Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Got Lily's Referral

Hi girls,
Well I finally have Lily;s referral through for the paed about her legs, its next Friday. I have been really good and not googled anything, but its really starting to worry me now. I just want to know what it is and what to do??
Lisa & Lily x

Replies

• I've got my fingers crossed for you & Lily. You'll have to keep us updated. I'm sure they'll have answers for you soon but I know how difficult it is having to wait & not know.

Shell xx
  • Hi Shell,
    Thanks for your reply hun, it means a lot. Will probably update you on FB if thats ok. Dont feel like anyone that bothered in here anymore with us, quite strange maybe I upset someone at some point, who knows.
    Never mind I guess image
    Lisa x
  • Oh hunny, please don't feel like that, i don't think any of post as much as we used to, i never posted much anyway as don't have tons of time but we do care. How is Lily, does she manifest any obvious symptoms from having a slightly longer/shorter leg? My friend has this condition her left leg is almost 1cm shorter than her right. Other than being more prone to backache and having i very slight but pretty unoticable limp when she is barefoot (you would never know unless she points it out.) I hope all goes well with Lily's appointment. Please do keep us updated sweetie, Best wishes and hugs
    Jo xxx
  • Thanks Jo, I know none of us have much time to post, it was just my last few topics have had only one reply when the topics around them had more, so I naturally took it personally, maybe I am a bit over-sensitive this week! image

I have noticed her leg look shorter than the other from when she was a few weeks old but no-one else could see it, Finally OH agreed with me, then others could see it when I pointed it out again - I just wish I had pushed more earlier.
    When she stands up her left leg locks straight and her right is bent where it is longer. The strange thing she does is cross her legs at the ankles CONSTANTLY! She literally does it ALL the time, when she plays, when I am trying to change her, in the bath, when she sleeps, in the buggy etc. She tenses her legs really tight and tenses her stomach, more recently she has started straightening her arms out too and almost "zones" out when she does it, its really quite weird and she has a very intense concentrating face when she does it. I am wondering if this feels like a relief, you know like when you need a good stretch? It is almost 1cm now and I think it has got more since she was little, other people think its just more noticeable now, but I definitely think its a bigger gap. The Doc says he doesnt think its dysplasia or a curved spine, which is why she has been referred for scans/x rays etc.
    Roll on Friday, to see what they think, I dont know if they will scan or x ray her then or just look at her and have to bring her back for the pics etc??
    Thanks
    Lisa & Lily xx
  • Well best of luck. i know what you mean about seeing post around your own having fewer views but more replies i feel like that sometimes so your not being over sensitive or if you are then i am too. Hope Friday comes round quickly for you, will keep everything crossed.
    Jo xx
  • Hi Lisa, sorry you feel that nobody cares. When I saw this post I did try to find your original post about Lily's legs but I couldn't. I must admit that I am rarely on here either so I miss loads.

What you were saying about Lily crossing her ankles, my LO does that a hell of a lot. She's being doing it for ages and she raises her legs straight out to about a 45 degree angle. She looks like she is performing some kind of ab exercise. Like Lily, she has a focussed look on her face but she usually has something in her hands or they are clasped together when she does it. She only does it when she's awake though but at change time, when playing and even on her back in the swimming pool!! I'm not sure why she does it but she's not in discomfort, she look happy enough - I think it's just some kind of baby habit.

Good luck with the referral x
  • So glad you got your referral hun, hope its something that can be sorted fairly easily. Best of luck with it. I dont get on here much anymore and if I do rarely get on long enough to reply to anyone!
  • Hi girls,
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry for being a winge, think I am a bit on edge this week.

