Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My baby will not sleep in her crib..pls help!

what can i do?

I am b/feedig, so she usually doses at the breast but then when i lay her down, her eyes are wide awake and she cries until i pick her up. I have tried rocking thr crib, but it doesnt settle her. She has been in our bed everynight,,,,,and i am not sleeping great bcos i am basically watching her....pls help!

I have also tried wheeling her in her bugaboo but she doesnt like that either. Tried going for a walk late at night .....she falls asleep in bugaboo but then as soon as i wheel her in doors she wakes up!!!

A very tired MKB xx

Replies

• Options
    aww MKB we are having the same problem but only for the last couple of days! she sleeps on us and when we put her down she sleeps for 5 mins then is wide awake, but she does know how to get herself off as she does this at bedtimes!
    i read from someone else that putting a rolled up blanket beside baby will give them the feeling of being held!
    sorry i cant be much help, but i'll also be very glad of some advice ladies!

xxx
  • Options
    hey Karin - thanks!

Am I allowed to swaddle at night ?

xx
  • Options
    Hi MrsKB i had the exact same problem with Roxy. She started off well but then began refusing to go to sleep in her crib or moses basket at night. She just wanted to be held so i was up most of the night. I got so frustrated as i was so sure we were doing well by trying to not get her used to being held all the time but it was all going wrong.

Well 2 nights ago i started putting her in her own room by putting her moses basket in the cot and she sleeps really well. Don't know if this is feasable to you as its hard putting them in another room, i hardly slept the firtst night but she seems more rested and i've even put her down awake and she eventually (with no crying) goes off to sleep which is brilliant. I also leave a v low light on (its on the monitor) so she's not in the dark.

Hope this helps

LouLou x
  • Options
    My little one was just like that. He would fall fast asleep in my arms or at the boob but the instant I attempted to put him down his arms would fly out and he would wake himself up and not be able to self settle. I started to swaddled during they day and night and I have had no problems since. I spoke with my hv about swaddling at night she said as long as baby wasn't too hot or there was no risk of the sheet covering the face it would be fine. What I do now is feed baby and when he has finished and is dozing I lie him in the middle of a sheet (moses basket size) and cross his hands on his chest so the he can suck on them when he wakes, this also prevents the sheet going in his mouth. I then wrap each side like the ends are going under his armpits. I then cuddle a little bit more to warm the sheet and off he pops sound asleep.

The way I look at it is our little ones have been cuddled for the last 9 months so it must be a shock to be able to move freely, swaddling reminds them of the comfort of the womb. I hope this makes sense x x x

Let me know if it works for little Bebeana (hope I spelt it right) x x x

Kirsten & Joe 5wks
  • Options
    We had that issue too. First thing I did was put Haiden to sleep in her pram, and that made things better so we borrowed a moses basket to use instead of the crib we were using. The issue I think was the crib rocked by itself and I don't think she liked it.

Now we are using a sleeping bag instead of sheets and blankets too. She always kicked them off but obviously she can't do that with a bag and it really helps. Maybe it's the fact that she stays warm when I put her down from being cuddled. I am also using a rolled up blanket round the top of her head like her carseat xx
  • Options
    Yep - have had the same problem. Night time isn't too bad but she hates it during the day. Swaddling def a good idea. Also I've been reading about not waiting until they are sound alseep to be put down, which I have found really hard, but basically have been settling her by shhing in her ear - mimic's the noise of the womb, and sometimes using a heartbeat rate pat on her back to settle her, then putting her down whilst she is just drifting off continuing with the shhing and patting until she is off. Then if she stirs, do the shhing and patting in her moses basket if needed. If she really starts to cry, pick her up and start the process all over again. Sounds long winded, but I've also read that it can take 15 mins for a baby to fall alseep. Oh, when she's too hot to be swaddled, I include with the shhing and patting holding her arms gently so they don't fly everywhere and upset her.

Anyway, this is working ish, but is hard work when she screams. I just keep reminding myself that this is about helping to teach her how to sleep properly.

Hope my ramblings make sense.

Chiara xx
  • Options
    Yep - have had the same problem. Night time isn't too bad but she hates it during the day. Swaddling def a good idea. Also I've been reading about not waiting until they are sound alseep to be put down, which I have found really hard, but basically have been settling her by shhing in her ear - mimic's the noise of the womb, and sometimes using a heartbeat rate pat on her back to settle her, then putting her down whilst she is just drifting off continuing with the shhing and patting until she is off. Then if she stirs, do the shhing and patting in her moses basket if needed. If she really starts to cry, pick her up and start the process all over again. Sounds long winded, but I've also read that it can take 15 mins for a baby to fall alseep. Oh, when she's too hot to be swaddled, I include with the shhing and patting holding her arms gently so they don't fly everywhere and upset her.

Anyway, this is working ish, but is hard work when she screams. I just keep reminding myself that this is about helping to teach her how to sleep properly.

Hope my ramblings make sense.

Chiara xx