Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Aug 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hormones and early scans...

How are we all doing?

I went to the docs tonight to get my pregnancy confirmed and it has played havoc with me. Made it seem real which is great but also made me scared I may lose it again. To make it worse I've just had a row with DH and now I'm a mess. I am sure it's just my hormones going nuts image

Has any one had or considering a private scan? Despite my history I've not been offered an early scan and been told it will be at 10-12 weeks which is still 5-7 weeks away and I don't know I can wait that lone. I really thought I'd get an early option. I'm going to see another doc on Thursday as he is the 'maternity' doc and likes to meet all pregnant women so have a 2nd chance with him but not hopeful.

Any one got any suggestions how to get my hormones under control?

CeeLou xx

Replies

• Hi Hun, ah hormones!! I have been ok so far, just really teary and feel like crying from happiness everytime I think about being pregnant again. And sometimes I will say to my DS 'you will be such a great big brother' then I burst into tears!

Last pregnancy my DH deserved a medal for not divorcing me in the 1st trimester! I would pick an argument or if he annoyed me I would turn it into a row and shout and tell him he doesn't understand and that if wasn't the hormones it's him. Then I would cry on the sofa. Then like someone hit the switch I would realise I was being a cow and would apologise and want cuddles! It's crazy as it feels like you have no control of your emotions.

re: early scan. I think every hospital and borough have different rules. I know people just request them and they get one and I have a good friend who has numerous mc and literally had to beg for an early scan. Maybe explain that that you really feel it would put your mind at ease considering what has happened in the past.

Sorry, I dont know much about it. I got an early scan last time at 11weeks as I had some bleeding and that was my GP who organized that.

Good luck x x
  • Hi Oscarsmummy... well you just made me laugh! I am sitting on the coach, crying and feeling like a cow after picking a fight..! Kinda feel better that it's not just me being a total witch!

Hoping doc number 2 will be more forthcoming with an early scan... if not I think Mr Credit Card might have to stump up for one, I am literally going bonkers! I think I can just walk into the EPU (at least I certainly saw people doing that when I was there undergoing scans for the MC) but not sure I am ballsy enough... too much of a rule follower!

Cx
  • Maybe see what doc#2 says first then just go for it. You have nothing to lose, otherwise maybe book a private. Try not to worry to much but waiting to get to 12 weeks seems like eternity though!

Haha! I'm pleased I amused! It's funny when I think back about it. I was horrible! The worse thing my hubby could and would say to me was 'I'm not going to react because I know it's just your hormones'. That would set me right off!!

• Oooo, these hormones! I was so grumpy and irritable this morning and then all of a sudden fine again. Keep getting teary over Christmas songs...was listening to Fairytale in New York and couldn't sing along as I kept choking up! Madness.

I would try and insist on a scan, I don't know about you but I'm always just the good girl who never wants to rock the boat, but I think who shouts loudest gets heard! Totally understand why you would want one. Good luck and hope you get it! X
  • I think you should try and insist to the 2nd doctor that you would like an early scan, at least it will put your mind at rest. We have a private scan booked for 4th jan when i should be about 8 weeks. I dont think i can wait until 12 weeks.

Let us know how it goes on Thursday.

• Assuming this one sticks we'll be going for a scan at 7/8 weeks. I am too scared to make an appointment at the moment, but assuming everything is still ok after Xmas I will phone. I wouldn't want to wait for 12 weeks to see the pea. Plus Mr P is v keen on scans - he's already planning a 4d one later.

Ceelou - Personally I wouldn't bother with another doctor's appointment and I certainly wouldn't pay for one - go down to your EPU. We all pay our taxes, that's what the facility is there for. At my EPU you can self refer so I say go down there, say you're concerned and ask for a scan. They can't chuck you out or say no.

I have a history of m/c and of ovarian cysts (that normally burst painfully) and even then they wouldn't scan me last time. My doctor told me to self-refer to the EPU.

• Thanks Pozzee - will call them now and check their referal system image I know the EPU well!

Cx
  • Did you manage to get through to the EPU? I hope they agreed to scan you.

I had a mc before my DS and as I was so worried about it happening again we paid for a private 7 week scan, we will be doing the same this time too! x