Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Who is breast feeding?

Hi guys

Well ive made it to two weeks breast feeding. Really struggled for first week when nipples were red raw but the last few days they have healed and breast feeding doesnt hurt at all. Half way through the first week I had a bad night as Bertie was very hungry and waking up every hour so since then the middle of the night feed has been a bottle filled with expressed milk, as soon as he has that bottle he sleeps for a good four hours which is great so most nights I only wake up once or twice.

He is feeding every two to three hours during the day but I dont mind as long as he is happy. Its annoying when he falls asleep whilst feeding and I find im doing all sorts to try to wake him up, i burp him change his bum tickle and blow him but sometimes he is so cosy he doesnt wake. He then wakes up hungry an hour later! I am worrying that he is getting hungrier so am not adverse to introducing a formula feed if this growth spurt continues as I dont want him to go hungry but will only do that as a last resort.

Im pleased I have managed to breast feed with Bertie as really couldnt do it with my first, im taking it one day at a time. Im not the type of person who would criticise someone who doesnt breast feed as I know how hard it is and how much it hurts but I like the fact that ive managed to get through the hardest part. The midwife was very happy with his weight and that made me feel great;
Day 1 - 8lb 6oz
Day 5 - 8lb 9oz
Day 10 - 9lb 1/2oz
Day 14 - weigh in tomorrow

Hows everyone else doing?

Georgie and Bertie (13days)

Replies

• Yeah, I'm breast feeding. I was really worried about it but I have to say it's going great and I'm loving it.

At fist it was a struggle to get Fraser to feed as he was so sleepy and had to do a bit of hand expressing onto a tea spoon just to start him off and get him interested but now he's latching on really well and feeding like a good un. He's even got a little blister on his lip from ucking so much (which apparently is quite normal).

On day 2 when I was desperate to get him feeding he latched on wrong for one feed and I had a sore nipple for the rest of that day but since then I've been really vigilant about getting him on right and my nipples have been fine.

I'm really please I've been able to do this for him and planning to kep it up as long as possible.

xxx Helly.

• Hi hun, glad its going well for you. Bertie was hungry for booby from the second he was born and sometimes he just clamps his gums down and its a real toe curling moment!

I love the feeling of bonding with him, watching him sucking away either staring at me or with his eyes closed looking so content. It was only annoying when it was painful and you know he is not hungry he just wants the booby for comforting.

I just love my little man so much!

Gxx
  • Hi Girls, Im breast feeding George and am really chuffed with myself Ive got this far! Hes very happy seems to love b/fing and was very clever to latch on pretty much straight away so its kept me determind to carry on.

Hes content 99% of the time and we dont seem to suffer from colic, wind or sickness so Im guessing its all good by him.

Apart from bad nights Im finding it an easy option as it seems so easy to just pop him on my breast as opposed to sterlising and making bottles up. George is my first so I havent had experience of bottle feeding but it certainly appears to be the simplier option.

Hes feeding every 2.5 hours in the day and seems to get abit hungrier before bed time but last night he must have tanked himself up and slept from 11 to 4 and then 5 til 8:30 so Im not complaining today!!

Well done to us all girls.

C xx

[Modified by: claireclaired on August 21, 2009 02:28 PM]

• Hey ladies this is my first outing into Born in August! So exciting! I am bfeeding and luckily Freddie latched on straight away so I've not had any problems in that department. His feeding has been really erratic though and seems to have slowed down during the day now and he actually feeds more regularly at night. On night 2 we had a grueller where he fed all night with only 10 minute gaps between feeds, I was exhausted and worried but a fab midwife on the ward got me through it, but after 12 hours of non stop feeding my nipples were so sore. They are getting better but it's still a bit uncomfortable. However, I am a bit worried about a routine. I was just feeding on demand, but making sure it never went longer than 6 hours between feeds. However I have had a check up from mw today and she said because of his weight he should be feeding every 2 to 3 hours. The problem is I can't seem to wake him to feed that regularly during the day. He may latch on for a very quick suckle and then nods off. Any advice on whether I should just keep feeding as and when he wants, or tips to get him to wake up, I've tried changing, tickling, blowing and jigging him around. I don't want to express and bottle feed just yet as he's only 4 days old and I don't want to confuse thinmgs with a teat. How long did it take you guys to get more of a routine and to feel happy your babies were getting enough?

