Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Aug 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone telling family at Christmas?

Hi,

I just wondered if any of you are planning of telling family at Christmas? We are thinking of telling our parents then - I will be 6 weeks and hopefully just had or about to have an EPU scan at the time.

Has anyone told anyone yet? Kinda scared to in a way... it's not like I am 16 (almost twice that in fact!) but still anxious about it!

CeeLou xx

Replies

• Hi Ceelou, my parents are coming over from Australia for Xmas so we are going to tell them and my inlaws on Xmas day. I have ordered a 'big brother' bib for my DS to wear and we are just going to wait till someone notices.

We are not telling friends until after our 12 week scan. I was petrified telling my parents when we were pregnant with my DS even though we were married and had been together for 6 years. I just felt like I had been naughty! Haha

• Hi Oscarsmum,

How lovely to have your family together to tell them! My DH's family are in Canada so will probably have to tell them over skype! I want to make telling our families 'special' but also don't want to make a big deal over it as we had an MC with our first pregnancy... arrgghh the stress of it all!

As for friends, I am in the same camp as you - waiting until after our 12wk scan...

I love the idea of the bib! image

CeeLou x
  • I'm really sorry for your earlier miscarriage but stay positive and try not to think that it will happen again. Easier said than done and I have never gone through a m/c so can't even imagine the pain.

Don't hesitate about making a big deal with your family, because it is a big deal and such a special time.

It's so damn scary though hey! I wish our bellys were see through so we could check that everything is ok.

How do you think you are going to tell your parents?

Im so excited about my parents coming over and I'm looking forward to suprising them all. My MIL keeps looking at my belly everytime she see's me and I know she is trying to guess it but it's my leftover jelly belly from having my DS. although I am feeling so bloated already!

• Hi Ladies,

I couldn't help but ring my mum straight after I told my husband but we have decided not to tell anyone else until after the 12wk scan, I didn't have a very good pregnancy the last time round so would prefer to wait until we get the all clear image I find myself just wanting to wish the time away until the first scan, this is the worst part of pregnancy for me lol.
  • CeeLou, I'm scared too! Not planning on telling anyone until after the 12 week scan, though I'm sure my Mum will find me out immediately when she comes for Christmas. No alcohol, no blue cheese, no pate, no runny eggs... it will take her about 5 mins!! Good luck everyone. xx
  • Hey everyone, I'm still debating what to do - it feels so early, I will be 6 weeks on Christmas day. I have told a couple of close girlfriends and one was super excited the other was more 'well let's wait and see what happens'... made me question whether to wait to tell my family...

Too much to think about!
  • We've told our mums already and I've told my best friends as they are the ones I turn to for everything. The MIL's nose is so out of joint though as MH's brother and sister doesn't know yet! She actually had the nerve to ask if it was planned too, we just got married so it was planned. She is very rude but she is annoyed my friends know first before her family............she is now putting pressure on us to tell our families on xmas day!! She is a retired midwife nurse too so should know better!

I am the total party animal in our friends and family so I am sure people will guess straight away as soon as I'm not drinking but it should still be our decision - not the MIL's!!

Rant over haha x