Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Smacking!?!

Hi ladies

just a quick one? Does any of your lo's smack you? J is always doing it, especially when excited or brassed off. I'm worried that he will do it when he goes to nursery. This weekend he smacked my brother in laws new 5 week old nephew in the face! I say no and pull his hands away but most of the time he just laughs. What else can I do?

Any advice welcome x

Replies

• hey hun,
    cailey had her first tantrum last night, her daddy was lifting her out the bath and she swung for his face.... she then kept trying to hit him til he put her on her changing mat! she was really annoyed cos she had to come out the bath!
    then again today her 4 yr old cousin wouldnt giev her the toy she wanted so she smacked her in the face with her cup!
    i am still in shock!
    i tell her no and to be gentle! it also really worries me that she is gonna grow into a little menace! she's already to heavy for me to hold onto her when she's having a tantrum never mind if shes tryint to hit at me!

im really hoping its just a phase!
    xxx
  • We don't have this problem but Roisin definitely has diva-like strops! She'll clench her fists and scream, or if you're holding her she'll go stiff as a board and strtch her arms out to try and make you put her on the floor, the little madam! Just remember that they are still really beyond the age of reason and negotiation, and from reading on here many mummies seem to say that distraction is the best tool at this age.

Good luck x
  • James does this!! At first I thought he didnt know what he was doing but now Im sure he does, every time he does it now I say no very firmly and that seems to have done the trick - unless he is feeling particulary stroppy and in those cases I hold his arm until he stops! xx