Andipink - am glad your lo does it too, then Lily's leg thing must just be a coincidence! Although she does do it about 95% of the time! :roll:

Roll on Friday!
    Lisa & Lily x
  • Hey hon, I'm mainly on facebook too and completely missed this - sorry if you felt ignored or unsupported. Friday will hopefully clarify things and put you rmind at rest. I'm sure will all work out fine. Sending huggles x
  • It's good that thinks are progressing Lisa. I'm sorry I have not posted before now, my internet connection at home has been on a go-slow since Friday (we have a Vodafone dongle but I think we are going to have to upgrade to a landline and broadband!) so I have been able to read but not post

Big hugs xx
  • Thanks girls, sorry I feel a bit of a numpty now tbh, got AF this morning too so I am blaming it partly on that too! :lol:
    Just want Friday!!!!! This week is REALLY dragging!!!!
  • Oh hun I hadn't seen this, I'm mainly lurking in bf (and ttc and pregnancy hehe!) If it makes you feel any better I have posted in bf and had no replies but it just happens sometimes so don't take it to heart.
    I know the waiting is the worst bit, I'm still waiting on Orla's blood test results, I just want the flaming letter already! As I posted before my sister has one leg slightly longer and apart from some backache she really has no other issues from it.
    Good luck on friday for you and Lily, let us know how it goes, either her or fb.

Cat xxx
  • Hi sweet - good news on the referral, fingers crossed all is well.
    Sorry you feel a bit like that - the August forum is very quiet these days isn't it.
    I'm only posting as H is at an introduction session at nursery - he is a little whirlwind and I just have no time.
    Bigs hugs and keep us posted xx
  • Hey hun!
    I must have missed your other post.... very sorry. I often dont come on here for a week or and do try to catch up!
    Hope your feeling a bit better than you have over the last couple of days..... sometimes when we are worrying the silliest things get the better of us!
    Really glad they have referred Lily. Friday will be here soon enough. I know what its like waiting for appointments..... we're now just waiting on a letter with a date for Caileys op! Stressful and worrying!
    All the best for friday and do let us know how she gets on!
    Big hugs!
    xxxx

MummyCat i too am lurking in ttc and prenancy..... im missing it all so much! haha
    xx

• I'm sorry Lisa im guilty or reading and running! The amount of times that I write a reply and get sidestracked off to something else ;0( . Hope the rest of the week goes quickly and her appointment is a sucess. I'm away but will be thinking of you and Lily.

Good luck x x
  • sorry i'm another one who goes missing!

i always read posts on my mobile but its a real hassle to reply using that so i don't often post.

please let us know how Lily gets on x x
  • Oh no don't feel like that! I've had that paranoia before too and have been posting less since I connected with some mummies on facebook. Let's revive our lovely August forum! Hope you and Lily are doing okay. Oh and I am also lurking in forums that I shouldn't... I need to step away from ttc! helen x
  • Hey hope it all went well today and you got some answers or possible answers. Let us know how you got on. Thinking of you and Lily.
    Best Wishes
    Jo xxx
  • Hi Lisa how did it go? x
  • Hi girls,
    Thanks for your messages and thinking of us.
    Well to be honest I feel like I know less now than I did before!!
    The Dr was really nice and checked her legs and hips and spine etc, he actually measured each part of her leg and compared it with the other side etc, so the measurement between her hip and knee cap on each leg is the same, and between each knee and ankle is the same, but if you put the legs together they dont line up by about 1cm now. He said he has pretty much ruled out any neurological or muscular problems in the leg and believed it was a bone problem, probably developmental hip dysplasia (sp?) which tbh is what I thought it must be.
    He sent us down for an x-ray and said to come back and he would have a quick look at the image, and if it was a "big" thing that was really apparent then we could discuss it further now, but if not we had to wait for the report from having the x-ray read. Typically he couldn't see anything big so we have to wait for the report. But I said if the measurements are the same, you dont think its neuro or muscular and you cant see dysplasia then what is it as the leg is clearly shorter, - he couldn't answer me, he just said we have to wait for the report!
    After we got outside, OH said that just above the hip joints where the pelvis is, on one side was a gap of about 1/2 - 1cm and on the other side it was much bigger - about 2cm. I guess if that was the case, it will be picked up on the report, but I was quite mad at him for not bloody saying so when we were in there!! Obviously I dont know what that would mean, so I guess we will have to wait for an answer. I really feel like I know less now than before! We have a follow up appointment in 2 months unless the report says something that means we need to go back sooner.
    Its just all a bit vague for me.....
    Lisa xx:\?

[Modified by: lisalilypops on June 04, 2010 08:50 PM]