Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Back to work :(

Not long before i'm back at work and I am really having mixed feelings,

I would love to be a sahm but just can't afford it especially as we will have to either extend or move house in the next wee while

Last time round I did not want to go back to work so went back for a week then went to the Dr who signed me off for 6 weeks I hated my job and was struggling for childcare.

This time round I like my job the hours aren't too bad, it;s shift work but 3 days on 10 days off 3 days on 4 days off childcare isn't an issue but I just want to stay at home,

I think I've been off for so long now (14 June Last year) and am back on 5th May (well officially earlier but due to my 10 days off and a couple of days they are owe me) I just want to cry.

I think it's because I'm off on holiday in 2 weeks for 1 week and although this has been planned for ages I always assumed it was ages away but it signalled the return to work phase.

What makes it worse I think is that I;ve just realised i'm nightshift on Christmas day. image

Oh well

Replies

• It's so hard isn't it? I'm due back at the beginning of May. I've always loved my job but would do anything just to stay at home with my daughter (and have lots of other babies too!) Just keep thinking that I'm lucky to have been able to spend 9 months off as many can't even afford that luxury I guess x
  • Ah it is hard hun but as littlerose says, we do what we need to for our families. Working is part of making sure that we help to provide for our little ones if we need to. I felt like this before returning to work but have found the KIT days really helped and it's not as bad as I thought - honestly! Any chance you could do the odd shift once per week maybe to ease you in gently before May?

Big hugs and you're def not alone with your feelings. We all know how hard it is to return after a two week holiday never mind all of these months off. Good luck

K xxx
  • Done a couple of KIT days at the start of the month. To be honest with you it was nice being back at work and terrible to say I didn' really miss being at home. But I wasn't back doing full duties as not passed fit yet.

I think that it's just the thought of going back to full duties and dealng with the sort of people I have to deal with on a regular basis I don't know if I'll have the patience. I 'm in the police and work in the custody area (cells)!

Looking after children is definately easier, even though my 6yo has started having temper tantrums recently. We never got them at 2/3 years old so he is making up for them now.

Diana
  • Yes Diana I agree you have a very demanding job! Shouldn't compare as yours is a lot more demanding . I work as a lecturer in our local college and the thought of mainly teenage girls, full of hormones would be a nightmare with my mix of hormones but we were fine. I too have been on 'light duties' so to speak by helping 3 of our more 'challenging' learners rather than back into teaching classes yet.

When I go back properly, I'll be working with full classes and teach all levels from very basic entry (mostly expelled from school and could give your 'customers' a run for their money) to the higher achieving, HND learners. I am also the entry level personal tutor and responsible for both pastoral and academic care. I usually have a way of communicating well with the 'naughty' ones and it's so rewarding when they do well but they do give me some grey hairs and sleepless nights sometimes - as I'm sure yours do!

Hope your 6 yr old snaps out of the tantrums soon! He/she may just be competing for your attention with a new baby being here and will (hopefully)grow out of it. At least you can negotiate with a 6 year old a little more? My first had bad tantrums at 2 but luckily grew out of them by nursery. He's almost 13 so hoping they dont make a re-appearance - so far so good!

One thing I try and remember is that if you changed your job, it may not pay as well and would have to do more hours to compensate! Good luck for when you do go back and I'm sure a few weeks in, it will be as if you've never been away!

K x