Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bad habit: baby sleeping on me in the day

Hi all, would really welcome suggestions! Roisin is 13 weeks old tomorrow and I have developed the bad habit of letting her sleep on me during the day. Have tried rocking her then putting her down, but then she'll only sleep for 20 minutes and get cranky so I always cave and let her sleep on me for her next nap. Didn't mind at first but am now spending too much time trapped under my baby when I could be doing stuff (or sleeping!). Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? Have I left it too late to break this bad habit?:\?

Thank you in advance, Helen x

Replies

• Hi Helen

I do this too! They only thing that I have had a little sucess with is loosely wrapping lo in a moses basket sheet so that there is no diffrence with temp when I put him down. He can sleep a little longer then.

Good luck x x
  • Hello my luv,

Dont worry I think there are a few of us that have bubbas which love their mummies too much lol.

I too want to break this habit.

I dont actually let her sleep on me - I always try to lay her down and if she cries pick her up and get her off again and then lay her down again.....nightmare ha!

BUT I tend to go out everyday.....so this is my routine. Get up and feed, BebeAna then wants to nap at 9.30am ish....I rock her and lay her down .....and then if she stirs and cries i pick her up and rock her again. I have invested in a baby swing (this works as it rocks for me!!)

Her next sleep, I make sure I am dressed and ready to leave the house, I then put her to sleep in the pram and walk for 45 mins (this is the longest she will nap for). Good exercise for me aswell lol.

I then come home feed - change nappy etc ....we then go out in the car and she falls asleep in the car....

Then I may have to rock her for her next sleep and depending where I am - I may let her sleep on me. (IE if I am in cafe - she can sleep on me - if at mums i tend to try to lie her down).

Then her next sleep is in the car journey home.

You get my drift haha.....I basically make sure I am out and about so limit the rocking and sleeping on me!! xxx

I agree with swaddling or wrapping!! That really worked for me.

Do you breast feed? I sometimes lie on the bed and feed laying down - then when baby is asleep I just get up - this way I have not 'moved' baby and disturbed her!!
    xx
  • Hello my luv,

Dont worry I think there are a few of us that have bubbas which love their mummies too much lol.

I too want to break this habit.

I dont actually let her sleep on me - I always try to lay her down and if she cries pick her up and get her off again and then lay her down again.....nightmare ha!

BUT I tend to go out everyday.....so this is my routine. Get up and feed, BebeAna then wants to nap at 9.30am ish....I rock her and lay her down .....and then if she stirs and cries i pick her up and rock her again. I have invested in a baby swing (this works as it rocks for me!!)

Her next sleep, I make sure I am dressed and ready to leave the house, I then put her to sleep in the pram and walk for 45 mins (this is the longest she will nap for). Good exercise for me aswell lol.

I then come home feed - change nappy etc ....we then go out in the car and she falls asleep in the car....

Then I may have to rock her for her next sleep and depending where I am - I may let her sleep on me. (IE if I am in cafe - she can sleep on me - if at mums i tend to try to lie her down).

Then her next sleep is in the car journey home.

You get my drift haha.....I basically make sure I am out and about so limit the rocking and sleeping on me!! xxx

I agree with swaddling or wrapping!! That really worked for me.

Do you breast feed? I sometimes lie on the bed and feed laying down - then when baby is asleep I just get up - this way I have not 'moved' baby and disturbed her!!
    xx
  • Hiya,
    I have the same problem I am afraid. I know I need to break the habit, I breast feed too, so more often than not she falls asleep on the boob too! The trouble with me is I love the cuddles too much! I have also started laying her on a sheet or blanket so the temperature doesnt change too much when I do move her, it does work sometimes. I too go out with her a lot, and when we are out she will sleep in her pram or car seat etc, so i know she is capable of sleeping without me - ha ha so its really me with the problem not her!!!
    Lisa & Lily xx