Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

weaning???

I saw a thread in baby about weaning but was so judgemental, I thought I'd post a new thread over here in the safety of our own forum! Wow there's some people on that forum who take no prisoners so dont think I'll stray over there after dark! lol

I have made the VERY controversial decision to start Jack on some baby rice. While I may need to pick some jaws up off the floor, I feel it's the right thing for him. I was really hoping to wait until he was at LEAST 4 months but have given in. My mam and MIL have been saying for weeks that he's having too much milk and needs something else but I wouldn't have it. This last week he's draining 8oz bottles and has gone from sleeping 7 hours at night, to back to his 2-4hours day and night. He's been displaying all the signs that Brad was at 4 months when he was ready. Apart from the advice to wait until 6 months, I really wanted to keep Jack as late as possible as it's much easier when they're just on bottles and wanted to keep my little lad as newborn as I could!

Tried him on sat afternoon and he pulled a face at first and then thought it was funny. Gave him another bit and he sucked it from the spoon. Took it slowly and he only had about 5 spoonfuls but we're just practicing for now. Gave him about the same yesterday afternoon and will continue once a day with just rice until he's ready to try something else like porridge.

I know there is current advice telling us to wait until 6 months as there is a risk of digestive problems, obestiy and allergies but years ago, everyone weaned at 3 months and obesity and allergies were unheard of. I was weaned at 3 months as were probaby most of us and it never did me any harm.

Feel free to offer advice or comments as I know it is a very controversial decision and goes completely against the grain but I feel that it's best to let baby decide rather than by age. Also, Jack was 14lb 3oz last over a week ago, which was bigger than my first son was at 7 months!

Kirsty x

Replies

• Hiya Kirsty,

If you feel that Jack is ready then I say go for it! Every baby is an individual and will reach different stages at different times than others. One of our friends is a midwife and she started her baby on baby rice in addition to his milk as he was ravenous. It did him no harm at all.

I think a lot of todays 'rules' are there as a precaution because maybe a study showed that 1 baby out of a million had detrimental effects after being weaned too soon. Bit of an exaggeration but you get my point??
    I've found that you get soooo many conflicting pieces of advice that I've just done what I've felt is right. For example with bottlefeeding. Some people say not to make up feeds and store them in the fridge yet some people still do this and their babies are fine. Written advice on making up feeds says to use boiled water that has cooled to no less than 70 degrees c so that it kills the bacteria in the milk powder yet I know that a lot of people don't do this, myself included! I started off using hot water and then cooling it but for the time it took to cool (even when stood in ice cubes) Alfie would get himself so worked up that I now use water that has been boiled but cooled to a warm temperature which is cool enough to drink (therefore below 70 degrees) and keep this in a Thermos for use throughout the day.

There are no hard & fast rules as such and books only offer guidance. Like you mention about the 'olden days', kids weren't half as sickly as they are nowadays. Yes there are different diseases etc about now but personally I think as a nation we are too clean. As soon as Alfie is old enough he shall be going out playing in the dirt and no doubt eating worms or some other manky bugs he he! People may disagree but this is only my own opinion. Like yourself though I shan't be posting this opinion in baby or anywhere else, I shall keep to the confines of August! He he.

Good luck with the baby rice, you'll have to let us know how you get on. I also intend to probably wean Alfie earlier than 6 months but for the time being he is happy with just milk. I'm sure he'll tell me when he's not!

Shell & Alfie xx

[Modified by: floss78 on November 09, 2009 02:26 PM]

• Thanks for the support Shell. I like the way you refer to the 'olden days' when we were little. ha ha! I also agree that sometimes, the 'medical research' is very precautionary and as a nation we are 'too' clean and too 'governed'. We are told what to do by complete strangers rather than be encouraged to use our own common sense and family advice.

I also agree that you should wait until your baby is ready and would never force slop down them early if they're not but if they are - why hold them back.

It will be intersting to see over the next few months the different stages that our babies go through. Brad was quick at talking, but didn't walk until he was 16 months so they all do things at different stages.

I actually felt there was a slightly hostile feel to the conversation over in baby and 'our' fiona also got a little bit of it for mentioning baby rice and petit filous! Think I'll be staying over here too where it's safe!

K x
  • Olden days.... showing my age aren't I? ha ha.

