Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Day Time naps

Hi

How much sleep do you lo's have each day? Lily has maybe 2/3 lots of 30-40mins

Would like her to go abit longer maybe 2 lots of an hour....

How do your lo's get on during the day?xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi newlook,

Grace is exactly the same...... she has 2 or 3 naps of 30-45 minutes each day, no more.

Sorry - I have no tips on how to get Lily to sleep a bit longer!

How is the feeding going now?

Em xx
  • Options
    Hiya, my LO is just the same, thought I was the only with a baby that doesnt like sleeping! Seems to be happening at night more now!! Im knackered! How do your two sleep on a night? x
  • Options
    g/c from born april! My lo is the same and has been since 2 months old! I have tried everything to get her to sleep longer and nothing works! Someone said by 8/9mths they usually take 2 longer naps - but my lo is 9mths and there are no signs of it happening image From 2wks to 2mths old she never slept in the day at all!

I guess you have tried recreating the night time scenario / doing a mini bedtime routine before she naps?
  • Options
    My Alfie's the same. Since he was born he's only ever cat-napped. He only has 2, occasionally 3 naps a day and each is never longer than 30mins.

Mind you he sleeps through at night and I wouldn't want that to change! But I do find it difficult to find time to get showered and ready though because he has such short naps.

Shell xx
  • Options
    Fred really varies from day to day, he has anywhere between 2 and 5 hrs in naps, sometimes just for 30 mins and sometimes 2 to 3 hours! The thing is he nearly always wakes when I put him down so I am still surgically attached to a baby for pretty much all his naps bar any in his pram/car seat and the first nap of the day which is the only one he happily has in his cot,

Mostly I am getting frustrated by it and am trying all sorts to try and get him to sleep on his own, but occasionally it has it's benefits. It was a lovely excuse to sit and watch Dr Zhivago on Sunday, Fred slept for 3 of the 4 hours it was on!

• Options
    Lisa - Grace's sleep varies at night! From 5 weeks she slept for a number of weeks from 6pm til 6am with just a dreamfeed around 11pm. Then that went to pot and she started waking at night despite dreamfeeding but played in her crib! The last few days she has slept from 8.30pm til 8am with no dreamfeed or other feeds but she always wakes around 2am, has a squark at me then has her dummy. If that doesn't work, she comes in bed with us and we don't hear a peep from her! Am conscious though of not making a rod for my own back.,........

Em xx
  • Options
    Bebe-ana has 4 naps - 35 -45 mins each one.

I read the "no cry nap solution" for help in increasing nap time but all the techniques didnt work with bebe - i have a cat napper lol.

xxx
  • Options
    Sometimes my boy cat naps and others sleeps for England more often he cat naps, I don't know the answer maybe as they get older and more mobile and use more energy they may sleep for longer???
  • Options
    the book explains that babies go through a 45 min sleep cycle and if a baby doesnt know how to put herself back to sleep she will wake after the 45 mins. the book gives you techniques to try to help baby 'get back to sleep'.

the book states that some babies do just catnap though and there wont be much you can do about it lol.

the techniques are:

if your baby is asleep in her pram and say she usually wakes after 45 mins...well after 40 mins whilst she is still asleep - you must wheel the pram for 10/15mins, to get baby past the sleep cycle.

if you rock baby in yr arms to sleep - and then you sit down with baby still in yr arms....same as above...after 40 mins stand and start rocking again...

i did all of the above (and other methods) but nothing worked with bebe...she just used to stare at me and laugh ! lol xxx
  • Options
    Fred really varies from day to day, he has anywhere between 2 and 5 hrs in naps, sometimes just for 30 mins and sometimes 2 to 3 hours! The thing is he nearly always wakes when I put him down so I am still surgically attached to a baby for pretty much all his naps bar any in his pram/car seat and the first nap of the day which is the only one he happily has in his cot,

Mostly I am getting frustrated by it and am trying all sorts to try and get him to sleep on his own, but occasionally it has it's benefits. It was a lovely excuse to sit and watch Dr Zhivago on Sunday, Fred slept for 3 of the 4 hours it was on!

x

slippers - i have never been able to put bebe down when she is asleep....nightmare lol. luckily i am only pinned to sofa for 35 mins - maybe 45 mins.

if she falls asleep in her carseart - i have to stay in the car (i now always have a book in glove box) until she wakes as putting the hand brake on and unstrapping her seat wakes her - however careful i am!!

she always has a good sleep in her pram...dont even have to keep wheeling - but it has been soo cold lately that we havent walked the streets much. Oh forgot to add that as soon as i wheel her in doors she wakes lol.

i have a nightmare sleeper - but i wouldnt swap her for the world lol.

xxx

• Options
    Fred is just the same MKB. We drove 3.5 hrs to London over Christmas and Fred slept pretty much the whole way there and back, but stop driving for traffic jams, or stop the car at the destination and he wakes up!

