Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

6 months and still not rolling!

Hi girls, well Roisin is 6 and a half months now but she STILL doesn't roll back to front. She HATES tummy time (which could be why she doesn't roll ...) so can roll from front to back to get out of the position, the cheeky monkey. She's pretty mobile, if a toy is out of reach she can get up on her side and swivel herself around to it, she can easily swivel round 360 degrees. She often looks on the verge of rolling but then just goes back onto her back- she's teasing me lol! She basically shows no interest in rolling over, it's not that she's struggling and can't. Does this sound okay? :\?

Replies

• Alfie is exactly the same! He hates tummy time and shows no interest in wanting to roll over. He gets frustrated and instead buries his face in the blanket snorting!! He too can swivel and when sat on my knee he tries to sit up but rolling..... noooo way!
    I'm not worrying too much as every baby is different and develops at different rates.

Shell xx
  • Cailey is not rolling back to front or front to back.... she also buries her face in the blanket snorting n grumping haha!
    She doesnt take her own weight on her legs either if you stand her up, she doesnt jump in her jumperoo or in her walker unless she is getting frustrated!
    Like Shell says they are all different!
    I am abit worried about her legs though so Im going to speak to my HV on tues.

XXX
  • Hey my eldest wasn't showing any signs of rolling even by 7 months (just looked back in her baby book) and hated tummy time, then between 8 and 9 months she just bloomed and did everything and was walking by 11 months which made me cry - i know we should want them to get on but i was so sad that she was doing things so fast - my seconded never really rolled but could sit up unaided before six months, he wouldn't lie on his tummy and take weight on his arms he too would bury his face and splutter - he shuffled everywhere on his bottom and pulled himself up on the furniture to get around and also walked early, Iris my third is different again she has just this week started to roll over (she''ll be 7 months tomorrow) and loves tummy time and sort of commando shuffles on her tummy to get to toys and stuff but hates baring weight on her legs and gets quite upset at it (they are rather chunky hahaha), they are all different at this age and so fab, i love, love, love this age they're still proper babies but with character and personality, gorgeous.
    Jo xxx
  • Agreed Jojo absolutely loving this age! Micah is an absolute joy, so much character. He is nearly 6 & half months but can only roll onto his side (never gone front to back or back to front, just stays on his side or rolls back the way he came). However, he started sitting up beautifully a few days before he turned 6 months. He's a pro, corrects himself so well if he starts to tilt too far in one direction and even sits well on unstable ground (like a duvet). He tolerates tummy time for a short while but then like Alfie & Cailey he buries his head in the blanket. He moves his legs like he's trying to crawl but just doesn't go anywhere bless him image

xx
  • Thank you all, v reassuring. I really try to avoid comparing my baby, I just wanted to make sure that she hadn't missed a major milestone.

Agreed, this is an absolutely magical age and I love it so much. Can't believe I'm back to work in 8 weeks, devastated!

Helen x
  • Hi hun - try not to worry ever baby is so different.

My goddaughter did NOTHING until just before she was 10months. Her Mum and Dad were getting really worried that there may be a problem and had booked a docs appointment for her. Then she rolled over that very day. The next day she crawled over to the sofa, pulled herself up and walked along using the sofa!! Crazy!!

I'm too loving this time - H is a little live wire and I've got to be on my toes all the time but he is ace! I'm dreading going back to work.

Lisa xx
  • Bebe-ana hates rolling / tummy time!!

She prefers sitting up and walking! xxxx
  • Well, on mother's day when R????is????n was exactly 7 months she did it, she rolled! And she hasn't stopped ever since, nightmare! Ah you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, bring back the pre-rolling days, please! x
  • Ah crikey that was a good Mothers Day present! (or not) Jack still only goes onto his side and was 7 months last sunday so there's time yet. He is sitting a lot better so I bet it will be coming soon! Time for eyes in the back of your head! lol

K x
  • Don't worry hun!

Grace only rolls if she wants something; today it was Daddy's Wii games in the unit under the tv. I was putting the washing in the tumbler, and came back to find them flung all over the floor. lol!

xx