Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

GCSE's? Distance Learning?

Has anyone done anything like this? Especially if you have had to do it while working a full time job, looknig after a baby and running a house!

The uni I want to do Midwifery at needs me to have some recent study within 3 years, with written assessment. I have found a distance learning GCSE in Sociology which looks interesting and costs ??295. It is 2 exams and no coursework (would rather do coursework!) so would have to find an exam centre and everything, but not too worried about that

Do you think I would ever find the time to study??! xx

Replies

• Hi Kimmy, totally gatecrahing here, I'm going back to uni in september and I haven't studied in sooo long, so I did this distance learning course-
    http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/index.php
    I'm coming to the end of the course now. I will get 60 credits at the end of it, which most universities ask for.
    Good luck xx
  • Thanks Nic. How did you find the course? Did you find you had time to fit it in around other stuff?

What are you going to be doing at uni? x
  • It's a good course for people who haven't got time to go to college, and who've got kids. I've got 2 kids, and I work so would never have been able to fit in going to college.
    I do my work when the kids are in bed, and I get as much as 4-5 hours of work done every night, but that's only because I'm rushing to finish the course! I'm doing the access to nursing course, as I've got a place at uni in september for the nursing degree. I did start it before, did 2 and a half years of it, but left to have my eldest. Stupid me never went back to finish it, so I've got to start the whole course again because it was more than 5 years ago that I started it the first place! I'm really looking forward to september though!!
    They do an access to midwifery course too, it's basically the same work that I'm doing, the certificate at the end just says something different. I've made a lot of new 'facebook friends' with girls doing the access to midwifery, who are going to uni in september too. God, I sound like a walking advertisement for the dlc access course!! if you wanna know anything else, this is me on FB-

I'm on there a lot more than I'm on here!!!

[Modified by: NicPink on April 22, 2010 07:49 PM]

[Modified by: NicPink on April 22, 2010 07:51 PM]

[Modified by: NicPink on April 27, 2010 08:51 PM]

• Hiya sorry to gatecrash!saw it on the homepage. But thankyou!! this course is perfect, as i wanna do this but were also gonna start ttc soon, so it will be a whole lot easier doing this than sitting in a formal classroom just in case!
    sarah x
  • This looks really good, im hoping to study nursing also.
    Because of where I live its really difficult to get to uni, so the more I can do at home the better.
    Is distance learning for the whole of the UK? As Im in scotland and hav ebeen looking at some courses with the open university.
    Kimmy just now I am studying a certificate in medicines as well as working and all the rest and Im finding it tiring, but i think it will all be worth it in the end!
    xxxx
  • Hiya,
    Can't offer any advice on courses and stuff, but just wanted to say - go for it! I have been reading your other posts about Midwifery etc, and go for it Kimmy, you will fit it all in hun, your a woman!!!
    Lisa xx
  • Thanks everyone- I think I will book the GCSE this month to give me a load of time before taking the exams next summer. Then I guess next year I can apply for September 2012

Where on earth am I going to fit having another baby in?!

Sweet as Sugar yes I think you can pretty much do it anywhere- you just need to find an exam centre to go to at the end. Shame there isn't distance learning on the Midwifery degree!!!

I'm kind of glad that I don't need to do the Access course, because all i can find is part time but day time, and I work full time! I have the qualifications I need for the unis I will apply to thank god, just not the recent study within 3 years. I did look at doing the part time degree but it's very rare- the nearest to me is Herts, but I need a science A-Level at B grade or I would have to do the Access course

xx