Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

dummies/pacifiers

hi girls
is everyone using a dummy with their baby?

riley doesn't have one and is easily soothed when put to the breast which he uses as a dummy in those situations. just wondering what people's views on them are...

joand riley
xxxxx

Replies

• I have one for Lucy, she doesnt get it all the time, only before a feed when she is waiting on it being heated up and sometimes through the nigt if she wakes up.

I had one for Eilidh too, she loved her dummy. She only got it at night time and if we where going out in the car.
    I thought it would be really hard taking it off her but it was no bother at all, she never cried for it or asked for it once. I took her too the dentist and aske him to tell her she wasnt allowed it anymore that it was bad for her teeth and that was the end of the dummy.

I personally dont think there is anything wrong with them but everyone will have a different view on it.

xxx
  • Jack got on in the hospital the night he was born...Babies need to be soothed and you need to be careful that he doesn't start using you as a dummy or you will be really tied! He has it in his car seat and to settle in his pram but spits it put in disgust when he wants fed...ha ha.

I dont think there's anything wrong as long as you can get them off it early enough. Brad got rid if nis own before he was 1 so was lucky!

Kirsty xxx
  • Alfie has a dummy but it isn't often we use it. He has it sometimes just before a feed to keep him pacified whilst waiting for the milk to cool and occasionally he has it when we're out shopping in the supermarket to keep him quiet!

Shell
  • havent needed to use one - which i am happy about. Bebe tends to find comfort on the breast aswell xx
  • I gave Ella the dummy when I started bottle feeding the day after she was born. It helped settle her and wait for a feed. She used it at night for about a month and then she went off it. I offered it a few times before giving up as she was just spitting it out. She hasnt had it since, shes 11 weeks tomoro. I have no problem with them at all, Felicity had one at night until she was 2 xx
  • Joe hasn't needed one and settles at the breast which is lovely. I have one in my just in case cupboard with 1 carton of formula milk and a bottle!
  • thanks girls nice to see everyones views on it.

by looking at the answers it seems breast fed babies are more contented not to have one, interesting.
    i have got a dummy given to me at my baby shower but riley doesn't like it. he also doesn't like bottles, i have to express one day a week when i go to college for 3 hours and my nana looks after him but she struggles to feed him and when i get home he is always ready for a feed even tho the milk is the same and being offered......just think he's a boob man hehe

jo
    xxxxx
  • My first was bottlefed and loved his dummy. Orla however is breastfed and hates the dummy! She literally gags if I offer it to her. She will suck the end of my little finger (washed of course) quite happily.
    I have no problem with dummies, if they are used correctly. I might get shot down for this but I can't stand to see older children with dummies, especially when they talk with it hanging out their mouths.

Cat xxx
  • Harrison has one - he was so sick early on and would get so upset that it really helped sooth him.
    He sometimes has it if he is over tired and fighting the need to sleep!!

If baby is breastfed you can get the tommy tippee ones that are more natural in shape I've been told - as Harrison hated them (he is bottle fed).

I agree with you cat about older children and plan to withdraw his as early as possible.

xxx
  • Isla won't go near a dummy.

James loved his and even though he was bf was used it alot as a comfort! Only used it at night later on but handed it back one night and never used it again!

• Roxy doesn't yet have one but thats not from lack of trying. I personally think dummys are great and much better than babies using their mother as a dummy or their thumb! At least you can take it away! But its whatevers best for you.
    Roxy is now using the bottle a a dummy so i think she's hungry and make up a full bottle but she just takes a few sucks and falls asleep! I'm gonna kee trying the dummy x