Just had my health visitor round discussing weaning for future reference. She said that each baby is an individual and that the 6 month marker is just for guidance but she did say to TRY and hold out until 16weeks. From that I conclude it's preferable to wait until 16wks but it can be done earlier. :\)
    She gave me a leaflet, let me quote:

"HOW DO I KNOW MY BABY IS READY?"
    *Is your baby finishing feeds & still seems hungry?
    * Is your baby not lasting between feeds and wanting extra feeds?
    * Is your baby waking in the night to be fed, after previously sleeping through?

If any of these are happening then your bab might be ready for weaning.

There you go. Baby rice gets the green light me thinks. If you are a little apprehensive maybe give your helath visitor a quick tinkle, see what she says?

Shell & Alfie
    xx

[Modified by: floss78 on November 09, 2009 04:42 PM]

• I think its a really personal thing but if you feel he'd ready then go for it.

Im going to really try and wait until six months if I can as I want to follow the guidelines if I can and James seems ok with milk although he has alot of it, he is on 8oz bottles now!

He is also big, and weighed 14lbs 5oz three weeks ago when he was only 9 weeks, but was big when born so was king of expecting him to remain big - or chunky as I like to call it!

Let us know how you get on, my daughter is 11 so weaning her was a loooooong time ago and really cant remember much of what Im meant to do!! xx
  • Thanks for the checklist Shell and I can honestly say yes to all 3! Jack seemed settled for a couple of weeks when I changed him onto the hungry baby milk and thought we'd cracked it as he started to sleep 7 hours and wasn't seeking for more bottle once it was finished but the last few nights he's been up twice and the dummy just wont do and makes him more upset. Often after an 8oz bottle, he cries for more and nothing will console him. We often open a carton of ready made milk as a last resort and he often drinks another couple of ounces! He never sicks any up either so that's probably why he's so chunky as he's keeping all the calories to himself! lol

I must admit though, baby rice hasn't worked yet as after his bath last night, he was still fed at 20:00 23:50, 04:30 and 07:45.... oh dear!

He's only having small amounts so probably wont have much effect but he's doing really well and smacks his lips when he's eating it which is soooo cute! He's also had no probs in the poo or sick dept so far so good....

Jem, my son is 12 so I had to read up again as it seemed like soooo long ago. The recommended age when he was a baby was 3 months for baby rice etc and 4 months for jars but it's all changed now. As I said I was going to try and wait because it's more work but he's crying after bottles and I'm embarassed to say he's had almost 3x 8oz bottles in one night on a number of occasions... Baby rice is dead easy. Mix one spoon of baby rice in a bowl with 10 spoons of his regular baby milk and I make it sloppy so he is just getting small grains and he loves it!

HV didnt want me to put him on hungry baby milk never mind wean so will keep it to myself I think! I'll keep you informed how he gets on.

K x
  • I was speaking to my friend last night and her baby is 16 weeks and she has started giving her baby cereal as she was taking so much milk, that might be worth giving a go as it could be more filling than baby rice? xx
  • Hi I'm glad you posted this, the post in baby was not nice.

Reuben is 12 weeks on Thurs he isn't ready for weaning but I want to get myself prepared and armed for info for when he is.

He was a big boy when born he was 10lb10.... ouch... He isn't sleeping through the night yet and feeds regulary so I was thinking of swapping onto hungry baby milk to see if that helps.

Hope the weaning goes ok xxxx

[Modified by: #annette# on November 10, 2009 08:47 AM]

• I'm going to wait longer with Isla but with James he started on baby rice about 4 months as he was another big boy! I used to bf him then he would drain a bottle of aptamil hungry baby! And want more!

He took to it very well and although it didn't make him sleep through he was content!

He's still a hungry man at 2- just had 2 shredded wheat before he went to nursery!

I really believe a mummy knows best for their baby x
  • I am planning on doing baby led weaning where Bertie will be put food in front of him and will hopefully start eating more an more when he is ready. The problem is Bertie is so hungry! He is 13 wks and has started eating every two hours during the day and finishing his bottle and started to sleep through but now is waking up twice in the night again.

I was speaking to someone in the Health Centre the day before yesterday who said that they put some baby rice in their babies bottle. I tried this the night before last and yesterday Bertie screamed all day. he was constipated and his tummy actually felt swollen. I felt so bad as it was me who caused his pain by messing with his milk. I wont be doing it again until Bertie tells me he is ready but I dont condone anyone who starts their baby earlier as every baby is different. Bertie obviously hasnt got a mature digestive system and he was unhappy that I dont mind if he feeds every two hours until he is six months old lol

Good luck with the weaning guys

Gxx
  • I was thinking of this the other day. At 16 weeks with Eilidh I had started giving her some baby rice she was a hungry baby but so far with Lucy I've not needed too, she seems to be pretty happy with what she is getting, however, if I feel she needs something else I will start to give her food.

