Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What is your baby's favourite recipe?

Jack loves his porridge and will eat any kind of fruit I put infront of him but we're struggling on the veg front. He has 2 meals per day but he's only having porridge/rusk mid morning and then a fruit puree in the afternoon (tea time) He just spits veg out and even carrotts that are sweet dont do it for him. image

His big bro was and still is the opposite as he would eat any vegetable (even sprouts - yuk!) but wouldn't suffer a piece of fruit. He'll now have a satsuma if you take all the pith off and about half a banana. Think I gave up too easily with Brad to be honest. I've got my cube pot thingys at the ready and am off to ASDA this afternoon so wondering if anyone has any successsful recipe ideas for purees?

K x

Replies

• Options
    So far, Fred seems to quite like most things; broccoli and baby corn are faves on the veg front, but he looooves toast and butter!

TBH I don't think he actually eats anything much just sucks things to death! But everything goes in his mouth and he only really pulled a face at banana but loves babana porridge, so am perservering with banana and so far so good!

• Options
    Jack only seems to like the jars of veg purees which i am not impressed with, he likes my homemade fruit purees , what i am doing now is giving him bits of veg off my plate to make it more interesting which he seems to like? x
  • Options
    lydia eats prettymuch anything, she loves bananas tho.
    i gave her some of my grans sunday dinner yesterday andshe loved it! shehad mash, brocolli and carrots mashed with the gravy and she ateevery bit. its a lot easier now she can handle little lumps thoughcoz i like givingher our food, shes going to jave spaghettibolognaise tonight soi'll let you know how it goes.

she loves baked beans as well x
  • Options
    Hi Kirsty,

Grace is similar as she too loves fruit but is not a big fan of veg. The only ones I have really been successful with are home made carrot, apple and parsnip puree/ mash, plain spinach(!) or small bits of broccoli. She will only eat potato if mashed with gravy (or butter, oops) and won't touch sweet potato apart from the Ella's kitchen pouch ones which are mixed with Squash. She has had that at my mom's and loved it!

I would give the carrot, apple and parsnip a shot as other babies I have known have also enjoyed.

Em xx
  • Options
    Jack likes toast too Slippers. He pinches a little piece of mine in the morning but shuddered with a tiny bit of jam that was left on. bless. He pulls the brocolli to pieces and will put it in his mouth but pulls a funny face.

Will try the carrot, apple and parsnip - sounds yum! Think I'll combine some fruit in with the veg and see if that helps. I remember Shell putting some pear in with something so floss if you're out there...lol

How do you give them spaghetti? Do you mash it up? x
  • Options
    i cook hers a bit longer so its soft and then just mash it with a fork abit. I'd give the baken beans a go too, a child can live off baked beans, i get the low salt ones tho.
    cous cous is good too, i put tomatos and carrots in that.
  • Options
    cailey seems to love everything i give to her! even baby rice..... which ive heard not many babies like.

she loves her toast in the morning and shouts at me when she drops it lol

i tried her with banana yesterday and she wasnt too keen, and shes not sure sure on the tomato flavour in some of the jars of food.
    she loves, carrots, butternut squash, sweet potato, parsnip, turnip, courgette, pear, apple.

i have given her sweet potato and pear mixed, and today she had apple, courgette and carrot which she really enjoyed.

im intrigued by the baked beans...... just a normal tin of low salt baked beans?
    and normal spaghetti that we'd have with bolognese?
    think i'll try her with brocolli soon image

xxx
  • Options
    my eldest hated tomato flavoured things until she was about 2 but now she loves it.
    alsodont get too excited angel ate everything when she was a baby but now its chicken nuggets, sausage, super noodles, pizza, spaghetti bolognaise and thats about it. she hates all veg but eats a few pieces if i make her and she loves peppers. the only fruit she'l eat is tinned peaches and grapes and strawberries but shes going off them now too!

baken beans are fab, full of goodness, yes normal sag bol, but i take out her sauce before i add the chillies! x
  • Options
    Kirsty: Re pears, all I do is peel & core a couple of ripe pears (and or apples), chop them into chunks and pop in a lidded pan with a splash of water and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Simmer for about 8mins or until soft. I then transfer the fruit (leave the juice in the pan or it's far too runny) to the blender or now I just mash with a fork as we've started on lumpier stuff. You can freeze it fine.

Alfie loved tomato & courgette puree but I find having to peel & de-seed tomatoes a right chore. I just steamed the courgette, pan fried the tomato with a splash of olive oil and then blended the two together. This one turns out quite fluid so I might bulk it up by adding baby pasta (Boots sell cute little pasta stars) as tomato & courgette is one of his favourites.

Alfie didn't like singular veg so I tend to do a medley of root veg. I'll use a couple of carrots, one parsnip, small butternut squash, couple of sweet potato/normal white potato. He loves broccoli & (white) potato.
    Sometimes a small knob of unsalted butter added during blending can help the taste or a splash of full fat cows milk.

I've just started introducing meat to his diet. Today he had braising steak which had been pan fried with onions in a knob of butter and then blended with steamed carrots & white potato. He loved it!

I haven't tried him with toast yet. Might do tomorrow though! He loves the HiPP rice & apple cereal or sometimes weetabix with cows milk warmed. We tend to stay away from bananas though as they make him constipated. We've got Petit Filous fromage frais for tomorrow but going to try giving them at room temp as he wasn't keen last time as too cold when straight out the fridge!

Shell xx

P.S. Kirsty, "pith off" in your original post made me laugh as i tend to read out loud sometimes. Sounds like a lisp

[Modified by: floss78 on February 15, 2010 10:41 PM]

• Options
    is baby pasta different to normal pasta? x
  • Options
    iansprincess - I haven't examined nutritional values so not sure if baby pasta is different in that respect but baby pasta is tiny and so more manageable for smaller mouths.

Shell xx
  • Options
    Fraz loves whole dried natural apricots that have been soaked for a few hrs in boiled water so they're nice and soft. Apparently they've got lots of iron in which is important for bf babies over 6m. x