Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Lactose intolerance!

Hi there,
I've been a member of this site for a while but never posted anything on the forum. My little girl is just over 1 year old (12 august is her bday) and we're having a dilemma... Just wondered if anyone knew anything about lactose free milk/soya milk for toddlers?? She's completley intolerant to cows milk, cheese and yoghurts, she even gets a whiff of them and she's screaming the place down with tummy cramps :\( The health visitor says just introduce things slowly but nothing seems to work...

She's on the infasoy formula at the mo but it's so expensive so i was thinking of trying her with Lactofree or Soya milk? Is this wise?
xxx

Replies

• Hi hun,
    I have no advice for you but there a couple of ladies in here who have little ones who are lactose intolerant..... so im sure they will defo be able to help you! Possibly if you look through some old topics there may be soemhting there that will help you just now.
    I hope its something your daughter will grow out of.
    xxx
  • Hi

My little one is intolerant to milk but can just about manage it in very small doses. He has oat milk with cereal. Not sure about formula as I'm still breastfeeding. The best lady to ask is Mrs N as her little on is allergic to milk and she will be the best one to give advice. I would go to the doctors and ask them to prescribe some formula for little one. I did read on another topic that one of the ladies was adding drops of milk to her little girls food and gradually building it up to get her body intolerant to it. You could try that.

Not been much help really. ggod luck x
  • Thanks girls.. It's so difficult and I worry about her not getting the vitamins and things from milk now that she's getting older. She had a teeny bit of cows milk in her porridge this morning so i'll see how it goes xxxx
  • Hi Babylams, George is lactose intolerant and has a cows milk allergy (two separate things) I get Georges formula on prescription and have always done, you really should go and see your GP.

George gets eczema and diarrhea when he has alot of cows milk, which doesnt sound quite so bad as your LO or Mrs Ns Harrison.

I have tried weaning him onto Cows milk recently but I fear its not suitable still as hes had a reaction the last week. Im hoping my HV is going to refer us to the Dietician at our 12 month check as promised. I do know they arent too keen on seeing them before then as many children grow out of it by the time they're 1.

George has Aptamil Pepti formula btw. Drop me a PM if you want any advice but as the other girls have said Mrs N is pretty hot on the subject so might be able to help you further, but Im happy to chat if you want to.

Claire xx