Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Swine Flu Vaccination

I believe we'll be getting letters through for our babies to have the swine flu jab in about a months time. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience of it and who will or will not be choosing to have it done for their babies and their reasons for this?

Personally I'm erring more not to have it for Alfie. I'm not a great fan of vaccinations and think sometimes it's better to let a child's immune system develop naturally. Obviously each 'ailment' needs to be assessed individually and of course I've had his compulsory vaccines done. As with any vaccine, there isn't a 100% guarantee. I believe that as a nation we are too clean and as a result there are a lot more sickly kids than there was years ago.

This is just my own individual opinion and will gladly welcome any other opinions/comments on this matter. I just want to make sure I make the right decision on whether or not to get it done.

Shell xx

[Modified by: floss78 on 26 January 2010 19:30:53 ]

Replies

• Hi Shell

I'm uming and ahing about it.

My eldest (9) has had the vaccination but he is a severe asthmatic and is classed as high risk. He had no problems with it just a very sore arm that was quite inflammed for about a week. A baby is diffrent I think. I'm like you, I will need to do more research before I can make a decision. Have you had a look at the Jabs website?

K x x
  • i'm not going to with either of my 2 as they do not have any breathing problems. i think i would if they were asthmatic as K says.

Anna x
  • Hey There

My girls had it on Saturday morning, Eilidh (is 2) started getting a sore leg at 7ish then during the night she was up being sick. I cant say for sure if it was a side effect or not as she is now full of the cold! Me and my hubby have had it for weeks so she was gonna get it anyway.

Lucy (6months) has been totally fine.

They didnt cry when they where given the jag either so I was very happy.

The reason I choose to give it to them, was my eldest daughter now goes to nursery and there was a little boy in there before Xmas who caught it, he had no underlying health problems and is still very ill from catching swine flu.

I am not keen on all the injections either but I believe they are there for a reason.

I know a lot of kids that have had it and they have all been fine.

Hope this helps

xx
  • Think I'll look more into it.
    LoobyLou - which website did you mean?

From my experience at work ( I work with dogs), with the kennel cough vaccine (dogs can catch a cough like humans catch a cold), there have never been so many cases since the vacc was introduced. For the past couple of yrs kc has been rife everywhere, and in our experience more than half the cases were from dogs that had had the vacc. I know you can't really compare dogs with humans but I'm just looking at vaccines generally.

I can understand there would be a greater chance of catching swine flu at a nursery and so would make sense to have the vacc done but my sister will be looking after Alfie when I return to work so there's less of a need for me to get it.

Oh decisions, decisions.

Shell xx
  • The website is www.jabs.org

It has some really usefeul information on there but is very anti-vaccination (with reason). I'm still unsure after being on the site. I just think could I ever forgive myself if it was offered and I didn't take it and then lo contracted swine ful and was seriously ill.... its an awful decision x x x
  • I found this site....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/expert_advice/article6908446.ece

I'm really undecided now. Part of me says let the immune sytem develop naturally, the other part says that Alfie's immune system is immature and so needs help.

Shell xx