Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Gutted my chances of breast feeding got ruined!

Hi ladies, I'm really gutted I couldn't breast feed Olivia. I feel really guilty about it.
I started breast feeding her in hospital but because we were in for a week because of her jaundice levels the consultant decided that she should be formula fed every 3 hours (3 oz) because she had to stay on the UV sunbed as long as possible and they just weren't sure how much she was having when I was breast feeding her and she had a urate in her nappy one day which meant she wasn't getting enough milk at all. I carried on expressing and did try to breast feed her again when we were discharged but because she'd had the bottle in hospital she had nipple/teat confusion and was just getting frustrated.

She is 4 weeks old now and I have been bottle feeding her formula and expressing twice a day and giving it to her, but my milk supply is gradually decreasing and I just feel so bad that I didn't get a real chance to give it a go. I really enjoyed it and truly believe if she hadn't have been poorly and i could have come home straight away i would have still been doing it now.

On the other hand she is putting on lots of weight and seems happy enough. She is a real hungry baby and to be honest i probably wouldn't have been able to satisfy her needs anyway. She is taking bewtween 5-6oz now every 4-5 hours and sleeps, hardly cries and is as good as gold to be honest.

I just had to get it off my chest as i see alot of you are breast feeding and i'm so jealous and feel a bit sad

Jen and olivia xxxxx

Replies

• Oh sweetie your post made me want to cry - i hate to think of anyone feeling down or upset when they have a new baby it should be such a happy time. Don't feel guilty your daughter is obviously very healthy and content - and that is main thing -although i 'm breatfeeding i don't think that by doing it i'm being a better mother than someone who isn't - you shouldn't be feeling guilty, you had unfortunate circumstances to begin with that impeded you being able to establish proper milk production what is important is that you are a happy mummy. You daughter is thriving and that should be a credit to you regardless of how she is being fed.
    Big hugs to you
    Jo xxxxxxxxx
  • Oh what a shame they didn't let you express more and tube feed her that way. if she had really bad jaundice though, better she was treated for that and given forumla to help strengthen her, rather than her get ill from the jaundice.

Could you try and express more - theory being, the more demand there is, the more supply you get?

Sounds like you did manage to bf the first few days - that's the most important time anyway, giving the colostrum and doing the initial lining of the stomach.

If she is happy and healthy chuck I wouldn't worry! image

Rach xxx