Ooof sorry that went on a bit longer than I meant!

• Well done Claire, sounds like your having a fab time. I saw your post on my topic on the BF forum and think your doing really well.

I cant believe how it doesnt hurt me to bf now, when I was in such paina week ago and was really down hearted about it all.
    Bertie got weighed today and he is now 9lbs and 9oz which means he has put on 9oz since Monday. The health visitor said I must have cream instead of milk, she was really pleased and knowing he is putting on weight makes me really happy too. He has been a bit grizzly after his four hour sleep in he night and I havent been able to get him to settle between 4/5 and when Luke gets up for work at 7, he must be very hungry which I put down to a growth spurt.

Keep up the good work and well done to all us BF's

Gx
  • Unfortunately not. Haiden wouldn't latch on although she knew where she was going and she got my nipple in her mouth, so by the next day I told the MWs I would give her a bottle. I continued to bottle feed and try her on the breast but nothing doing.

Then I got nipple shields and we used those for a couple of days (which worked but was sooo painful and really messy too- think milk running down your tummy and side when the baby moves away- not good if you are out and about) and we were ending up sitting there for two hours at a time. I ended up getting very upset, and Haiden seemed unhappy too, so I went back to bottles. We are far happier now. It is a shame but at least I can say I tried!! x
  • Yes i'm breastfeeding, bottlefeeding didn't really occur me even before i had my first - i don't want that to sound all righteous or that i don't agree with bottlefeeding as far as i'm concrned its personal choice how we want to feed our babies. With my first it took me almost three weeks to establish breastfeeding and get her to latch on without it hurting and for my nipples to feel comfortable but it was worth it - with my second it was like i ddin't even have to think he just latched on and away we went and Iris is the same she's a super little feeder (even though my boobs are bigger than her head lol). I breastfed the first two exclusively till i weaned them at around 24 wks and then they were still having 3 feeds a day till they were 12 months and my first was still havng a bedtime feed at 14months but had to stop as i was 12 wks pregnant with my second by then and it was exhausting. I'll certainly want to do it for 12 months again but we'll see - in the past BF has worked as a very effective contraceptive for us but we'll probably get caught out this time just to stop us feeling smug lol hahahahaha.
    Jo xxxxx
  • I'm also breastfeeding but struggling a bit. I still find it hard to get a comfy postition and I'm not sure Orla is latching on well. Between 9pm-1am all she wants to do is feed and the supply just isn't there for her. I feel awful for spending so much time with her when my son is missing out. He has been so good with her but he has had no time with me at all. Hopefully she will be weighed today so I'll know if she is getting enough.
    I'm also really worried about getting out and about. I'm such a prude with my body anyway. I can't seem to find a way to feed discreetly yet, and I don't fancy showing off my swollen leaky boobs to every Tom, Dick and Harry! Fingers crossed things will improve over the next couple of weeks.

Cat xxx
  • Hi!! I am breast feeding, loving it!!! It is a little sore still as Ruby has a super strong suck!! She is feeding loads and sometimes every hour which is really tiring especially if it is over night, she also cluster feeds. I have reluctantly introduced a dummy at night and use it if I feel she is full and feeding for comfort, she suffers with wind and this seems to be helping both of us a bit!!
    I am really glad that I am feeding, I was poorly after I gave birth so it was a good couple of hours before I could cuddle and feed her, was so pleased that she latched on immediately like a pro!! We were kept in hospital for the 1st week, if it wasnt for the excellent midwifes I wouldnt of been able to feed her, for a few days I was bedridden and they would bring Ruby to me and help latch her on, wind her and settle her back down, they were amazing support!! I also used all their knowledge to my advantage and left hospital feeling happy and confident in feeding her.
    After all the hurdles we have overcome I am determined to continue feeding her, she is gaining lots of weight now as well!!
    Lisa & Ruby 18 days old xx
  • Well done to all you girls who are doing well breast feeding, I know how hard it is but am so pleased that im not finding any pain now. My main problem is that Bertie gets so hungry his periods sleeping have started to lessen, he was doing a good four hours in the night after having a bottle of expressed milk but now that is shortening meaning that I am getting up more in the night. Its not just the fact that its frustrating him keep waking and it makes me tired its the fact that when I put him down he wakes not long after and laches on sucking with such force that he must be starving. He has also had quite bad colic which I suspect is caused by keep having ten min feeds on the fore milk and falling asleep. Its heart breaking seeing him in so much pain and then he is sick and then he is starving again so I can sometimes find myself feeding him for an hour and a half.

