It's not quite been 2wk since I had my section, surely that's too soon for this bleeding to be a heavy period???

Glad to hear everyone is recovering well though!

Shell xx
  • Options
    Hey flower, i am 16 days on and feeling quite comfortable most of the time now, it just hurts if i usemy stomach muscles to sit up. I found the first couple of days sore, like bee stings in my wound, but other than overdoing it on day 6 and really hurting on day 7, i am amazed how quickly I have healed.

I'm like you and have disolvable stitches on the inside and it just looks like a line now.

I am still bleeding on and off, when it comes it's quite heavy but then i can go a day or so wit hnothing. It's bloody but also looks brown sometimes and slimey, like it's mixed with discharge (sorry gross I know!)

I would def check it out with your mw if it's heavy all the time sweetie just to put your mind at rest if nothing else. xxxx
  • Options
    Hey Floss,

I would definetly check with your mw about the loss, that does sound a lot - are you feeling ok with it?

They do say the more you move about, the more loss you get - I don't know what's 'normal' though!

I'd get it checked out.

Rach xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies.
    Apart from the sight of the blood I feel absolutely fine. Like I said I'm not in pain with it at all. I've had a snoop on the internet and it would appear it's normal. From what I've read you can bleed on & off for for a few wk and sometimes it can be heavy particularly if you have been 'active'.

Slippers - I've had the various colours & textures too including slime, he he.I got the bee sting feelings too,well more of a red hot poker!

My wound is starting to itch a little now which is a sign it's healing and I keep getting hubby to check it over. The MW checks it too when she visits. I haven't got much feeling in the surrounding area and it is still swollen. I find it a relief to point the shower head on my wound, although not get too close!

Rach- if I start to get pains I will get it checked out. Otherwise I'll hang on until Fri as i have the health visitor coming to check up on Alfie & I.

I feel better for chatting 'bout it tho so thanks ladies!

Shell xx
  • Options
    floss i showered 2/3 times a day as I wanted to keep the wound very clean and also to aviod infection. I point the shower head on my wound too. I never used soap or anything on it for the 1st 2 weeks as I was told by the MW not too.

My wound is also itchy at times, its weird though as when I itch my skin around it, its numb. I've heard people saying years after having a section that the skin round the wound is still numb so I'm going to keep checking it.

I cant remember is I said it the last post but I have hardly bleed, I dont know how much i bleed the day I had Lucy as the MW's where changing my pads. Its been very light and only lasted a few days. I asked before I left the hospital if this was right, the MW told me they may have taken a lot of the blood away before they stitched me up. I'm just waiting on my 1st period now, I thought I would have had it by now seeing as its 6+ weeks since I gave birth?

Glad everyone is doing well after such a major op.

xx
  • Options
    Rightio.... the bleeding stopped the next day, phew! I mentined it to my Health Visitor this morning and it's normal. She reiterated what others have said, major op and take it easy even if I feel capable, still take precautions.

Annem.... I never used soap either, advice from my MW so I just used clean water (the shower head). I haven't yet had a bath, just showers. I was worried 'bout my scab going soft & brushing off plus the fact sat in soapy water. If I were you I'd enjoy not having a period! he he

Shell xx

• Options
    Hiya all,

I was just wondering if anyone else was starting to feel pain again around their scar? My numbness is wearing off and feeling is returning so I'm now feeling sore again. Is this normal?

Shell xx
  • Options
    HI hun - I feel sore. I'm 20 days on. But I caught an infection so have been on anti-biotics for it too.
    It feels very numb, itchy at times and sore when I get out of bed etc. More pain down left side of wound too. MW said its all normal.
    I've been bleeding quite heavily since the op and still am - again have been told this is normal.
    Hope you're okay xxx

Lisa.
  • Options
    Hiya MrsN,

I'm sorry to hear you caught an infection, must've been uncomfortable.
    I went through the itchy stage, I think it's just a sign it's healing. I also bled heavily on & off (see posts above!) but now, 4wk on I've just about stopped.
    Generally I feel well but I get the odd twinge, like you when I get out of bed; anything that uses stomach muscles.
    I hope you continue to recover well and I hope Harrison's colic gets better.

Shell xx
  • Options
    hi i ad c section 6 weeks ago and had fresh blood too, ur just straining yourself too much. i had loads of pain after my c section and having to get up and travel down to scbu every day didn't help either. i couldn't even stand up straight for nearly 2 weeks couldn't hav stong painkillers either cuz i'm asthmatic. ok now tho but put loads of weight on during pregnancyand hav now got an over hang (lovely!!)on my stomach!!
    jo and riley
    xxxxxxxx
  • Options
    oh i have the overhang but it does go- took nearly 6 months last time but my stomach did go back to normal!

i'm aching this week as i've done far too much!

Anna x
  • Options
    I've got the overhang too, ha ha.

I don't know if this is related to having a c-sect but I've found that I can't tell when I need a wee until I'm desperate. I'm in no pain, it almost as if I've lost some sensation?? Anyone else like this?

Shell xx

[Modified by: floss78 on September 23, 2009 06:44 PM]

• Options
    I've got the overhang - oh well!!
    Not noticed anything about the wee thing - but I'm terrible anyway and always hold it in til the last minute (its from refusing to use the loo at school and has just stayed with me).

Lisa xx
  • Options
    Hey girls

I has an emergency section 7 weeks ago today and have really only just stopped bleeding.

I was very lucky and did not have any real pain after the op. I think having really bad SPD and not being able to walk helped as that went right after I had Rose and the pain from the section was no where near as painful for me from the SPD.

I would bleed really bad if I was very active or over did it and that still happens a bit now. I do get like a prickly pain every now and then in my scar as well.

I also have the overhang ;-0 oh the joys image

K xx