Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Tongue tie - important please read!!!

Hi all, not sure if any of you have heard of tongue tie but it is worth checking if your little one may have it. Apparently it is very common, Ruby was diagnosed at 3 weeks, she had been feeding loads every 1-2 hrs (thought she was hungry baby), had really bad wind and my nips were sore (thought this was due to frequency of her feeding). I had a visit from a breast feeding counsellor as was really struggling with the frequency and pain of her feeds, she observed us feeding then looked in Rubys mouth and discovered her tongue tie. The stringy bit under her tongue that connects to bottom of her mouth was too far forward. This meant she couldnt lift her tongue so couldnt latch or form a seal!! Within 3 days we were seen at the hospital and they cut the tie! Eeeeek!! Didnt bother Ruby having it done -- just me that was a wreck!!! Since then her feeding is so different, less frequent, less wind and better nips!!!!!!!! Yipppeee!!
Would advise anyone with these probs to get MW or HV to ckeck, Dr did check in her mouth in hospital but obviously missed it.
Lisa & Ruby - 3 wks, 6 days xxx

Replies

• Gosh hun, thanks for posting this, glad all is now well with your feeding. xxxx
  • Oh good pleased it got picked up and you can carry on with bf. I had heard about this via a friend, such a simple thing that can cause a lot of feeding problems.

Pleased your little one is all ok now!

Rach xxx