This lunch time at about 2pm he had been grisly since 5am this morning and not settling at all so I made him a Dr Brown bottle with some aptamil ready made formula in in. It was amazing he drank the whole bottle without taking a breath and then slept soundly until about 5.30 which was 3 1/5 hours and he was not windy or sick once, he was really content. Im not going to introduce formula full time but I think I am going to give him a formula feed in the night from now on to ensure he has a comfortable time. I really think the Dr Brown bottle helped too so I am going to use them for my expressed milk too.

Mummy Cat - dont worry about getting out and about, your breasts are usually fullest in the morning so after Bertie has had his morning feed I finish off by expressing the milk that is left in both breasts and then I can use that milk in a bottle that I take out with me for his lunch time feed. This means that i dont need to expose myself in public. Some people dont agree with expressing milk in the first month as the baby is supposed to let your body know hoe much milk to produce but my midwife and health visitor both agree that it is whatever is best for the individual.

Gxx
  • Im breastfeeding Holly, she took to it straight away thankfully. It was a little sore for the first couple of days as I dont think the colostrum was filling her so she was wanting to feed all the time. Also she was looking for comfort so on the Monday night (after I had been awake since the saturday having her), I caved and gave her a dummy, she wasnt sleeping either so decided it was for the best. Since my milk came in its going great.
    Ive been using biofemme cold compresses in my bra to help heal my nipples and they are fantastic.
    As for keeping babies awake during a feed, a midwife in my hospital told me to use a wet piece of cotton wool and just gently run it on babies cheek to wake them up.

Lisa xxx
  • Hello everyone, Im breastfeeding Esme too. But am also still letting my toddler breastfeed to get him asleep for the night too so havent actually stopped anytime over last two years lol !!!
    I am trying to stop him at the min but it seems a bit cruel to just cut him off just because Esme has arrived so i am going to wean him off gently.

Not sure if i will suffer with the sore nipples this time as i would have thought my skin will already be tough to it but will have to see. Newborns have a much stronger suckle than older babies lol.

I have been lucky with feeding my babies but it is because i have persivered to beigin with. I think its well worth the hard work at the begining and i can't imagine getting up in the night to make up bottles or spend time having to sterilise all the gear

xxx Sarah xxx
  • I am breastfeeding and its going well - I was sure that I was not going to do it but then changed my mind last minute and its going well. Nipples are sore but getting better now! I am enjoying it just not sure how long I will do it for xx
  • Ive stopped breast feeding!

I had a really rough weekend and Bertie was not a happy bunny. The breast milk was making him sick but it turns out that it was because the breast milk is thiner than formula and he has reflux and the muscle that stops the food from coming out of the stomach has some developing to do, its very common. The doctor has now prescribed gaviscon and I am giving him formula full time and he is so much more content. with the breast milk there was a cycle of feeding, crying and puking and then he would be hungry again. He is so much happier.

I would have liked to continue breast feeding but Bertie being happy and content is the most important thing.

Gxx
  • Im glad to hear Bertie is better Georgie, my niece had reflux when she was born and it took her nearly 3 weeks to regain her birth weight. Sometimes breast feeding just doesnt work and its better to get baby feeding happily than to stress yourself out over it.

Lisa xxx
  • Hello! I'm not breastfeeding as it's just not something I was at all comfortable with. Milk has come in today though and my boobs are Mahoosive! Never mind cabbage leaves - I could be smuggling two fair size savoys in my bra!

