Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in August 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Moving Little one to their own bed

Hi ladies

I have tried to move Jacob into his own bed the last couple of nights but it has gone very badly ! he will settle himself off in there but then wakes up after about an hour and gets very distressed , i cant even calm him when i pick him up , it takes me at least an hour to calm him down , he settles then in his bed again and then after about 5 mins starts to get upset , i tried leaving him for a while but he became so distressed again i couldnt even calm him by picking him up , i finally gave in and took him into our room and he still didnt settle ........

going to try again but im dreading it , has anyone got any tips ?? im sure its my own fault as i am too soft with him and thats basically what my MIL and others have implied when i mention it , he settled and sleptt through at my MIL's in a travel cot last week which is why i thought he was ready

HELP ! xx

Replies

• Maybe it's not because of the bed it might just unlucky and he was suffering tummy-ache or something at the same time.

Keep trying, he will soon get used to it even if it is because he doesn't like it.

We moved Noah into his own room on the 1st of Jan and he loves his room (we've took him in a few times in the day to just play so he got used to it)

Maybe you could put him down in his moses basket in his cot for a few nights and see how he copes with that?
  • I would try what missgiggles said an put whatever hes sleepin into his cot. I put my son in his bed when he was 6 weeks because i found it easier for me an hes been fine since but i did but his carrycot into it first them moved it away but he always slept on a fluffy blanket so i just moved the fluffy blanket into the cot for him to lay on an it was fine x
  • Hi ladies thanks for the advice - he sleeps in a crib so cant put that in the cot but had put his blankets in and he had his sleeping bag

mrsgiggles i think u may be right and its not the room thats the problem , tried him just sleeping downstairs tonight to test your theory and the same thing has happened as in his room , managed to get to him quicker and comfort much quicker but hes still moaning and groaning so think he may not be well

going to keep persevering with him and see if i can get him in there !

do you ladies have a nightlight in there with them ? his bedroom is pitch black .......
  • We have the lamp on to feed and then turn all the lights off. Our 5yr old has fairy lights on in bed which give off a nice light and if she remembers she turns her lamp off (she reads her books in bed), but if not she falls to sleep with her lamp on to.

Is you lo used to having light when he sleeps?

Does he have a fav teddy or anything, Noah loves to put a blanket over his face or his Geoffrey Giraffe (a flat blanket bear type thing) When he is in his cot we give him his Geoffrey cos it's smaller so there is no chance of it wrapping round him or anything, then when we check on him we move it further away from him anyway.

Hope he gets well soon and then just settles into his cot image x
  • I have similar when ive tried moving Skye into her room, its not her room thats the problem as she likes lying in the cot to play - its just she likes coming in for me.

With me I definately believe its because i am too soft and know when I go for it I will have to commit and it'll be hard work for a week or two.

Good luck x