Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Returning to Work (also in Baby)

I am hoping for some advice or experiences, please image

My little lady is six months old, and I am currently deciding whether to return to work. I really do appreciate that I am very lucky to be in a position where this is a choice, so please don't think this isn't the case!

Originally, I had intended to become a SAHM but am now wondering whether to return in September when Grace turns one. I'm a bank manager, but can return on a 3 day week basis. In many respects, I hate the prospect of leaving Grace, however having looked at a few nurseries, one in particular seems fantastic.

We had another look around yesterday, and I left Grace for a while and watched her via the CCTV in the manager's office. She had a fab time. Generally, she is very sociable and I wonder whether a stimulating environment in a good nursery would be best for three days of the week, and four days with me. They have so many different activities, and I think it may be that some time at nursery would be better for her as there is much more variety and learning opportunities that I feel I could provide.

In addition, I suffered from post traumatic stress after Grace's birth and a touch of PND and wonder if some 'me' time would be a good thing, or not.

The nursery is expensive, so my decision will not be financially motivated as I will have little left over! I have to decide quickly, as there is only one space left and a deposit of almost ??1000 (eek) is required so I can't change my mind easily!

Has anyone been in a similar position, and willing to share their experiences, please?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Em x

Replies

• Hi Emma. I'm going back 3 days per week and have always worked ever since me first son (now almost 13) was born. I'm going back 3 days starting April and although it is hard leaving them, it does get easier when you know they're fine without you. I also found it helped with the transition to nursery, then school as they weren't only used to being with me. I've been doing the KIT days and have done one day per week since January and it's been great to get back into it gradually. Would this be possible where you work and do a few days whilst still on maternity leave without anything concrete? I'm a college lecturer and the thought of dealing with mainly hormonal teenage girls when I'm still hormonal, filled me with dread but after the first day I felt like I'd never been away - but in a good sense,

I actually enjoy dressing up for work, doing my hair and putting my make up on. I have a little sing to the radio on the way to work in the car which cheers me up after leaving my baby boy. I miss him loads but I know he's in good hands and I dont think that me working has ever had an adverse effect on my big lad.

Just after xmas, I was very down and posted about losing my identity. I felt like a shadow of my former self and my self esteem was rock bottom but def did me good getting back to some sort of routine but others may enjoy having the time at home so it is a very personal choice. I'm very independent and although we are fortunate at the moment not to rely on my wage for the bills, it means that my wage is for luxuries and enjoying the free time that we do have together. Even though we're married and share our money, I still like to contribute to the pot and not feel guilty about hitting the estee lauder counter now and againimage

My parents are retired so dont pay for childcare apart from the odd treat that I plan for them so not sure from a childcare point of view but I think you can get childcare rebates with tax credits? We are only entitled to the most basic tax credit which works out at about ??60 per month for 2 kids but hey ho - better than nowt! ha ha

Good luck with whatever you decide

Kirsty x
  • Hi Kirsty,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond image I found your post really reassuring.

My mom was originally going to look after Grace twice a week but my stepdad, who has been ill for a long time, is getting progressively worse and I don't want to put too much pressure on her at the mo!

I have filled in the nursery registration form and am intending to drop it in tomorrow. I am beginning now to think it will do both of us some good!

We don't qualify for tax credits unfortunately, but I will be able to use the childcare vouchers from my employer so that saves over ??900 a year in tax and NI which will help out a bit.

Thank you again!

I hope your KIT days are still going well - mentioned to my boss about doing some in July and August and starting back in the office 3 days from September.

Em xx
  • Sounds good Emma! As I say it's a very personal choice but if you're used to working and have a responsible job - as you do, it may be too much of a culture shock to stop altogether.

KIT days are great and it's fab just walzing in and out with no worries. One bonus is that if you don't like or or Grace wont settle, you can always change your mind.

As you say, it may do you both good. Let us know how you get on xxx