Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Tips for introducing dummy?

My baby girl is 9 weeks on tuesday. She is soley breast fed.

She is a very 'sucky' baby and constantly wants to use me as a dummy. This is becoming a 'timely' situation.

I have given her a dummy (funny as I said I never would haha)...but she spits it out and laughs at me. How can I persuade her to suck it??

xxx

Replies

• Hi! I too have a v sucky baby - always rooting even when not hungry and often got agitated - even the hv suggested a dummy to calm her down- the effect is wonderful, can't praise them highly enough! Bebe won't understand what it's for at first, Roisin used to gag a bit! I introduced one at 2 weeks against the guidelines and I guess the earlier the better but she'll get the hang of it. My Mum helped me to introduce it - she'd gently place a finger on the outside of the dummy to hold it in place until my baba cottoned on. Good luck!

Helen x
  • My little one was also a sucky baby but once he found his hands he now sucks them. I tried a dummy but he spat it out repeatedly as if you say "who you trying to kid"

K x x x
  • taylor used to gag a lot at so many of the dummies out there!! how about trying a small teet? i think u can get ones from boots that suit up to 2months. she is 13 weeks but still lovves her dummy. just a suggestion though x
  • Lily is like this too, and if I have a weak moment - or a lazy day, we can spend many an hour with her just comfort sucking! She is 12 weeks today and has got a lot better, she found her hands a couple of weeks ago, and I must admit I am happier that they settle her rather than a dummy - though it wasnt for the want of trying a dummy!! I said I wasnt going to let her have a dummy but because of this problem I had tried her with one from a few weeks old, but am glad she didnt take it really. Apparently, I wouldnt have a dummy either! lol !!

Lisa & Lily xx
  • Roisin mainly uses her dummy in the evening, when she's tired and cranky. It is really effective for her and I guess as long as you use it intelligently it's not a problem. Like the other girls have said, Roisin too has discovered her fists and does sometimes use them to self-soothe now instead which is great, so having a dummy doesn't stop them from doing this x

Helen