Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 09

Homemade meals

Hey everyone....

Just been looking through the weaning pics..... image fab photos, I still havent posted any yet!

I just want to ask what homemade meals you all feed your little hungry monsters?
Cailey loves her food and Im looking to try new things!

Any recipes or ideas you could give me to help vary things would be fab! Also as Im now back to work meals which I could make and freeze batches of would be great for Cailey and Daddy to defrost for when Im on evening shifts.

Also can LO have mashed potato with cows milk and butter in? She had a taste but Im not sure! Can it be frozen? :\?

Thanks ladies.... I know you will come back with some great advice.

xxxx

Replies

• Hiya Sugar! I make mash with cows milk and unsalted butter and Roisin loves it. Have mixed it with peas, carrots, courgettes, swede amongst other things and she's always wolfed it down. I use the Heinz Home Made sauce pouches (such as chicken gravy) to jazz it up a bit. And yes, it can be frozen.

Looking forward to seeing what recipes the Aug girlies post, I'm such a crap cook! x
  • James loves his food, his favourites are -

Brochili and salmon with a cheese sauce
    Roast dinner - full roast just mashed up or as finger food
    Inside of a jacket potato with tuna and cucumber
    Meatballs with a tomato sauce
    Soups - leek and potato, butternut squash and sweetcorn etc

These are all homemade, basically he eats a smaller version of what we have, including quorn and meat - apart from pork as its too salty.

We use the baby stock cubes too which are handy for the soups if you don't make the stock yourself.
  • I still feel a bit weary (sp?) of Lily eating proper food like ours? She much prefers the jars at the minute so im kinda sticking with them as she wolfs them down, we are onto stage 2 that are quite lumpy and she loves them.

If i make shepards pie, bolognese etc can she just have that? how would i avoid her having our gravy inside the shepards pie for example? and i make my bolognese with a ragu jar sauce....can she have this? xxx
  • Joe loves mini burgers with veg

I use mince lamb or turkey with a grated carrot and a grated apple squished together with a bit of garlic puree or tomato puree and sometimes corriander. Formed into little burger shapes and baked for 20 minutes. They do take some chewing but he loves them.

We have jacket potato with olive oil and tuna as Joe is allergic to dairy. My health visitor said that he can eat whatever we eat as long as it isnt processed and has no added salt. Another quick solution for dad is slightly overcooked pasta with a jar or 4 month puree veg & chicken as sauce.

K x x x
  • Ratatoullie - My version for Joe was

Tinned toms
    Courgettes
    Garlic
    Peppers
    Tinned sweetcorn

All in a oven proof dish for 30 mins in the oven, allow to cool (also started putting strips of chicken in)

We are blw x x x
  • Newlook - I would avoid any jar sauces as they usually contain quite a bit of salt, she could have spag bol though it would just need to be made from scratch which doesnt take too long and if you make lots then you could freeze some for future meals.

I have tons of food in the freezer for James and if were eating something that James cant have then I whip one out and heat it up in the microwave, has to be piping hot though. x
  • Hi,my twins only eat "real" food,mainly because I can't afford to feed them 12 jars a day! (2 each at each meal). They love all sorts,and most of it is very simple to make.

Cottage pie
    Vegetable soup with extra potato
    Leek and potato soup
    Chicken dinners
    Butterbean and Tomato soup
    Cream cheese,broccoli and pea pasta
    Sausage and mash
    Fish pie

They can pretty much have anything you eat,although I don't use any salt or much onion/garlic in their food. They particularly love homemade macaroni cheese (homemade cheese sauce with baby pasta and breadcrumbs grilled in the oven) Most things are freezable for a few months and all you have to do is spend a day a week cooking then taking out meals to defrost when you feel like it. I've used cows milk and butter in cooking since they first started weaning,they also have milk with their weetabix/cereal.

Agree with Jem27,shop bought sauces/soups etc contain a lot of salt and preserving agents so don't allow much.

Desserts are easy to do too,banana custard,blitzed apple,banana and fromage frais etc. Good luck!
  • Oooh I'm getting some great ideas off this thread. Issy loves her food! I'm always on the look out for new recipes for her to try. To be honest I tend to play it a bit "safe" with what I give her. She loves big flavours such as spag bol etc though so will defo try some of your ideas.
    I need another day cooking and freezing soon as my stocks are running low!

Her faves are:
    Spaghetti bolognaise
    Cottage pie
    Any tomatoey pasta dish
    Sunday dinners
    Vegetables in cheese sauce
    Lamb stew

I'm gonna try the mini burgers! I bet she'd love them and i'm sure daddy would too!
    x

[Modified by: Sapphire on March 25, 2010 05:55 PM]

• I've made up a couple of batches of Annabel Karmel recipes for madam this evening, but can't recommend them yet as she hasn't had any!

Salmon with Carrots and Tomatoes
    poach some salmon in the microwave/ on the hob, sautee a tomato (peeled) and add grated cheese til it melts, mash carrots and then flake the salmon and mix it up!

Tasty Fish in Cheese Sauce
    Poach cod and steam some peas, carrots and brocolli. Use the milk from the cod to make a cheese sauce (with butter, flour and grated cheese) and mix up!

They both tasted good to me, lol.

Grace generally loves pasta (normal penne) with a cheesy sauce and bits of veg or strips of chicken to chew on!

Grace tends to eat a lot of finger foods in the day but I do find it awkward deciding what to give her for her tea in the week, as she goes to bed before hubby gets home so can't eat with us!

This thread was a great idea, Sweetassugar, and thanks for the ideas ladies!

Em xx
  • I have taken a load of recipes from Gina Ford's weaning book. They are fab. I have never been able to follow her routines but the weaning book is really good. a really nice one is Lamb hotpot:

250g lamb fillet (I just get cubed lamb and chop it up into smaller pieces)
    3 carrots diced
    3 potatoes diced
    swede diced ( I have been cheating and using frozen)
    1/2 pint vegetable stock (I have been making my own. Really easy, 1 carrot, 2 leeks, 3 sticks of celery and 2 1/2 pints of water and leave to boil for an hour, then strain) or could use baby stock cubes

Whack it into a casserole in the oven on 180 degrees for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. I take a couple of servings out for myself for my tea for 2 nights and the rest I puree and freeze. You can also make it with beef. It is so nice x
  • fab girlies thank you so much.... some of them recipes sound yummy!
    Im gonna spend a day cooking and freezing, I really enjoy cooking! image

Im gonna print this off haha

Thanks again!

xxx
  • Me too sweetassugar! I'm off to Sainsburys to stock up on ingrediants image
    xxxxx