Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Teething or discovering tongue- going off food?

Haiden has been ill for the last few days, and over the weekend has not wanted much food, only milk. I did think that perhaps this was due to the fact she is sick, but certain things have made me think otherwise:

She will eat a few spoonfuls of food and kind of move it round her mouth a bit, swallowing some and pushing some out. After a few spoonfuls she won't take any more. This is very unlike her- she loves her food! And the funny expressions she makes with her mouth are weird too!

She has her bottom two teeth come through in the last few weeks- the first one is now big enough that it is noticeable to her as something there aswell as her gum hurting

She has been sticking her tongue out over the last few days. But she doesn't giggle about it as she would if it was just a new trick she has learnt, so it makes me think it is something to do with the teeth

Anyway, the wanting just milk thing is causing it's own set of problems- she has had sickness and diarrhoea, and I took her to the docs yesterday. The doctor told me that as babies drink milk when they are ill they often get temporary lactose intolerance, and so although she has stopped being sick, her bum is likely to be runny for weeks. You would not believe how much washing I have done over the last few days, and all of it hers!!!!

xx

Replies

• When Jack was teething, he went off food a little but just wanted to chew his bottle and the spoons. He also used to stick his tongue out and I'm sure it was to feel his bottom 2 teeth but they're nearly all the way through now so he knows better than to do it now. ha ha

Hope Haiden's tummy settles down soon. It's awful when they're poorly isn't it? Could you try soya formula until it settles down? I can well imagine the washing. Jack hasn't had a tummy bug yet (touch wood) but when his teeth were coming through he had the runs and it went right up his back between his shoulder blades! God I know it's lazy but I threw so many vests out as I just couldn't cope with washing them when you can get 3 from ASDA for ??1.75! From experience - one top tip is to take the vest down over to save pulling it over their head if it's really soiled. My mam took Jack's off over his head when I was at work and he ended up in the bath with his hair washed (say no more!) Isn't it amazing how much one little person can go through?

K x
  • Hi hun!
    Ah bless her, I hope she gets better soon. Issy is off colour too! Its horrible.
    Issy went lactose intollerant for 10 days after she had some antibiotics and was pooing for england! Honestly...I truly understand how much washing you must be doing as my washer was on non stop for about 2 weeks! It was everywhere! In the end I did the same as Kirsty and chucked a load away as it was driving me mad.
    My health visitor advised me not to give Issy anyrthing dairy other than her normal milk, so no fromage frais, cheese etc. She was right as rain after 2 weeks. It's horrible while it lasts though.
    Sorry, i'm not sure what advice to give on the tongue/teeth issue hun. Hope she's soon a happy little bunny again!
    xxxxxxxx