Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cow & Gate Comfort?

Hi ladies

Is anyone using cow & gate comfort for newborns? Lily really struggles with her tummy ache when filling her nappy and have been advised maybe to try this milk. We bought some yesterday made it up ready to feed her only to find that it wouldnt come out the teat!! lol she uses avent bottles and is on a number 2 teat. Also, i usually make all my bottles up with water each morning and just add formula as we go at room temp. Can i do this with comfort or if not how do i use it?? Im a bit confused

Thanks
Newlook and Lily 5 weeks & 1 day x

Replies

• We were using this a few weeks back (Caitlin has since been diagnosed with reflux so is using gaviscon with Aptamil as with the Comfort it was too heavy for her.

We found that we actually had to use fast flow teats in order to get a good flow. They also suggest you might want to use variflow teats.

As for making it up you need to make it up with boiled water that has been left NO LONGER than 15 minutes as the starch particles need to be broken down and it needs a high heat to do this.

HTH - if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Love and hugs
    Clare & Caitlin
    9 weeks 4 days
  • Hi newlook. Poor little Lily. Hope the comfort works for her. As Claire said if you leave the water for more than 30 mins, it wont mix the milk properly and will get lumps in and block the teat. It needs to still be canny hot to mix. I do my bottles the old fashioned way by making them up in advance but the health visitor would tell me off (if I told her!) so I'm not advising anyone to do this, just letting you know what I do...

- Boil the kettle and dont leave it for more than 30 mins or it wont be hot enough to mix

- put in the powder and shake for 10 seconds.

- Replace the tops and stand the bottles in a dish of cold water.

- Once cold, shake them again

- Put in the fridge but use within 24 hours.

- When needed, boil the kettle, stand the bottle in a jug of boiling water until luke warm/ room temp,

I did this with Brad and my mam did it with me but got wrong off the health visitor who said I should make each one up on demand. (yeah right at 3am when Jack's screaming his head off!)

If you want to add powder to them and make them up on demand, you can put the boiling water in a flask so it stays hot enough to mix when you need it.

Hope this helps as the whole process is mega confusing isn't it? At least boobs are ready on demand! lol Good luck hun and let us know the milk works...

Kirsty & Jack

7 weeks today xxx
  • Hi ladies

Right well today is the first day ive tried this milk as just cant get my head round how it will work. I have managed to make 1 feed this morning bcoz i new she was due a feed so made up the bottle and had time to cool it down ready for her. But what do i do if im out and about or in town say or during the night?? I know i can take a flask of hot water with me and make them as i go but then have to give it time to cool while she's screming???? surely not lol
    Don't know how to do it really but ive got too gove it her go, her poor tummy gives her some terrible pain its awful image
  • Know what you mean about cooling them down. I find it too hard work and much quicker to re-heat than cool down so that's what I do. I'm afraid I cheat when I'm out and use the cow and gate ready mixed cartons that are ready to feed with no heating. Through the night I use them too although sometimes do have my bottles in the fridge and re-heat it in a jug of hot water. It takes too long for Jack to wait to cool the bloody thing down...lol

I'm not sure if cow & gate do the comfort milk ready mixed? Wonder what everyone else does when they're out and about?

May be worth asking the health visitor as she's bound to have dealt with loads of babies with sensitive tummies. Could you combine the comfort milk in the house and the 1st cow and gate cartons when you're out and about?

Hope you get something sorted hun. Let us know how she gets on...

K x
  • Cow and Gate comfort worked WONDERS for my little one... I switched when she was only 3 weeks, and she was a happy baby! Before I tried Dr Brown's bottles, Colief, Infacol and Dentinox!! Now she is 3 month and a half and she is back to Aptalmil one. She is putting on weight beautifully since birth... give it a try!! Good Luck!!