Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Ella has chicken pox :(

On monday I noticed 2 fluid filled spots on Ella's head, later that day I noticed a few on her back and chest too. Yesterday she was getting more and more by the hour so I called the doctor who confirmed chicken pox.
Ella was up at 4 this morning still tired but so itchy. She keeps rubbing her head on anything near her.
Felicity hasnt even had them yet and she's 4!

Anyones child had them? Is there anything I can do to soothe her?

Fiona & Ella, 8 months xXx

Replies

• Options
    Ah big hugs to Ella, the poor thing. Orla and Hayden (and hubby!) got them over Christmas, so she was only 4 months old. The blisters on her head were the only ones to bother her. I just used Calamine lotion liberally and put bicarb of soda in their baths to help dry out the blisters which really helped. At night time try to keep her hands covered with mittens or socks to stop her scratching in the night.

Cat xxx
  • Options
    I'm all itchy now!
    Poor Ella. I was going to say was same as Mummy Cat about calamine lotion. Do they do a baby anti-histamine to help with the itching? Baby piriton or something?
    I imagine there's a good chance Felicity will catch it too but it is better that they have chicken pox younger rather than older (adult).

Shell xx
  • Options
    Thanks I might have to buy some of that lotion then alhough Im not sure whether I should take her out? xx
  • Options
    Hi same tips as what floss and mummy cat said, my friends little girl and my nephew have both just had chicken pox x
  • Options
    Hey don't know whether Piriton is useful or not for chicken pox, but Roisin had an allergic reaction a while back and was totally covered in a rash. The doc actually prescribed Piriton (even though it says on the box not for children under 1) - he said in such cases it could be taken in a half dose (2.5ml). I also used loads of calamine on her. Hope they go soon x
  • Options
    Oh poor mite, I remember having chicken pox when i was little, mainly because I had to stay at home and so mum bought me some roller skates (those ones that you strapped to your shoes and were lethal!) I think I was more injured by the roller skates than bothered by the chicken pox. But I do know I wasn't supposed to mix with anyone as it's highly contagious. I'm sure you can take her out, but perhaps not to baby groups etc unless the mums there are ok with it. Hope she's feeling much less itchy soon xxx
  • Options
    Oh no poor Ella - hope the nasty itchiness goes soon xxx
  • Options
    Hi,

Not to scare you or anything but keep a close eye on her and if she gets any cold like symptoms get her back to the GP asap. My eldest had chicken pox at 3 and got the blisters etc in his mouth, he also got cold like symptoms took him to the gp and it turned out he had pneumonia as well. aparently its caused by blisters on the lungs. It is quite rare but I thought you should know. Again don't mean to panic, hope she is feeling better soon.

Diana
  • Options
    hi, gatecrashing from may forum but just wanted to say that chickenpox is still contagious to others until the spots have crusted over. Hope she is feeling better soon xx
  • Options
    hi all Ella is much better now, the blisters have scabbed over and arent itchy a far as I can tell. Had a horrible couple of days but she had absolutely no cold or fever symptoms thankfully.
    Doesnt look nice though, cant wait for them to completly disappear! xx
  • Options
    Glad shes on the mend x
  • Options
    Aww poor Ella none of mine have had it yet, i want them to though just to get it out of the way and also its so much better for them to get these things younger when the symptoms seem to be less servere and you can control the itching to an extent. Get well wishes to Ella.
    Jo xx
  • Options
    Aww I havent been on for a while..... I hope Ella has made a speedy recovery!
    I think the same as others often its better for kids to have these things younger.

xxx