Joking aside, Sophie is now doing pretty well and feeding every 4hours after a rocky start due to lots of yucky mucus in her tum.
  • hey, William wouldn't suck hardly at all since he was born so ive been expressing since day 1! he latched on and sucked a couple of times in hospital but i was giving him some more in a little cup. dont think he was gettikng enough though as it took so long to give him the milk in the cup. Decided to give him expressed milk in a bottle, which he drank so fast, he must have been so hungry! i kept trying him on the breast and eventually decided to try nipple shields as i felt he wasnt able to grip the nipple properly, only used them twice (thought they were fab at making the nipple larger lol) and then since he's been latching on and sucking great. he's now just over 3 wks and im both breastfeeding him and expressing as i find hes more satisfied after having the bottle and lasts longer. he keeps falling asleep on the breast and once i put him down 2 mins later he wakes to continue feeding, it seems like such a long process. i really do want to continue breastfeeding but it seems so hard all i seem to do all day is feed and express. i feel like im not producing enough for him. if i just solely b-feed him during the day i'll be feeding all night long too, sometimes every hour! so ive been trying to give him as much expressed before bed, it depends how much ive managed to express, then he sleeps for about 4 hrs. i once managed to express 150ml and he drank the whole bottle in 1 go! just means if i want to express enough im stuck in the house. i do hope i manage to contine b-feeding, will just have to see how it goes once he gets bigger and starts to want even more milk.
  • hey, William wouldn't suck hardly at all since he was born so ive been expressing since day 1! he latched on and sucked a couple of times in hospital but i was giving him some more in a little cup. dont think he was gettikng enough though as it took so long to give him the milk in the cup. Decided to give him expressed milk in a bottle, which he drank so fast, he must have been so hungry! i kept trying him on the breast and eventually decided to try nipple shields as i felt he wasnt able to grip the nipple properly, only used them twice (thought they were fab at making the nipple larger lol) and then since he's been latching on and sucking great. he's now just over 3 wks and im both breastfeeding him and expressing as i find hes more satisfied after having the bottle and lasts longer. he keeps falling asleep on the breast and once i put him down 2 mins later he wakes to continue feeding, it seems like such a long process. i really do want to continue breastfeeding but it seems so hard all i seem to do all day is feed and express. i feel like im not producing enough for him. if i just solely b-feed him during the day i'll be feeding all night long too, sometimes every hour! so ive been trying to give him as much expressed before bed, it depends how much ive managed to express, then he sleeps for about 4 hrs. i once managed to express 150ml and he drank the whole bottle in 1 go! just means if i want to express enough im stuck in the house. i do hope i manage to contine b-feeding, will just have to see how it goes once he gets bigger and starts to want even more milk.
  • Hi Twist Twirl, dont feel bad honey i know how you feel. With Bertie I was feeding all the time and he never seemed satisfied. Apparently the best time to express is the morning but sometimes I would express in the evening and just after I had he would be hungry again. It got to the point where I wasnt enjoying it anymore which is not what it is all about. I introduced a formula feed in the evening and one at lunch time which really helped fill him up. I only sopped the breast mil altogether when I noticed how much more content bertie was after a formula feed compared to the breast milk one, afer a breast milk feed he would sick it up and then want more food and would be grisly and wake up crying etc, it was awful. I decided (after many feelings of guilt) to change to formula and immediately the throwing up stopped but he has developed colic which was awful for the first night. My health visitor has recommended something called colief for it and its really worked and Bertie is really content again so we got there in the end!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Gxx
  • I've chosen to formula/bottle feed.
    As Alfie was born by section my milk didn't come in until a good few days later and so we started on formula feeding.
    I did try BF-ing but really struggled and Alfie was frantic and so upset which then upset me so decided to stay with formula feeding with which he is happy. I do feel a little guilty as if I have let him down but as long as he is happy and gaining weight then I'm not going to beat myself up about it. We have a good routine and he only wakes twice in the night for a feed. I know exactly how much milk he is having and how often and so I feel better knowing this.

Shell & Alfie xx