Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO Bets

Hello my dear,

I know you're in the full swing of planning Issy's 1st birthday and have some fab ideas that I'm likely to steal (sorry) but i need your help!!

Obviously Harrison has a dairy allergy. I've tried making a few dairy free birthday cakes but I'm a crap baker and they taste rank!! So I bought a couple of dairy free sponges from asda, tesco, and sainsburys to try and they're fine. So my question is how the hell do I ice them? Where do i get the stuff I need from and make it look decent?
Its only a small size spong cake just for him really - everyone else is having chocolate cake but I want him to have a special cake and its driving me mad!!
I went to our local cake shop and they said they cant make me one for fear of cross contamination!! And said they'd charge me ??25 to decorate a small cake - I feel this is a rip off? What do you think?

Cheers.

Lisa xxx

Replies

• Hey hun, steal away!

I am going to try and put an image of Isabelle's birthday inveites on facebook, our ladybug theme has morphed into a garden bug ball for the babies!

I am not bothering with adult food for later as there could be 70 there, so I am just making 4 big cakes and decorating them all the same.

I would get a book out of the library and pick a theme you want to go with, perhaps even cut the sponge into shapes so you can make a built cak if you are feeling really adventurous, ??25 sounds vey steep just to decorate when you can do the job yourself with a couple of cutters, ready to roll icing and some food colouring!

How about cutting Harrison's name out with letters and standing these in a cake you have topped with soya buttercream (soya spead makes this thinner so just omit the tbs milk and do 200g marg to 500g icing sugar)

If you have a hobbycraft near you they sell all sorts for doing cakes now, I have bought playdough cutters to do the shapes for Isabelle's as they are miles cheaper! You could do a H cut out from the base cake, then cover in buttercream couloured pale blue then cut a red car of two from ready to roll icing ( ELC do softdough stamps, mine are from the range) and ice white lines to make it look like a road.

Modelling paste can be bought form cake suppliers, and its just like fimo if you wanted to build something in icing that you can keep, but it is a bit more tricky and you need to be a bit creative to play with it!

If you stamped a shape out you could then do extra and stick them on the cake for everyone else too so that they all match!

Or, what about cutting the cake into a rocket shape ( really a triangle with the curve of round cake as the bottom and stick back on the bits you have cut off the other way round as fins) and then spreading with different colored icings *(asdas own is natural food colouring) just layer it and wait for each bit to dry then use writing icing to put details on.

Final brainwave, (and probably the best!) make 2 swiss rolls ;
    3 eggs 100g caster sugar and 75g self raising flour for each.
    Roll 1 the long way and one the short way with jam and soyacream and slice, then arrange to make a classic catterpillar cake, cover with the dairy free nut free gluten free chocolate and the decorate with kinnerton choclate beans (again dairy free!) for a classic cake that everyone can have and you will have made from scratch. They sell the stuff in my asda so if you cant get hold of any I will go and then get it to you!

Bets XxX
  • Swiss roll recipe:

3 eggs
    100g caster sugar
    75g self raising flour
    extra tbs caster sugar for rolling
    3 tbs jam (pref seedless)
    50gsoya marg
    100g icing sugar

Oven 160 c or gas 4/5

whisk the eggs with the caster sugar with an electric whisk for around 5 mins until doubled in size, thick and creamy.

Sieve in the flour and fold in gently with figures of 8.

Pour into swiss roll tin (normally 8 x 12 inches) that is lined with baking parchment or greasproof paper.

Bake for 8-10 mins until just springy, almost like omelette, you want the eggs to be just set!

turn over onto another piece of baking parchment sprinkled with 1 tbs caster sugar, take off the paper that went in the oven with it spread with jam and roll quickly and tightly taking the paper away as you roll. Leave rolled up to cool.

gently unroll and spead with icing and re roll.

Repeat but roll the other way along the rectangle

slice each evenly into 1 inch pieces, the longer one will make the head and tail. Arrange on a board and cover with melted choclate, you should need 3 bars. Decorate with choc beans, and add a smiley face in writing icing.

Hope that this all makes sense, its really easy, I have done it with year 8 within an hour for the cakes and then decorated them the next day, particularly for Christmas! Its out of my head, so if you need any clarification on the instructions just ask, I did it on a seperate post so you can print it out!

Bets XxX
  • HI bets -

Sorry i've not replied til now, we've been away.

Thanks very much for this. I'm going to try the caterpillar over the weekend and Mum will try to decorate a sponge.
    I'll hed to hobbycraft for some bits - I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
    Lisa.