Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bleeding

Hi ladies and lovely babies!

Sorry to ask, but how long did everyone bleed after having their babies? Orla is 11 days old and I'm still bleeding, not heavy but more like a period. I'm also mixed feeding so I thought that the breastfeeding would help to stop it. I can't believe I'm saying this so soon after having a baby but I wouldn't mind having a bit of adult time with hubby! ;\) He is like a horny teenager at the minute, so that doesn't help.
I have read it can take up to 6 weeks but I'm praying it will be alot quicker than that xxx

Cat xxx

Replies

• James is three weeks old and I had a c section and am still bleeding! Not very much but its still there which is a bit annoying, hope it doesnt take six weeks to stop xx
  • Hi,

Just gatecrashing from July. I bled for 6 weeks after my son was born, it was very light after 2 weeks or so but still there and I bf the whole time.

I know it's not the same for everyone but it can go on, sorry.

• I am still bleeding alothough it is light at ita been 13 days since Grace was born with my last it was about 3 weeks but that was years ago!
  • My MW told me the length of bleed can depend upon whether you had the injection to expel the placenta. If you did you can bleed heavier and for a little longer. xx
  • Hi hun,

I bled for 9 days and then it virtually stopped, then on the tenth day I passed a massive blood clot, it was like a lump of liver, after that I bled for at least another week until it started getting like bloody discharge and yesterday, exactly 3 wks since I gave birth was the first day I didnt wear a panty liner.

I was shocked to get the blood clot on day 10 as apparently you should get lighter then and when I read up on it is quite common and they call it the placenta scab as apparently sometimes you lose a scab which formed where the placenta was attached to you and once the scab comes off you can bleed until it heals up. he advice is if you bleed a lot then take it easy and the bleeding should slow down.

I breast fed and I had the injection if that helps

Gxx
  • My bleeding wasn't very heavy apart from the first 24 hours - then like a heavy period for about a week after 2 weeks it had stopped and even had sex after 16 days so can't complain. Was similar after i had my second but think was worse after my first and due to quite a few stitches was 5 weeks before sex was on the cards. Everyone is different i guess.
    Jo xx
  • I guess I'm pretty lucky then, I had Alfie 8 days ago and my bleeding has virtually stopped. He was born by section though.
    I thought it had stopped fully on Thurs (6days after birth) but then I went to the loo late at night and was horrified to see blood everywhere down the loo. It was like I had gushed but I didn't feel a thing. I've been fine since.
    2 days after the birth when I got home I had a shower and I started to bleed so heavy, it was all over the bathroom floor. I had an absolute panic and sobbed. Hubby was great, calmed me and cleaned it up. When I spoke to the MW she told me that as I had been laid for a while after the section, the blood can pool and then just flood out so it helps to stay as active/upright as possible so the blood can flow freely.
    I suppose everyone is different.

Shell & Alfie xx
  • Thanks for your replies girls. MKB- I didn't know about the injection having an effect, saying that I had a natural third stage so I didn't have the injection.
    The bleeding is just annoying, because one day it seems to have all but stopped then the next it's like being on a period again. Fingers crossed it stops in the next week or so.

Cat xxx
  • I bled for 6 weeks after my first daughter.

This time I was bleeding for 10 days then it almost stopped (had sex), for 10 days after that I had minimal brown blood on and off. But for the past 5 days its gone red again? Also had what felt like period pains in bed last night. I dont know if this is a period or not but have read that you dont have another period until 8 weeks? confused & slightly worried xx
  • Hiya!

I had a c-sec. I bled for about 4 days, then it stopped completely. After around 2 1/2 weeks it started up again and it's mainly every other day I notice some pinky muscus on wiping....I'm now 3 weeks & 2 days in.

Just remember that you haven't had a period for 10 months and there would be a lot of matter up there from the pregnancy! image

Rach xxx