Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Have you dropped any milk feeds yet?

Hi

I was just wondering if any of your lo's had dropped any milk feeds since weaning. I am currently still 5 bottles a day one of them is a dreamfeed. He doesn't have big bottles sometimes only 4oz the only times of the day he has full bottles is bed time and dreamfeed I was wondering about dropping mid morning bottle???? Just wondered how you guys were getting on? Whats the reccommended oz per day?

Annette

Replies

• Hi Annette,

HV (and the tin of follow on formula, lol) tell me they should be on approx 20oz per day now.

Grace was on five bottles until about January then dropped the dreamfeed. She was on four bottles a day then up until last week when she dropped another is now on 3 a day. I make up 8oz and she takes around 6-7oz per feed on average. She was six months on Sunday.

Her day is something like this:-

7am bottle

8am breakfast (either porridge, fruit and rusk or toast and yoghurt)

11am bottle

12.30pm lunch (finger foods, usually something like cheese sticks, pieces of carrot, pepper and cucumber, naan or pitta bread) and usually a pureed fruit or other pud

3pm drink of water or diluted juice with baby snack, like soft rusks, the Organix rice cakes, finger foods or biscuits

5pm tea which is usually a spoon fed meal either a version of what we will be eating, a puree or yoghurt and fruit; this is her smallest meal of the day

6-6.30pm bedtime bottle

She has water or diluted juice with her meals.

Sorry for the essay and I hope this helps

Em xx
  • Thanks Em

Did your lo stop wanting the milk or did your gradually reduce them?

When you give water/juice is it from a sippy cup or bottle ad what kind of juice do you use?

Annette
  • Hi Annette,

I dropped the dreamfeed as when she had a bad cold, she was off her milk a bit and finding it hard to sleep, so I just left her once she slept and didn't offer it again. As regards the other, Grace was taking less at her feeds like your lo, so I just tried dropping the 3pm one.

I sometimes offer a sippy cup but with her afternoon snack I always offer the bottle still as she won't drink enough otherwise!

She has pure 'adult' juice (apple) diluted with water and also has the Hipp and Cow and Gate juices

Em x
  • Hiya, I just dropped the dreamfeed last weekend, just cut it out one night to see what happened and she has just continued sleeping through. It is advised that you give baby 18-20 oz until a year old. I was a bit worried as I wasn't meeting this at first but have found that she is getting steadily hungrier and is now taking enough in her 4 day feeds (I think I have a similar feeding routine to you) x
  • Hi,

Harry's been on 3 bottle a day since the end of january, morning, mid afternoon and bedtime, 7oz btls.

He's been having really bad reflux/possetting after his mid afternoon bottle so spoke to hv about this, as he is still on stage 1 milk not follow on. As I wondered if changing his milk would help.

HV (who I have had probs with in the past) has been really good and she has spoken to peads etc and they don't recommend moving on to follow on milk till babys 12 months as if baby is getting 3 meals a day on a balanced diet they are getting iron and vits that they require. Despite Aptamil saying he should be on follow on. As first milk is as close to breast milk as you can get they advise to keep feeding as long as possible.

I've also been advised to drop harrys mid pm bottle as recommended intake by peadetricians (apologies for spelling) is 15 - 20 oz and this should take into account milk used for cereals etc.

This week we have just had our morning and night bottle of 7 oz and a small feed during the night 3 oz. and 3 oz for porridge. and the sickness has stopped!!!!! I've now got a much happier little boy.

I give the sippy cup at regular intervals throughout the day, I did initially give his mid pm bottle in a bottle to cup trainer.

Hope this helps

Diana
  • Thanks for the replies I have today dropped the mid morning feed and it hasn't bothered him, he took a coulpe oz more on his afternoon feed which was good. He does have a varied diet with lots of yog and cheese in so i'm sure he's getting his nutriants I think i'll drop the dreamfeed next week when we have settled into missing this bottle.

Thanks for the replies x