My mum started giving me food at 12 weeks (which was the guidelines all those years ago) and I am totally fine.

I havent seen the post over in baby but might take a little peak over there to see whats been said, but I know what you mean Kirsty there are some people who there that will jump on you if you say the wrong thing.

xx
  • Georgie was it a health visitor who said to put rice in his bottle? My mam said they used to put something called farex in ours when we were little but it's supposed to cause tummy cramps so people stopped it. It mustn't have agreed with Bertie but at least you tried it and know it doesn't suit him. Just shows it must suit some babies and not others. I was told that the tummy cramps in some babies is something to do with the difference between swallowing in a bottle to actually eating it from a spoon. Like you say, may be best to wait until he's ready and I'm sure he'll tell you when he is! I wanted to try baby led weaning but Jack had other ideas! ha ha

Good luck with the hungry baby milk annette. Jack was a lot more settled for a few weeks and I know Georgie uses it too. I was told to watch for constipation but it has actually made Jack more regular as before he'd struggle to do one a day. Now he quite easily manages 3 comfortably.

Jem - my friend gives her little one porridge but it is thicker so think I'll keep him for another few weeks on the rice then try that - thanks for the tip

Anna - sounds like Jack is a hungry boy like James is! My mam keeps saying she's going to give him pork chops! lol

AnneMarie - Good that Lucy is waiting cos it's soooo much easier when they're just on bottles! Much less mess and fuss. My mam weaned me at 12 weeks and I'm fine too. There's been more allergies and digestive problems in kids over the last few years than there has ever been and the age was lengthened!

I also agree that every baby is different and as mothers, we know when they're ready...

ps Jack slept for 8 hours last night and woke up full of smiles this morning...hooray! x
  • It was not the health visitor it was a lady I was talking to in the waiting room, her baby boy is two weeks younger than Bertie and has been having rice in his bottle for weeks. I thought id give it a try to see if Bertie could go a little longer than two hours between feeds during the day and afternoon but no luck. Saying that he didnt eat for seven hours yesterday but he was definately in pain.

Xx
  • Georgie

My friend asked the hv about putting rice in her babies bottle as he is a very hungry 4 month old but was told not to as it can cause dehydration as the milk is soaked up so maybe that is why Bertie was uncomfortable?

Anna x
  • Georgie- just noticed Bertie is 13 weeks, babies have a big growth spurt at 3 months, it's quite possible it will pass in a week and Bertie will go back to feeding as normal.

George is 13 weeks too and is having his now. He's nowhere near ready for food and I'm hoping to hold out until 6 months in order to inteoduce BLW.

Claire x x
  • Just an update on Jack.... he's doing really well with his weaning and have introduced banana porridge as an alternative to baby rice. I alternate daily although still only give him it once per day (usually lunch time) as his tummy is still so small. Confessed to HV and she agreed that 64oz of milk per day was doing him no good at all and once he reached the 91st centile we needed to do something! He is only 24inches so is quite small and cant cope with all the calories so thanks to the baby rice, he's cut down to 5-6 8oz bottles and sleeps all night!

Kirsty xxx
  • Well as you know Kirsty (from text) I too have started Lucy on food. She started wakening up through the night.

I started on the baby rice but yesterday I bought some porridge and banana porridge as I think she is getting sick of the rice.

I too also give it to her at lunch time (well her 3pm) feed.

She is loving it, when its finished she gets angry and wants more!

xx

• kirsty and annem: how much baby rice r u giving lo's. taylor is having baby rice once a day too but im not really sure how much to give her. she is a hungry girl too but dont want to over do it!

k xx
  • my goodness, Lily only has 6oz bottles, ive tried giving her 7oz just since yesterday in the hope she would drink it and sleep through, no such luck! lol she's busting at the seams at 6 - 61/2 oz bless her lol
    xx
  • my goodness, Lily only has 6oz bottles, ive tried giving her 7oz just since yesterday in the hope she would drink it and sleep through, no such luck! lol she's busting at the seams at 6 - 61/2 oz bless her lol
    xx