Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Having a nightmare!!!

Good morning ladies

I just need to have a bit of a meltdown and hopefully I will feel better.

My beautiful baby joe is having a few problems. His brother has some really serious allergies and carries adreniline pens everywhere just in case of anaphylatic shock, this is the main reason we have such a large age gap as we thought it wasnt fair to bring another child into the world with such painful reactions and fear of death. We decided to give it a go and follow every bit of advice to try and prevent allergies. I eat heathly during pregnancy, no drinking at all, loads of rest and then when baby was born I breastfed exclusivley for 6 months and then weaned him with blw and or-bloody-ganic veg! I am still breastfeeding, joe hasn't dropped any feeds yet he is allergic to dairy and last night he had a very scary reaction to calpol. I feel like I have let him down and it frightens me that I can't protect him from these reactions. Alex only started reacting when he was 3 and I'm now thinking that joe is going to be worse and it frightens me that I have a realistic possibility that I could lose both of my boys image. I know it's a bit of an overreaction but it has really freaked me out. Hopefully I will look back on this post in a couple of weeks and have a little chuckle. Does anyone have anyexperience of their lo's growing out of allergies?

Feel a little better, you just have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and plod on

k x x

Replies

• Oh sweetheart I'm so sorry you're feeling so low. I just wanted to send you a huge hug and to say you've done bloody marvellously til now, with the exclusive bf and BLW, you couldn't have done more. It is not selfish to bring a child into the world if that child is wanted and loved. All children will have some issues one way or another be it physical, emotional, acedemically, social or psychological, and sadly much as we do everything in our power to, we can't protect them from everything. let alone all the additional traumas life throws at you.

I can't imagine how scary it is knowing your child could have a serious, even life threatening reaction to something, it must play on your mind hugely and constantly and I think you've every right to have a meltdown every now and then, it's an incredible strain to live under. But Joe is the most gorgeous, happy little soul and he will have a full and happy life and will learn in time to live with any issues. I so hope you are not beating yourself up any longer, you are doing the best job any mum can.

Chin up sweetie, hugs by the bucketload coming your way.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Just wanted to say how well you have done and if Joe does get allergies like his brother then it is not your fault- please don't beat yourself up

Big hugs xxx
  • hiya sorry you are so worried.

I can sort of understand because I have a tree nut allergy now and used to be allergic to everything when i was little. I have grown out of the other allergies but I still have to be very careful with nuts.

Although its hard I manage fine and everyone is very accepting of allergies now. James nursery is completely nut free in case of allergies.

You will worry and it will be hard but you could not of done more for your boys and i'm proof that you can manage allergies well x x
  • Hey there, just wanted to say hope you're feeling okay, and stay positive, don't expect the worst!

My cousin had bad childhood allergies. She was allergic to practically everything including dust and grass. But she grew out of them all and is now totally unaffected, hoping it's the same for your boys x
  • hey hun,
    i hope your feeling a bit better?
    try to stay positive, i know its not easy!
    my friends little girl also has some serious allergies and also has an epi pen. When im looking after her i really panic incase she gets something she cant have, but now at 5 she is very aware of the things she is allergic too and knows how they are likely to affect her. Now she is older she does not have such severe reactions as she did when she was little. Her mum gives her echinicea to boost her immune system.
    its onlt natural to feel how you do, our kids are the most precious thing to us and the thought of anything going wrong with my LO really terrifies me!

My LO is showing signs of having asthma and atm she is suffering bad..... im petrified to go to sleep at night as her breathing is not good. She is also suffering from hayfever. Im hoping that she may grow out of this as she gets older.

I hope your boys do grow out of them.

xxx