Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

FTAO Betsyboo

Hello,

I am so sorry to gate crash, but MKB's topic about BF vs FF came up on the home page and it looked interesting so I thought i'd have a read. Anyway you said some things in your reply which I wanted to mention.

You said: "If every mum knew the risks of formula, I am pretty sure the demands for it would not be so high".

I have a friend who had a baby very recently and also comes on BE, she is curently having an awful time with Breastfeeding, is seriously sleep deprived and litterally on the verge of PND. She has Mastitis, which has not responded to Penicillin, and she wont take any other anti-biotics (the only ones left to try are the ones that you cant mix with BF'ing) because the idea of FF is just so upsetting to her.

I have another friend (who's little girl is 18 months old now) who once burst into tears in the middle of boots, she had had to give up BF'ing because she was taking PND meds, and the shop assistant was really rude when she told her that you cant get advantage card points on formula "because you really should try and breastfeed".

Anyway - I just wanted to remind you that Formula is not poision, and that mum's should not be made to feel guilty about the choices they make. Also, this is a public forum, so anyone can read what you have said. Yes it is OK to have a healthy debate about BF vs FF but please be careful about saying things like this, because your words can have a powerful effect on other people. Imagine if either of these women saw what you had put?

I hope you dont mind me posting in this way, I know you are not a nasty person and I am sure you wouldn;t intentionally upset anyone, which is why I just wanted to make you aware of this. (also - I didn't want to hijack MKB's thread).

Take care.
N&N

Replies

• "I reckon mums shouldn't be asked whether or not they will breast feed, it should just be assumed that they will, and when they don't they need a strong conviction that they are doing the best by their child in not giving them breast milk. If every mum knew the risks of formula, I am pretty sure the demands for it would not be so high, or like in some scandanavian countries where formula is only available on prescription."

I get your point, perhaps they should supply a leaflet like they do in canada entitled the risks of formula feeding in the uk.

I accept that it's not always possible for everyone to breastfeed, but to discredit it as an option before even trying, or when a mum is let down by society, health professionals and the government in not supporting breastfeeding to the maximum when she is struggling is not good enough for any of us. FF is seen to be the easier option, but it isn't, yet the whole breast is best sets an unfair expectation on mums.

Mums need to be given help and support and breastfeeding would be miles easier, and if they have tried and failed, IT IS NOT A FAILURE, because at least they tried, and even the tiniest bit of breastmilk makes a difference to every child.

Final note, I don't mind your post at all, I wouldn't upset or offend anyone on purpose, and I will always back up my point or explain my views if need be! Glad your friends at least gave it a go, and sorry to hear one is struggling, get her to get in touch with her local breast feeding co ordinator or ring the breast feeding network

Bets XxX
  • www.infactcanada.ca/RisksofFormulaFeeding.pdf

just for reference!
  • I am not going to get into a debate about the pro's and cons of breastfeeding versus formula but I do wonder what makes you put your points accross in such an agressive way, and why you feel the need to try and convince everyone to think the same way as you do.

I just wanted to point out how damaging off the cuff comments can be, and how you can cause massive hurt and upset without meaning too. Imagine if a mother decided not to take PND meds because of some stupid comment you made on a forum, would you be able to live with yourself if something terrible happened?

Anyway - I have said what I came in here to say, so I will toddle back to where I came from.
    Take care.

Nx