Fred also wakes in his pram as soon as we wheel inside. Occasionally, when its been a bit warmer i leave him outside the back door and he carries on sleeping! Perhaps i should make a CD of outside noise and play it when I wheel him in and blow a fan over him to simulate fresh air!

I bought the no cry nap solution too, but I don't think I perservered long enough. My problem is, once he wakes and is still tired, he cries and then gets beside himself and I spend so long trying to get him back to sleep that either I hold on to him or he misses his nap altogether and is grouchy for the rest of the day.

Claireclaired sent me an ebook on napping which I'm going to try in a couple of weeks when he hits 6 mths, it can take around 2 weeks for them to get the hang of it so I will keep you posted!

Have to say tho I take my hat off to you, cos if i was still waking every 2 hrs to feed I would be beside myself, Fred is very good at night so I can't complain at all! x
  • Options
    omg we have such similar bubbas haha...luckily a lady in my postnatal group has the same bubba - so we have lots in common lol.

i too hold her rather than put her down and interrupt her sleep - otherwise i feel sorry for her - i wld hate to be woken (well I am lol).

Yes, every 2 hours night and day!! My body is sooo used to it now though that I am very alert and with it....and I havent even caught any colds ...so i must not be run down...my mum does make me a huge dinner every day though (and a dinner to bring home to hubby lol)...what wld i do without my mum!! If only she wld clean my house...i still have to do that lol.

I am jealous Fred is a good night sleeper lol.

xxx

• Options
    Isabelle gets up between 9 & 10, then naps at 11 for 20 mins, then at 2 ish for 20 mins, then occasionally she will have a quick snooze at 4:30, but more often she sleeps between 6:30 and 7pm, which was fab at first as we always got to eat our dinner, or I got to wash up in peace, but now we have had to change our meal times so she can eat with us.

I am very lucky that I can put her in her pram in the day and she will stay asleep, but rarely for long enough for me to do more than have a quick shower and a cup of tea!

If we are out for a walk she stays awake now, generally napping just as we reach our destination, but she has true power naps, and seems fine off this amount of sleep.

I did initally wonder if I was missing her "bedtime signs" at 6:30, but if I put her down upstairs then she is having none of it, and will wake every hour until midnight!

Bets XxX
  • Options
    Hi there, R????is????n loves her sleep! She sleeps 12 hours a night and usually has 2 naps- one morning and one afternoon, of about 1 and a half hours each, bliss! As with bets, she now tends to stay awake when out and about as she loves having a look around! I always rocked and cuddled her to sleep but she now will go down awake in her cot- I swaddle her and she will see herself off. Helen x
  • Options
    my lo is the same has about 4 x 45 minute naps a day. Have tried various things but he wont sleep longer. I find he gets grumpier throughout the day though so I think he does need a longer nap at lunch but he hasnt worked that out yet!! I usually have to take him for a walk after lunch as he doesnt seem to settle very easy at this time but is good for the rest of his naps
  • Options
    Harrison NEVER sleeps in the day at home (or anywhere else really). He will only drop off in the pram or car so I go for a long walk in the afternoons to make sure he has at least one sleep. he gets really cranky late afternoon, is fretful and rubs his eys but still rarely drops off. Little monkey!! He sleeps from around 7.30 pm to 3.30am then wakes every half hour for his dummy before getting up around 6.30-7am for a feed! We had 2 weeks of sleeping 7-7 so hoping he gets back to that at some point before I go back to work.
  • Options
    I find he gets grumpier throughout the day though so I think he does need a longer nap at lunch

you are completely right - its called the volcano effect (from the book- no cry nap solution)!!

This doesnt happen to Bebe...so i guess her 45 min naps are ok for her??!! xxxx
  • Options
    Lucy is a good sleeper. Her naps vary sometimes she will have 2 1 hour sleeps in her cot and then a 30 mins snooze in her chair.

She goes down at 7ish and that her until 7 the next morning.

xx
  • Options
    Hi, Just read this and am thninking what a good boy I hvae.

Fraser goes to bed between 630 and 7pm. I get him up for a feed at 11ish and he goes straight back down. He will the sleep through until between 8 and 10. He will wake up earlier but will always go back to sleep.

Fraser the sleeps for 2-3 hours around lunch time and will also sometimes have another hour in the afternoon. He loves his sleep as much as his mother does. image